IGNORED

Gareth Barry

We'll have to agree to disagree then!

Can't argue with the stats, however, even if it has seemed his passing hasn't been as good!

Fair enough.

You're way off base (as usual).

Yep course I am fella.

Dont let stats stand in the way of atrocious passes in dangerous areas or getting caught on the ball frequently. He's been below poor all season and the last three games truly terrible.

If he had been that bad then he wouldn't have had the stats I suggested. No one is arguing that he has been below form since his return but his form before his injury was as good as anyone's on the whole.

I don't think he's gone that bad 'just like that'.

The last couple of games, it tells that he definitely got rushed back into the team. With his initial injury, they thought he'd broke his leg...then a couple of weeks later he is fit again?! No chance. More like McCarthy got injured too and I think Bobby shat his pants at the thought of both McCarthy and Barry being missing.

Besides that, he hasn't been quite the same this season. But we as a unit haven't been quite the same.

Effects of Europa? Maybe.

• 4 weeks later...

He has been crap in midfield though. Not saying he carries the can as he isn't the only one. He was really important to us last season and he was still a big part of our better games early season but these last 6 or so games have been well below what you would expect of him.

If Stones is still not fit and Alcaraz is suspended then its 2 from Jags, Barry and Distin. Just like Stubbs and Weir - only worse!

Stubbs and Weir (with a little help from their friends) got us into the Champions League in 04/05.

And if you take out the three disastrous games v Arse and Spurs when we conceded sixteen goals (Stubbs/Weir wasn't the partnership in any of those incidentally) we only conceded thirty goals in the other thirty-five games.

Guest rusty747

Stubbs and Weir (with a little help from their friends) got us into the Champions League in 04/05.

Indeed they did and for a while (like Jags and Distin) were a very solid partnership. But all good things come to an end.

RM said to be looking for "last year's barry" in the transfer window this january. guess he'll need either harry potter to do some magic or a time machine to retrieve a younger barry.

He's the exact same player but mistakes are creeping into his game. The mistakes have been hefty at times. However I've never rated McCarthy & Barry sitting anyway. They offer nothing going forward and when I raised this last year everyone said "we need them to cover the fullbacks". Well the full backs aren't working anymore, so for me the partnership is as good as finished and Barry can't seem to partner anyone at the moment without having a brain fart. Martinez is now playing him centre back. I'm completely lost with it all!

He has been crap in midfield though. Not saying he carries the can as he isn't the only one. He was really important to us last season and he was still a big part of our better games early season but these last 6 or so games have been well below what you would expect of him.

So has the whole side though to be fair.

He's been very bad but I don't think his performance has effected anything in the final third where we have also been shite!

But the holding midfielders have a bug impact on what happens in the final third. At the moment Barry is taking 3 or 4 touches when he used to spread the play with one or two touches. That time gives the opposition the chance to get organised, leaving no space to exploit reducing the opportunities we have in the final third. McCarthy and Barry were brilliant together last season and both played in our best games. When you look at the best performing teams in this league (Liverpool last year with Gerrard and Henderson and Chelsea with Matt and Mikel or Ramirez at times etc). I would prefer to see the one holding player with McCarthy and Barkley just ahead of him but to say it doesn't work with such high profile examples is just wrong.

But the holding midfielders have a bug impact on what happens in the final third. At the moment Barry is taking 3 or 4 touches when he used to spread the play with one or two touches. That time gives the opposition the chance to get organised, leaving no space to exploit reducing the opportunities we have in the final third. McCarthy and Barry were brilliant together last season and both played in our best games. When you look at the best performing teams in this league (Liverpool last year with Gerrard and Henderson and Chelsea with Matt and Mikel or Ramirez at times etc). I would prefer to see the one holding player with McCarthy and Barkley just ahead of him but to say it doesn't work with such high profile examples is just wrong.

He isn't half injury-prone though... ;).

The players you mention can go both ways apart from Mikel who doesn't really get a sniff anymore.

I've pointed out Ramires before. He is exactly what you need next to a sitter like Matic or McCarthy. He can defend and attack and he's brilliant at both.

Barry & McCarthy offer very very little in the final third. I'd describe all those you mention bar Mikel & Matic as box to box players.

Fine having one sitter but someone who can play a bit in the final third is a much better system.

Guest rusty747

If we keep Barkley I seem him posing more of a threat running at the opposition from deep so if we play 2 'dm's I would like them to be either Besic and Barkley or McCarthy and Barkley.

If we keep Barkley I seem him posing more of a threat running at the opposition from deep so if we play 2 'dm's I would like them to be either Besic and Barkley or McCarthy and Barkley.

Whenever this discussion takes place in always exasperated at those who say Barkley can't play as a DM (I know you haven't said that, Rusty, just making the point). The fact is that if Barkley is playing centrally he won't be playing as a DM, he'll be a central midfielder playing box to box NEXT to a DM.

Whenever this discussion takes place in always exasperated at those who say Barkley can't play as a DM (I know you haven't said that, Rusty, just making the point). The fact is that if Barkley is playing centrally he won't be playing as a DM, he'll be a central midfielder playing box to box NEXT to a DM.

Which is something we should have been looking to do for a while. Especially now teams are neutralising Coleman and Baines.

Have to say I'm in agreeance with MC here, Barry and McCarthy are too similat in a way that they are both sitters neither get forward much or are very attack minded.

A box to boxer who can play both ways next to a solid dm is what we need.

Barkley could well be that player but he's hyped up too much as a cam I think for that to become a reality.

The players you mention can go both ways apart from Mikel who doesn't really get a sniff anymore.

I've pointed out Ramires before. He is exactly what you need next to a sitter like Matic or McCarthy. He can defend and attack and he's brilliant at both.

Barry & McCarthy offer very very little in the final third. I'd describe all those you mention bar Mikel & Matic as box to box players.

Fine having one sitter but someone who can play a bit in the final third is a much better system.

Ramirez!? The man who literally can't make a 5 yard pass?

Barry is our sitter and McCarthy is the box to box man. Sometimes I do think he needs to break forward more because he makes some good runs and generally makes the right decision. He isn't going to skin anyone and play it through the eye of a needle but he will draw a defender off him, and identify where we have an overlap. You only have to look at the yardage he covers to see that he does play that type of role.

The other players might be more associated with box to box roles but they didn't play it and again if the two of them don't suit each other then why where they so instrumental in our best games last season and why did we look lost without one of them last season?

Ramirez!? The man who literally can't make a 5 yard pass?

Barry is our sitter and McCarthy is the box to box man. Sometimes I do think he needs to break forward more because he makes some good runs and generally makes the right decision. He isn't going to skin anyone and play it through the eye of a needle but he will draw a defender off him, and identify where we have an overlap. You only have to look at the yardage he covers to see that he does play that type of role.

The other players might be more associated with box to box roles but they didn't play it and again if the two of them don't suit each other then why where they so instrumental in our best games last season and why did we look lost without one of them last season?

McCarthy is not a box to box midfielder. He doesn't offer enough in the final third to be considered one.

Ramires is a brilliant all round midfielder and would walk in this side in front of anyone in that position. If you think otherwise you're nuts. 84% pass completion says he's in and around all the top midfield players on passing ability.

Edited by MC11

• 8 months later...