IGNORED

Same old Everton

MC11

Everything looked bright at the start. Now we find ourselves well off the pace and I can't see us catching after the dire performances of late!!

Spurs and Liverpool keep winning both took 3 points of us.

We were in a fantastic position, but now I'm afraid our season is looking to be no better than under Moyes.

Failure to sign a proven goalscorer in January will come back to bite us and only one man to blame for that.

Lukaku is not a Suarez, Sturridge or Adebayor. He's not good enough, those players are carrying their sides with goals!

I'm furious watching these other sides go and turn teams over whilst we now slip. There's only so much you can give in leeway.

We should have strengthened in January. We have the money!

Its no more than I expected to be honest

All the Moyes bashers would be up in arms if we did this under him but the simple matter of the fact is your not going to get into the top four without the money to back you up

We may play the ball around the back four a bit more but fuck all else has changed and its not likely to unless we can afford to compete financially

Very evident where we at lacking if late....Up front. Why the fuck aren't we spending the money?

I hope for Christ we aren't saving £20m+ for Lukaku. We need a 25 goal a season striker.

Going to be completely honest here as well. I'm not the biggest fan of McCarthy. He either goes about his game quietly or I just don't think he offers much. I know loads of fans rave about him but for me I'm not convinced yet! I don't know what it is. I just don't see his impact on the team.

At the start of the season I'd have snapped your arm off if you offered me 6th under a new manager (who's experience to date was being relegation fodder with Wigan). United & Moyes have shown how hard it can be to make a change so if you think that coming 6th is 'same old Everton' you need to find another team.

We are doing exceptionally well and it's laughable to think that the race for 4th is over. We are 8 points behind Liverpool (admittedly that's quite a gap) but are only 5 points behind Spurs with a game in hand. If they lose one and we win (which is likely given how shaky Sherwood is) then we're right back in it.

Truly baffled as to how anyone can moan at this season's performance.

Edit: James McCarthy has probably been player of the season for me.

Edited by Zoo

Duncan the money was there to spend. There's at least £20+ million floating somewhere. It's being held back and I don't know why same last January under Moyes. In a great position and never spent. Why can everyone see it but the Everton managers?

Very evident where we at lacking if late....Up front. Why the fuck aren't we spending the money?

I hope for Christ we aren't saving £20m+ for Lukaku. We need a 25 goal a season striker.

Going to be completely honest here as well. I'm not the biggest fan of McCarthy. He either goes about his game quietly or I just don't think he offers much. I know loads of fans rave about him but for me I'm not convinced yet! I don't know what it is. I just don't see his impact on the team.

Got to disagree about McCarthy. I thought we paid over the odds for him but he is like Peter Ried with legs and is only going to get better with experience

At the start of the season I'd have snapped your arm off if you offered me 6th under a new manager (who's experience to date was being relegation fodder with Wigan). United & Moyes have shown how hard it can be to make a change so if you think that coming 6th is 'same old Everton' you need to find another team.

We are doing exceptionally well and it's laughable to think that the race for 4th is over. We are 8 points behind Liverpool (admittedly that's quite a gap) but are only 5 points behind Spurs with a game in hand. If they lose one and we win (which is likely given how shaky Sherwood is) then we're right back in it.

Truly baffled as to how anyone can moan at this season's performance.

Edit: James McCarthy has probably been player of the season for me.

Why.... because we were in a great position (the same as last season) and we go and blow it. What's the incentive of catching Spurs? It's 4th we want not 5th.

Duncan the money was there to spend. There's at least £20+ million floating somewhere. It's being held back and I don't know why same last January under Moyes. In a great position and never spent. Why can everyone see it but the Everton managers?

I agree

The squad is desperately thin at the most crucial part of the season and it has cost us valuable points. We have totally blown any chance we had of 4th now and I dont see how the transfer market is going to be any better value in the summer staright after the World Cup

Not just goals Duncan, he lacks creativity, can't beat a man. Seems to drop in and out of games.

You look at Barry who's always involved. Always looking for the ball. Always looking to pass forward.

I'm just not convinced by him. Btw Reid is before my time.

I have never thought for a second that Roberto could improve our league poition an in fact Im highly impressed that he has been able to maintain it. The one area I am hoping will change is that his positivity may enhance our chances in the cup competitions

He has already done a Moyes and capitulated in the League Cup so Im pinning my hopes on the FA Cup

Strange thread title to be honest, did we play tonight and lose or something?

Maybe it should be titled, "4th looks a challenge now, let's moan about it"

Ffs we are still in the hunt, Martinez like many managers know that the type of striker we need isn't going to be available in January, unless other teams want to sell their goal threats half way through the season? In other words they don't unless you stick an extra £10m to the price.

Unsurprisingly Dunc uses this as an opportunity to further try and dilute the impact Martinez has had and compare it to some form of "just the same as Moyes but pass it round the back".... Let it go Dunc, your ex idol is being shown fir the limited manager he is.

Did anyone watch Man United tonight? Embarrassing yet again, arsenal lack lustre and they still settle for the draw.

I don't give a crap what anyone says, this season has been the first in a long long time where I have been given hope that we may return to a club with pride in how we play the game.

Not just goals Duncan, he lacks creativity, can't beat a man. Seems to drop in and out of games.

