IGNORED

Steven Naismith

Two arguments to consider.

Lukaku. Not a good technical footballer but can finish.

Argument for him is that we don't need him to a player, we just need him to score goals and finish.

He has 8 goals is it?

Naismith. Scores goals, battles like hell and is actually involved all over the pitch. Doesn't play in his proffered role up front.

Is it 6 or 7 he has?

Yet it's the same people arguing that Lukaku should be left to just score goals...as that's his job that arguing that Naismith shouldn't be in the team as his control isn't good enough and his technical ability isn't good enough.

Why is it Ok for Lukaku but not for Naismith...even though Naismith offers much more to the team.

Because its like buying the super duper TV you've been pestering the wife to get, you unpackage it, realize its not very good but you can't admit it after saying how good it is and having blown the money set a side for the kitchen. Instead you blame the satellite signal.

Naismith is at best a bottom half PL midfielder/nr10 - and that is exactly where Everton finds itself - and where Everton will stay as long as we build our midfield around him -( and his stable companion Osman)

Naismith has a PL football brain and plays his heart out but has championship ability and skill and will flourish in that league should we get relegated

Naismith is at best a bottom half PL midfielder/nr10 - and that is exactly where Everton finds itself - and where Everton will stay as long as we build our midfield around him -( and his stable companion Osman)

Naismith has a PL football brain and plays his heart out but has championship ability and skill and will flourish in that league should we get relegated

I actually agree with this. I love his determination and grit, but he doesn't really offer much more than that to me.

Because its like buying the super duper TV you've been pestering the wife to get, you unpackage it, realize its not very good but you can't admit it after saying how good it is and having blown the money set a side for the kitchen. Instead you blame the satellite signal.

Best analogy everrrrrr. The signal was the best bit.

See, the problem with Naismith is the same problem that I banged on about from the beginning and was slated for it. Granted, he was scoring very important goals so it was somewhat diluted by some of you.

One of three attacking midfielders has one of the most important jobs on the pitch. You want them to get forward as often as possible, track back, stretch teams, take on players, link up with strikers shoot on sight.

I can name one that Naismith posseses. (Track back)... this is where iI also agree he is an outstanding team player, but he is also detrimental to us taking that next step. He does not offer enough in the role he is currently asked to do. When he receives the ball with his back to goal he passes it back, turns and runs into nowhere. You want him to be getting it under control, turning and making the opposition drop off.

The best saying that can be linked to this lad is......"god loves a trier"

I have to admit the more I watch him lately the more acutely aware I am of him wasting the ball when we have a good attacking opportunity. He's wasteful and loses us momentum so often.

I like Naismith I really do. He does score important goals and against big teams, his commitment to the team is second to none and he doesa lot of good work in thecommunity but it's time forhim to step downand let Barkley play that role.

It'sbeen a thorne in our side all season. Barkley, Naismith and for a time Eto'o all no10s but3 into 1 doesn't go so he just plays them out of position rather than drop and rotate them.

Major part of our woes this season imo.

Ross Barkley has a pass completion rate of 89.7% compared to Naismiths 75.7% that's 23rd out of 27 players used this season Yet Naismith starts every game.

Yep but if only they could give you more insight as to what direction those passes go towards. I'll be guessing around 98.9% sideways.

Barkley aside, Naismith's passes are the result of frantic decision-making. He doesn't have any composure.

As much as I like Naismith I'm always hoping the ball doesn't go to him when we're building an attack. He's exactly the player you want to see at the end of an attack, but during it is a no go.

He's another player thats been over played. Like Romey says, he's a finisher but is being asked to battle all over the opposition half. Out of all our players, he must've put in the most effort this season and it's been clear to see in the last 6 weeks that he is tired.

Guest rusty747

Naismith is the guy you want for a backs to the wall performance. He may not be the most technically gifted player but he never, ever hides and always gives everything for the cause. My player of the season.

What a cool finish last night too. You get him into those positions and he'll get you a goal more often than not. That's why I want him at the end of attacks and not in the build up.

Like everyone's been saying all season. Same with Rom, give him options ahead of him and he can be a handful. Rom and Steven playing off each other, with a creative player behind. Hopefully that gets addressed in the summer.

Naismith is no worse a player in the build up than anyone else right now.

Put Naismith into the Kone and McGeady bracket. For some fans it doesn't matter what they do - they will always hold the opinion that they had a bad game, even when they didn't.

I retain the opinion that one on one, Naismith is the best i've seen for a long while at our club, after the villa game he said:-

“I saw the keeper plant his feet and I knocked the ball past him, and he can’t move.”

He did it again last night - its a tremendous skill that requires a cool nerve. It is to a degree the same as what the likes of balotelli, Aguero and Hazard do with their penalties. Some people see things in a slower motion than others and he could be like that.

And then there are people who rate a player and won't criticise them, no matter what they do. So it should even itself out.

Naismith may be no worse than anyone else when it comes to build up play (debatable like), but that doesn't chante the fact that he does, more often than not, become a reason why our attacks often break down.

Edited by Romey 1878

And then there are people who rate a player and won't criticise them, no matter what they do. So it should even itself out.

Naismith may be no worse than anyone else when it comes to build up play (debatable like), but that doesn't chante the fact that he does, more often than not, become a reason why our attacks often break down.

If a player has a bad game they have a bad game - Messi and Ronaldo have them so what is the point in saying otherwise?

I can handle a player having a bad game and having the courage to want the ball and try to be positive - Naismith did that last night and scored.

I can't handle players having a bad game who lower their work rate, hide and pass the bucj "bacuase it isn't their day"

To be fair to Rom, last night he showed tremndous courage and I'd not seen that before, he too had a poor first half but he kept going and a couple of runs late on that changed that. Till then he was making cowardly pass backs. Rom is never gonna be able to pass it well, but if he fronts up his man and uses power then do it.

Naismith could play as an out and out striker the way Rom wants to be used and in all honesty I would back him to score a few goals. Played deep or outwide is not right, but he will give it a good go.

If a player has a bad game they have a bad game - Messi and Ronaldo have them so what is the point in saying otherwise?

I can handle a player having a bad game and having the courage to want the ball and try to be positive - Naismith did that last night and scored.

Because some people simply can't handle being wrong about a player, or are genuinely blind when it comes to a player they've decided is good.

And I'm in full agreement with you on the second bit. Even in the first half when it was dire Naismith was one of very few of our players I difntbwant to strangle. He wasn't having a good game at all but he was pretty much the only one who rolled their sleeves up and had a go, actually looked arsed.