IGNORED

Seamus Coleman

Guest efctaxi

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/tm_headline=...-name_page.html

"Everton to sign Seamus Coleman

Everton boss David Moyes is making Republic of Ireland under-21 right back Seamus Coleman his first signing of the window in a surprise cut-price deal.

Moyes has beaten Celtic, Birmingham City and Ipswich Town in the chase for the Sligo Rovers defender and will sort out a fee for him this week after the player agreed to join. Coleman, 20, is tipped to force his way into his plans by the end of the season.

Moyes has been watching Coleman for months and was helped by the fact that Sligo boss Willie McStay is an old Celtic team-mate of his - with the Scot coming over to sort out the move last week.

"

Perhaps he is the best kept secret in football :huh:

Why do I get the feeling one of our defenders is moving on :lol:

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/tm_headline=...-name_page.html

"Everton to sign Seamus Coleman

Everton boss David Moyes is making Republic of Ireland under-21 right back Seamus Coleman his first signing of the window in a surprise cut-price deal.

Moyes has beaten Celtic, Birmingham City and Ipswich Town in the chase for the Sligo Rovers defender and will sort out a fee for him this week after the player agreed to join. Coleman, 20, is tipped to force his way into his plans by the end of the season.

Moyes has been watching Coleman for months and was helped by the fact that Sligo boss Willie McStay is an old Celtic team-mate of his - with the Scot coming over to sort out the move last week.

"

Perhaps he is the best kept secret in football :huh:

Why do I get the feeling one of our defenders is moving on :lol:

I had the same thought about a defender moving on. At the moment our only chance of getting top players is selling first or buying young and turning them into top players

Moyes clambers to score a Cole'

''David Moyes wants to sign Seamus Coleman and disappoint Celtic, Birmingham city, Burnley and St Johnstone.

But Sligo Rovers are unwilling to see their star defender become a toffee unless Everton substantially increase their offer for him.

It is believed that Everton are willing to pay The Bit O’Red approximately €200,000 for the League of Ireland's most highly rated young full back.

However Sligo would receive less than €100,000in the initial transfer fee for the 20 year old.

And that is not acceptable to the Sligo management board that it should be able to earn €125,000 in the first payment.

The club wont stand in the Killybegs mans way of moving to an English or Scottish club but feel that they are not being offered serious money for their most saleable asset.

Everton's strong interest may re-stoke interest from Birmingham where Coleman spent a week on trial last month.

The Ireland under 21 international still has one year left on his contract and as he is under the age of 23, Sligo are in a strong negotiating position under UEFA transfer regulations''

With our squad as small as it is, we should be primarily looking for strikers and midfielder, as our defense, with Yobo, Jags, Baines, Lescott, Hibbert and Jacobsen, means we have potentially 2 for every position.

However:

Sligo Rovers full-back Seamus Coleman is hopeful he will soon be able to seal a move to British football.

The 20-year-old right-sided ace has spent time at Birmingham and Burnley in recent months, but it is believed Everton and Celtic are leading the chase for him.

West Ham and Ipswich are also linked as a move appears to getting closer.

"There's nothing really concrete at the minute," Coleman told the Donegal Democrat.

"I know there's a few clubs talking to Sligo but nothing has come as far as me yet.

"Hopefully things will work out, as I've always said I'd like to play professionally, but if it happens, as I said before, then it happens."

Link: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11671_4834623,00.html

I really don't understand why we are linked with him, we have Neville, Jacobsen and Hibbet to play at right back, why the hell are we being linked with yet another one?

To me, the main areas we need to improve are centre-midfield, left-midfield and up front. Pienaar is linking well with Baines but he is not naturally left footed, which is why Manny Fernandes was so useful, and we could use a left-footed player to run up the wing. Strikers are imperative, and we could also do with cover in the middle of the park.

But for some ridiculous reason, we are being linked with yet anotehr right-back, even though we have 3 already. One for the future, fair enough, but not one for january at all.

In December 2008 it was reported that Coleman was having a trial with Birmingham City F.C. and that the club had offered a six-figure sum for the player

To beat teams to a player is good news, even if it was only Birmigham. Moyes has a knack for getting good players from the lower leagues and I hope that this lad is the same. I don't know anything about him but I have full faith that he will be one for the future. With the way the defence is going I think that he would be only making the bench this year, but in seasons to come he could be the next Phil Jagielka.

Very interesting video Louis. We have now the best young Left back, this young lad can be the best right back. It would be fantastic to have more talent in our blue shirt. Who can believe we wouldnt need more talented youngsers in here? He could be in the playing squad next season if hes going to progress under Moyesy. That would sound so good :)

Guest efctaxi
Coleman completes Everton move

2009-02-01 21:25:14

By Christopher Davey

During a local radio interview today, Sligo Rovers chairman confirmed that Under 21 international Seamus Coleman has completed a medical at Everton and that he expects the signing to done and dusted tomorrow. No figure was given for the transfer, but it may emerge when the transfer is announced.

If the transfer is completed, it will be Everton's first signing of the transfer window, despite David Moyes looking to complete one or two loan signings.

Coleman has widely impressed since his first appearance for the Bit O'Red against Waterford in late 2005, and many felt that it was only a matter of time before he moved to an English club. He has been remarked by Don Givens as being full international material in years to come and it is without doubt that all LOI fans would like to see a talent such as Coleman succeed on the bigger stage.

Make of it what you will :huh:

Why make the lad pass the medical then not bother .

In footballing terms , the fee is pocket money . Maybe some news might follow tomorrow ...... after the disclosure of Kaka's twin brother .

An outstanding prospect. He's a classy right back, who is comfortable on the ball and loves to get forward. He had a fantastic 2007 season culminating in a cap for the Irish U-21's and will be looking to continue his improvement in 2008.

^Thats what the Sligo website are saying, he's still down as one of thier players so maybe he hasnt signed after all.

Sligo Website

Ian Ross, we talk every now and then so sent him an email.

Say what you like about Ross (and I know no-one's said anything negative here) but he always responds. Wanted some info last year before we came up for the Sunderland game, but the question only occurred to me on Christmas Day. Emailed him anyway, thinking I may get an answer before we left home on the 27th. He replied within fifteen minutes....in detail. That's dedication. Don't think there's many clubs where you'd regularly get such a response from someone so high up in the organisation.

Say what you like about Ross (and I know no-one's said anything negative here) but he always responds. Wanted some info last year before we came up for the Sunderland game, but the question only occurred to me on Christmas Day. Emailed him anyway, thinking I may get an answer before we left home on the 27th. He replied within fifteen minutes....in detail. That's dedication. Don't think there's many clubs where you'd regularly get such a response from someone so high up in the organisation.

Yep, he always responds - even when I badgered him about Nugent :lol:

• 1 year later...