You look at Barry who's always involved. Always looking for the ball. Always looking to pass forward.

more assists than baines this season :P

Lol so Im probably wasting my time saying that Didier Deschamps was spot on when he said every good team needs a water carrier

If your looking at him to spray 40 yard passes and beat 10 men then you are going to be dissapointed but thats not his game, he breaks things up and then gives it to the more technically gifted players to do their thing. He also gives them the confidence to try things knowing that he can bail them out if it goes wrong

The lad never stops running and he is playing alongside the best mentor he could possibly have in the game, one things for certain if he moves from Everton this side of his 30th birthday I bet we make a tidy profit on him

Watch him without the ball, the hallmark of a great player is what they do without it. He is as close to a Roy Keane replacement that United could have got in terms if where he will be in a year or so.

To be honest it's probably just the frustrations of the other sides rolling on whilst we have been very stale for weeks compared to the first half of the season.

Unfortunately this is the business end and I'm probably trying to see where it's going wrong. Without Barkley ticking over we lack a link between midfield and striker.

We just haven't been great. It's all good saying the teams playing good football but it's achievement that matter and finishing 6th again is just stagnation.

I really thought we'd mix it up right until the very end. It's looking a long way off now. That's basing it on the performances of the turn of the year. We just haven't been convincing. It's worrying.

Watch him without the ball, the hallmark of a great player is what they do without it. He is as close to a Roy Keane replacement that United could have got in terms if where he will be in a year or so.

But keane played on his own. We have two sitters and Barry for me is the busier of the two, he's a much more important cog.

I just haven't been completely convinced yet. It's all very simple and ineffective for me.

Strange thread title to be honest, did we play tonight and lose or something?

Maybe it should be titled, "4th looks a challenge now, let's moan about it"

Ffs we are still in the hunt, Martinez like many managers know that the type of striker we need isn't going to be available in January, unless other teams want to sell their goal threats half way through the season? In other words they don't unless you stick an extra £10m to the price.

Unsurprisingly Dunc uses this as an opportunity to further try and dilute the impact Martinez has had and compare it to some form of "just the same as Moyes but pass it round the back".... Let it go Dunc, your ex idol is being shown fir the limited manager he is.

Did anyone watch Man United tonight? Embarrassing yet again, arsenal lack lustre and they still settle for the draw.

I don't give a crap what anyone says, this season has been the first in a long long time where I have been given hope that we may return to a club with pride in how we play the game.

Your full of shit Haf, I have never once try to " dilute the impact Martineez has had" I merely stated that any manager coming in would find it very difficult to improve on "my ex idols " league position without significant financial backing

I obviously got that wrong in your eyes but I think you will find that statistacally it wasnt a million miles away from the truth, maybe you need to practice what you preach and its you who needs to let it go

Because, in the January window, you can get only discards, the unwanted, and the way over-priced. It would be sheer stupidity to blow money in such a way.

We don't lack strikers. We lack squad depth, which means that injuries affect us more than most. It's pie in the sky to think that Everton could bring on board a striker costing £20m+. I'd be very surprised if it happens. Just look who we do have today: Barkley, for example, is touted as a £50m player, but we didn't pay that much for him. This is reality.

Frankly, I wouldn't want a £20m+ striker. Their egos alone often ruin a team. Of far more value is a well-oiled machine of a team that plays as a unit and where the team value is greater than the sum of its parts.

"How do I get rich, Mr. Rockefeller?" The answer he gave is very relevant: "Slowly." It takes vision and persistence and an ability to overcome temporary setbacks.

Because, in the January window, you can get only discards, the unwanted, and the way over-priced. It would be sheer stupidity to blow money in such a way.

We don't lack strikers. We lack squad depth, which means that injuries affect us more than most. It's pie in the sky to think that Everton could bring on board a striker costing £20m+. I'd be very surprised if it happens. Just look who we do have today: Barkley, for example, is touted as a £50m player, but we didn't pay that much for him. This is reality.

Frankly, I wouldn't want a £20m+ striker. Their egos alone often ruin a team. Of far more value is a well-oiled machine of a team that plays as a unit and where the team value is greater than the sum of its parts.

"How do I get rich, Mr. Rockefeller?" The answer he gave is very relevant: "Slowly." It takes vision and persistence and an ability to overcome temporary setbacks.

Barkley is a youth player that comes along every 10 years comparing his value and how much we spent on him is ridiculous. We paid nothing for him.

Saying you wouldn't want a £20m+ striker is ridiculous. When was the last time someone won the league without a £20m striker?

Barkley is a youth player that comes along every 10 years comparing his value and how much we spent on him is ridiculous. We paid nothing for him.

Saying you wouldn't want a £20m+ striker is ridiculous. When was the last time someone won the league without a £20m striker?

I've quoted an example several times. Using the league names as they are today, Nottm Forest finished third in the Championship; next year, they won the Premier League; and the next year they won the Champions League. They did all that without a recognized "star". They were just a superb team with a superb manager. Sadly, they did not have a long-term strategy, so they slid back down. It is possible for teams to win without deep pockets. In five years' time, we'll be discussing just that on these forums!

Barkley is a youth player that comes along every 10 years...

Only because the English system doesn't know how to develop its youth players. You can see a significant change in strategy this year, with Everton loaning out many of its brightest prospects. The key word is 'strategy'. It doesn't just happen, and QPR are a great example of what happens when you spend money when you have no real strategy.

I've quoted an example several times. Using the league names as they are today, Nottm Forest finished third in the Championship; next year, they won the Premier League; and the next year they won the Champions League. They did all that without a recognized "star". They were just a superb team with a superb manager. Sadly, they did not have a long-term strategy, so they slid back down. It is possible for teams to win without deep pockets. In five years' time, we'll be discussing just that on these forums!

I think those days are long gone , oh and by the way the " star " was Trevor Francis a then British record transfer fee

Completely different kettle of fish these days. Money matters. Look at City's climb and Chelsea's. Comparing something that happened 30 years ago to the modern game just doesn't add up.