IGNORED

Antonee Robinson

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

well alright!  sounds like we could have the successor to baines there.  doing well in the championship, maybe next year to a lower league premier side to get more time and then maybe he will be ready for us.

I'd be happy if he makes himself a useful squad player.

On 3/19/2018 at 22:18, nutmegwolf203 said:

Most assists for Bolton this season and apparently his all around game has been great. Didn't realize the loan was going that well.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-defender-antonee-robinson-gets-14429203

My favorite part of that article: 

After an impressive display at Sunderland in October Parkinson (Bolton Coach) added: “He saw off two very good wide players in Callum McManaman and Duncan Watmore and when I walked into the dressing room I looked at him and it didn’t look like he’d broke sweat.

Duncan Watmore is quick. Remember him burning multiple players with pace when Sunderland was in the top flight.

Also, wonder how he got the nickname Jedi?

Just now, plaidharper said:

Also, wonder how he got the nickname Jedi?

Nevermind.  Just found this article: https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2018/03/22/14/30/20180322-feat-mnt-get-to-know-mnt-defender-antonee-robinson

Throughout Marlon Robinson’s (Antonee's dad) nearly 20-year coaching career, he made a habit to nickname his young players after the stars they reminded him of.

He started to coach Antonee at age five. When he began to put together the team that his son would play on, he told him that he could pick his own nickname. Antonee chose to forego association with any famous footballer.

“I picked ‘Jedi,’ Robinson said. “I just really liked Star Wars, and it’s stuck since.”

MJB, while I agree with you to an extent you also can't deny it's growth. If anything, I would say not making it to the World Cup will hurt growth going forward for a little bit due to lack of exposure, but MLS is going strong. Football is the biggest sport by far -- there's no denying that -- and soccer is ranked 4th in the popularity competition, but growth among other sports has decreased while soccer has increased. It's also important to note that there's not a big gap in popularity percentages among 2-4.

Keep in mind that Baseball used to be America's game, but in the next few years I expect it to drop below soccer. The article below has a good table showing general consensus popularity.

http://news.gallup.com/poll/224864/football-americans-favorite-sport-watch.aspx

A 10,000 seater is not a big stadium, but you can't overlook your Atlanta's, Seattle's, Portland's, etc.

Just my 2 cents. :)

On 3/23/2018 at 20:51, Louis said:

How is a nation with a population of 325m playing an international at home in a stadium with 10,000 capacity. That seems so absurd.

Because those shithouses aren't getting my support until WC qualifying starts again. 

Also, soccer is hardly a fringe sport here. https://www.socceramerica.com/publications/article/76336/gallup-poll-soccer-closes-in-on-big-three-as-most.html

1 hour ago, Quinn31 said:

Because those shithouses aren't getting my support until WC qualifying starts again. 

Also, soccer is hardly a fringe sport here. https://www.socceramerica.com/publications/article/76336/gallup-poll-soccer-closes-in-on-big-three-as-most.html

7% favorite sport and it's not fringe?  sometimes i think you're just one of those contrarian people who takes the opposite view of everything regardless of personal belief.  like you have a mission to prove everyone wrong.  enjoy that

On 24/03/2018 at 07:23, markjazzbassist said:

Louis no one cares about soccer here.  it's a fringe sport here.  NFL NBA MLB NHL and college sports rule.  Soccer is like 7th or 8th in popularity.  

With an average attendance of over 20,000 per game, MLS has the third highest average attendance of any sports league in the U.S. after the National Football League(NFL) and Major League Baseball(MLB),[11] and is the seventh highest attended professional soccer league worldwide.[12]

4 hours ago, c1982 said:

With an average attendance of over 20,000 per game, MLS has the third highest average attendance of any sports league in the U.S. after the National Football League(NFL) and Major League Baseball(MLB),[11] and is the seventh highest attended professional soccer league worldwide.[12]

That doesn’t count college sports where college football has 100k stadiums being filled weekly.  It also doesn’t factor TV viewership.  I’ve never attended a premier league game, so according to your stat I don’t count.

