IGNORED

Gareth Barry

• 3 months later...

Yesterday I thought he was back to what we were all so impressed with last season. He broke up play very well, and used the ball intelligently.

Because of Barkley. That threat in front of Barry and McCarthy lets them get on with their jobs whilst we dnt ask more of them. (Going forward)

• 1 month later...

This isn't hindsight (I said it at the time he signed permanently), or even really based on his terrible performance yesterday, but is it starting to look like giving him a three-year contract was a bit of a balls up? I'd like to think that his form is just down to him having come back from injury too soon, but then I remember he wasn't all that good before then either :unsure: .

This isn't hindsight (I said it at the time he signed permanently), or even really based on his terrible performance yesterday, but is it starting to look like giving him a three-year contract was a bit of a balls up? I'd like to think that his form is just down to him having come back from injury too soon, but then I remember he wasn't all that good before then either :unsure: .

Last year he was fighting for a contract. I think he has become too comfortable in his role with us, which seems to be untouchable now when he's fit. Martinez needs to sort him out, or he needs to leave him out.

It's not just his fitness.... His passing at times is absolutely shocking. His dithering on the ball. Needs to be dropped.

Here ya go romey..... And ya didn't even want him did ya?

Sarcasm goes straight over your head doesn't it? Look a bit further back.

I suppose. Still seems a little excessive for a 33 year old though. In some ways I'd rather spend a little more on getting in someone who could do that role for the next 5-8 years. But then you've got to take into consideration that they'll more than likely take time to bed in.

Quite pleased about that (when Greg O'Keefe said there was no truth in it).

Why? He's not a massive signing or anything to get excited about. You can tell Evertonians have been starved of success!

Monumental that we may be signing a 33 year old freebie. I'll just go and get the champagne...

I'm not saying he's a bad signing or anything but something to pop your cork over? Sad, really.

The fact it's taking Barry so long to decide speaks volumes for me.

Great. Fantastic. Over the moon.

Now, can we actually get on to adding to the squad? That'd be ace.

I was really happy when we signed barry and am eating a little humble pie now. I think the thing with Barry is that RM really needs to rotate him better. He should just have Besic and Barry switching off between matches, that will give Mo some time to get acclimatized (there you go Mike) and give Barry the rest he needs to play well.

Next year I think he'll be a squad guy, and the year after he'll be working on his coaching badges probably.

I was really happy when we signed barry and am eating a little humble pie now. I think the thing with Barry is that RM really needs to rotate him better. He should just have Besic and Barry switching off between matches, that will give Mo some time to get acclimatized (there you go Mike) and give Barry the rest he needs to play well.

Next year I think he'll be a squad guy, and the year after he'll be working on his coaching badges probably.

Exactly if RM doesn't start to manage Barry better than he currently does, he won't last 3 years.

I agree with you a lot of the time Romey but that's bollocks. He hasn't been as good since he came back from injury but he has been on of the best and most consistent players this season. That doesn't say a great deal this year but he is really important and there are no problems with his contract length. He was excellent last year as well for us and vitally important.

Even against City there are times that he is playing passes that Besic and McCarthy don't pick out and two of his passes resulting in us splitting City's midfield and lead to chances. Even when he was legless at the end, his positioning was very good, he was just turning over possession too easily.

Deacs makes a good point, he cant be rushed back from injury. He wont play now until the QPR match which should be ok and whilst I wouldn't want him playing twice a week, he does strike me as a player that will be best playing regularly enough (ie once a week).

Apart from a couple of games before his injury I'd say he's been way below what he showed last season, Bailey. There were signs of him getting back to that level but then he got injured, and we all know how he's looked since returning.

The whole team has been below that level though but his individual performances have been good IMO. I would only say he was crap against Liverpool and Chelsea before his injury (I have mentioned before that Im not as keen on him in the bigger games - he just seems startled for some reason) but he is at the same level. Compared to last season he is probably the only player who has been at that same level or close to it.

The whole team has been below that level though but his individual performances have been good IMO. I would only say he was crap against Liverpool and Chelsea before his injury (I have mentioned before that Im not as keen on him in the bigger games - he just seems startled for some reason) but he is at the same level. Compared to last season he is probably the only player who has been at that same level or close to it.

His lack of effectiveness (and McCarthy's) has been one of our biggest problems this season. He's failed to give adequate protection to the defence. So I don't think he's been anywhere near the same level as last season like you suggest.

Last season he was usually in the right place at the right time to snuff out attacks before they got to our defence (it was brilliant to watch) but this season in the majority of games he may as well not even be there for all the help he is. And his passing, which is usually his strongpoint, has been average at best!

He hasn't been close to the same level

Less of the civilised discussion you two; start throwing insults at each other immediately or I'll be handing out cards :yellow CARD: :Red card: !

You'll give the place a bad name :shaking fist:.

Go fuck yourself! :)

His lack of effectiveness (and McCarthy's) has been one of our biggest problems this season. He's failed to give adequate protection to the defence. So I don't think he's been anywhere near the same level as last season like you suggest.

Last season he was usually in the right place at the right time to snuff out attacks before they got to our defence (it was brilliant to watch) but this season in the majority of games he may as well not even be there for all the help he is. And his passing, which is usually his strongpoint, has been average at best!

I disagree and there have been games where if he wasnt involved we would have been conceding far more chances, especially when he has been covering for Baines allowing him to get further forward. He obviously doesnt have the legs of McCarthy but he knows the right place to be.

I dont agree with his passing either and a quick check on Squawka and his passing this year is 1% better and the average pass distance is the same. His chance creation is well down though.

Go fuck yourself! :)

I disagree and there have been games where if he wasnt involved we would have been conceding far more chances, especially when he has been covering for Baines allowing him to get further forward. He obviously doesnt have the legs of McCarthy but he knows the right place to be.

I dont agree with his passing either and a quick check on Squawka and his passing this year is 1% better and the average pass distance is the same. His chance creation is well down though.

We'll have to agree to disagree then!

Can't argue with the stats, however, even if it has seemed his passing hasn't been as good!

We'll have to agree to disagree then!

Can't argue with the stats, however, even if it has seemed his passing hasn't been as good!

Dont let stats stand in the way of atrocious passes in dangerous areas or getting caught on the ball frequently. He's been below poor all season and the last three games truly terrible.