IGNORED

Kevin Mirallas

Think he's probably just trying to give him some confidence because he's been pretty awful so far this season.

Undoubtedly but Im pretty sure Mirallas knows that he hasn't been firing on all cylinders this season

I can understand a manager wanting to boost a players confidence but he has pretty much gone around the entire squad at some point this season with similar comments. I just think it starts to sound a little empty after a while, hence why I say I take this stuff with a pinch of salt

But he hasn't! He's been crap at helping his partner out. Coleman was shouting at him constantly in our last game.

I didn't see the Spurs game and I've read that apparently that was his worst game so far this season, but just because Coleman's shouting at him doesn't necessarily mean that Coleman's right. Maybe it wasn't Mirallas' assignment to help him out in deep areas etc. Martinez says in the article linked that "he gives you that threat in transition, an out-ball." so maybe he isn't required to follow the left back too deep, similar to how Ronaldo stays ahead of the ball most of the time to fully use his counter-attacking threat. That seems quite conceivable to me, especially considering he was up against Vertonghen who doesn't have the speed to keep up with him. When Belgium played Croatia a couple of weeks back, Croatia used the same strategy and played lots of long diagonals in behind Vertonghen as well, didn't work well for them but there's nothing wrong with it in theory.

I didn't see the Spurs game and I've read that apparently that was his worst game so far this season, but just because Coleman's shouting at him doesn't necessarily mean that Coleman's right. Maybe it wasn't Mirallas' assignment to help him out in deep areas etc. Martinez says in the article linked that "he gives you that threat in transition, an out-ball." so maybe he isn't required to follow the left back too deep, similar to how Ronaldo stays ahead of the ball most of the time to fully use his counter-attacking threat. That seems quite conceivable to me, especially considering he was up against Vertonghen who doesn't have the speed to keep up with him. When Belgium played Croatia a couple of weeks back, Croatia used the same strategy and played lots of long diagonals in behind Vertonghen as well, didn't work well for them but there's nothing wrong with it in theory.

Vertongham made an idiot out of him all game long, and he gave him zero trouble in return. He was as weak as a toddler, lost the ball all game long, did nothing with the ball when he did have it, and Coleman was completely right to be shouting at him - Spurs were killing us down our right and Mirallas did absolutely nothing to stop Coleman being double teamed and was always wandering away from their player, meaning they always had an easy ball. He was shite in every way, and it's not the first time this season that he's hung his partner out to dry.

Vertongham made an idiot out of him all game long, and he gave him zero trouble in return. He was as weak as a toddler, lost the ball all game long, did nothing with the ball when he did have it, and Coleman was completely right to be shouting at him - Spurs were killing us down our right and Mirallas did absolutely nothing to stop Coleman being double teamed and was always wandering away from their player, meaning they always had an easy ball. He was shite in every way, and it's not the first time this season that he's hung his partner out to dry.

You have no idea whether Coleman was right to be shouting at him unless you were in the lockerroom before the game or on the training pitch this past week. Like Cruyff said, "every disadvantage has its advantage" and if there were two Spurs players in Coleman's area that means there were none in Mirallas' vicinity, unless they slide someone over but then there's space for someone else. I'm not argueing with you about him being shit when he had the ball because everyone says so and that's obviously a huge problem if he was freed of part of his defensive duties so he was probably rightfully subbed for that.

You have no idea whether Coleman was right to be shouting at him unless you were in the lockerroom before the game or on the training pitch this past week. Like Cruyff said, "every disadvantage has its advantage" and if there were two Spurs players in Coleman's area that means there were none in Mirallas' vicinity, unless they slide someone over but then there's space for someone else. I'm not argueing with you about him being shit when he had the ball because everyone says so and that's obviously a huge problem if he was freed of part of his defensive duties so he was probably rightfully subbed for that.

So which is it then - his poor performances have been down to him being more defensive, or his complete lack of any defensive work is because he's being asked to commit more to attacking? :rofl:

i believe Mirallas should play on the left if we want him to score goals -

he did well there till Suarez stood on his ankle last season-

Delefue on the right and Barkley or Pienaar behind striker

The problem is it would break up Baines - Pienaar on the left. Not that it has been effective recently, so personally I would be all for Mirallas on the left and Deulofeu on the right. Martinez seems to think we can't have both on the pitch at the same time at the moment maybe because they don't help much defensively, but we should definitely give it a try at some point. Pienaar doesn't even look 100% fit.

The problem is it would break up Baines - Pienaar on the left. Not that it has been effective recently, so personally I would be all for Mirallas on the left and Deulofeu on the right. Martinez seems to think we can't have both on the pitch at the same time at the moment maybe because they don't help much defensively, but we should definitely give it a try at some point. Pienaar doesn't even look 100% fit.

Yup.....Baines/Pienaar need breaking up for a game or two, been really ineffective most of this season, possibly feeling too secure in their places. Pienaar's "flicks" make me want to batter his face with a cricket bat engraved with "God Expects Better!"

Guest blueboy122

I'd be tempted to play Deulofeu behind Lukaku rather than out wide.

Not for me, doesn't use the ball well enough his ball retention is awful. Don't want him giving the ball away in the middle of the park.

Guest blueboy122

Having said that suppose he would have Barry & McCarthy doing the dirty work for him and he would win a lot of free kicks for us and can spot a killer pass.

Difficult one.

Guest blueboy122

He wouldn't be in the middle of the park, he'd be higher up the pitch where his mistakes wouldn't hurt us as badly. That's why Barkley's been played there.

That's where we are most volatile though its a lot more dangerous to lose the ball in a central position than it is to lose it out wide. I think he would prove to much of a risk to be used there, as I imagine him dribbling in stupid positions etc.

Like Steve_E says, he is leading in assists and chances created which doesnt show that he is completely ineffective. In fact he has more assists than he did last year already in the league.

I also think Steve_E is right in saying that Mirallas has been left forward because its the same tactic he employes with McManaman at Wigan. We have seen it at times with Deulofeu as well, although when he came on against Spurs he also helped Coleman out a lot more so its not really conclusive. I'm not sure Martinez would keep starting him if he wasn't doing what he said! I do think Mirallas is a bit lightweight though and he always has been. Against strong FB's he can be too easily brushed off the ball and whilst Mirallas hasnt been helping Coleman defensively Coleman sure as fuck hasnt been helping Mirallas offensively either! Mirallas certainly does need to up his game though.

With regards to Deulofeu behind the striker, I'm not really sure how well that would work. He also isnt strong enough to be going up against CB's and DM's who will be on top of him if he played in that area. Keep him on the wing and let him drift inside like he does as that is when he will be at his most effective.