MLS cup final - 2m viewsership

MLb World Series Final - 18.9m

NFL super bowl -  112m

NBA final -  20.4m

NHL Stanley cup - 4.7m

golf masters cup - 7.6m

paints a very different picture. Sure they have passionate fans that show up (so do most sports) but on TV no one watches it.

Let's not get sidetracked and try to stay posi in a thread about Antonee!

USA didn't qualify because we were woeful.  MLS is woeful (sure it is getting better / growing but let's be honest about current state and not get into some silly debate that has so many angles).

Antonee (along with all the other YOUNG players) being called up today is an exciting thing.  Hopefully the USMNT will use the next four years to learn the mistakes of the past and build something worthy of a place in the next WC. Hoping Antonee starts over VIllafana! Also Tim Weah might get his first game? Honestly do not know much about him other than he is Geogre's kid.  Anyone watched him before? Today is the first time I have been slightly excited about the USMNT since that day last year when Pulisic was supposed to destroy Trinidad and Tobago (which did not end well + a rather large bar tab, *ugh* still shutter thinking about it)

Also, hopefully Antonee can be one for the future in our Everton side in a position that we are currently lacking in depth!

39 minutes ago, plaidharper said:

Let's not get sidetracked and try to stay posi in a thread about Antonee!

USA didn't qualify because we were woeful.  MLS is woeful (sure it is getting better / growing but let's be honest about current state and not get into some silly debate that has so many angles).

Antonee (along with all the other YOUNG players) being called up today is an exciting thing.  Hopefully the USMNT will use the next four years to learn the mistakes of the past and build something worthy of a place in the next WC. Hoping Antonee starts over VIllafana! Also Tim Weah might get his first game? Honestly do not know much about him other than he is Geogre's kid.  Anyone watched him before? Today is the first time I have been slightly excited about the USMNT since that day last year when Pulisic was supposed to destroy Trinidad and Tobago (which did not end well + a rather large bar tab, *ugh* still shutter thinking about it)

Also, hopefully Antonee can be one for the future in our Everton side in a position that we are currently lacking in depth!

Agree that I'd much rather see Antonee. I don't seeing Villafana playing for us a the next World Cup (if we make it).

On Weah: he looks very, very promising. I could see him having a similar breakout as Pulisic in the next couple of years. He's getting minutes for PSG and seems to be impressing their coaches.  

13 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

That doesn’t count college sports where college football has 100k stadiums being filled weekly.  It also doesn’t factor TV viewership.  I’ve never attended a premier league game, so according to your stat I don’t count.

MLS cup final - 2m viewsership

MLb World Series Final - 18.9m

NFL super bowl -  112m

NBA final -  20.4m

NHL Stanley cup - 4.7m

golf masters cup - 7.6m

paints a very different picture. Sure they have passionate fans that show up (so do most sports) but on TV no one watches it.

The 2014 World Cup final had 25m+ viewers in the U.S. 

Also, at 9%, is the American past time (baseball) fringe, in your eyes? What about basketball at 11%? 

What about the fact that soccer is more popular than baseball in the under 55 demographics and near equivalent to basketball?

Football dominates all other sports here, but soccer is near as important as any other sport.

I'm actually pretty annoyed he didn't play. This is a meaningless friendly besides seeing what the future has to offer. I don't see Villafana (who started over him) as an option going forward due to his age and ceiling. It makes so much more sense to give a lot of these youngsters decent cameos to see how they play in a competitive environment on the international stage.

Also, Weah came on with about 4 minutes to go? What's the point? He barely had time to do anything. Sarachan should've brought him on sooner, but I think he was more worried about get a win in a meaningless friendly than he was about seeing future options. 

We also only scheduled one game. It's just poor planning all-around. I'm really disenchanted with the USA set-up right now.