IGNORED

Neville Thinking About England

Adams

Phil Neville is already thinking about his England prospects weeks after the bitter disappointment of missing out on the World Cup squad.

The utility defender will be in an Everton XI to face Bury in a friendly on Saturday at Gigg Lane, alongside record signing Andrew Johnson.

Everton will also send a similar strength side to play at Port Vale on Saturday, where £5million defender Joleon Lescott will be in the side.

For Neville the visit to the club where his parents work is the perfect way to start his bid to impress new England boss Steve McClaren, his former Manchester United coach.

Neville says: "The England manager knows all about me, maybe that will help. But realistically I have to be playing well for Everton, that's all that counts.

"But there's an England match even before the season starts against Greece and I would want to be involved. If I do well in pre-season maybe that will get me involved.

"The fact I did not go to Germany was a disappointment, especially after being involved in the build-up on stand-by. But that has gone now, I will move on because nothing will change what happened."

He added: "But I still believe I have an England future. I was disappointed for the lads in Germany, I wanted so much for them to do well.

"The vibes coming out of the camp were good. The manager was confident, the players were confident and we were good enough to get to the semi-finals at least.

"But it didn't happen and England under-achieved. But now there is a new manager and a new chance for everyone."