• Low
    • Pelligrini
    • Hughes
    • O'Neill
    • Emery
    • Moyes
    • Somebody else
    • Simeone

We've played better without Bolasie! Blessing in disguise?

Harsh as Bolasie hasn't had the chance to fully settle into the team.

If the injury hasn't robbed him of his pace and movement he could be a real asset. He seems to link up well with Lukaku, can go past a player and likes to get crosses into the box. He also has a great engine and can play the high energy pressing game Koeman likes.

Here's my point, Pad. To create sustainable fire, you need three things: oxygen, combustible material, and a spark. You can have the most combustible material under the sun but it's of no use without that spark - and the fire won't continue without the oxygen. We have many talented players, but they achieved little in the first half of the season. Despite their abilities, they could barely string together two passes and their motivation seemed in question. On the sidelines were young players just waiting for the opportunity to prove themselves and replace established players. Sitting on the bench, they must have been hyperactive and on tenterhooks waiting for their names to be called - but little happened. What's happened this year? They've been given that chance! The field now has its sparks, and we have a fire! Even ice-cool Koeman is now on fire.

I'm not suggesting our young players are all MoTMs. I'm not suggesting they are the most talented or even making the most difference technically on the pitch. But, crucially, they've brought the spark to light the fire. Success is the oxygen that will keep it burning, so let's see some consistent strategy and tactics from the manager to turn that fire into an inferno.

Actually, the triangle of fire denotes oxygen, fuel (combustible material as you mention) and heat. Not necessarily a spark. Now, just for you and no one else....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=129kuDCQtHs

Have a rewatch of the match, is it justme or did Barry have Davies on a string. By that I mean, was Davies Barry's faithful attack dog, he moved him around and hoovered up the afters, sent in the closing down cut off the angles and effectively turned possession over, I'm not 100% convinced on this yet, but specific to those two, is that how we bossed the midfield to efficiently, I have alluded to it elsewhere re: worker bees (maximum legs in midfield to carry a luxury or two) and then having fresh on the bench to run the oppo into the ground late on.

Schneiderlin is in and has played. Davies is so far a revelation. Gueye has arguably been man of the season. We looked 'the balls' with McCarthy's energy in that single home league loss (first half when he was on). Without it ALL to do Barkley has started to come back to the player we know. Barry isn't close to mobile enough - is he the luxury? Because of the distribution and organisation he plants square in front of the defence.

We are going to be some side, if I could transplant the Baines-Pienaar axis from say 5 seasons ago into this side, we'd be hell for leather, goin like the clappers, that touch of genius that pulls a good side into greatness. Gotta keep Lukaku.

Schneiderlin in for 22 million big uns. It's done that.

We'll roll palace over, you watch.

Davies:

The Everton midfielder insists Koeman – who has also handed a full debut to Calvert-Lewin since expressing those doubts – has been instrumental in his development this season. “He speaks with me a lot, as does Erwin [Koeman, the assistant manager],” Davies said. “Together they have helped me a lot and I think my game is improving because of them. Hopefully that continues and I can keep improving as a player. The first pass [that led to Romelu Lukaku’s opener] is something I have been working on with my positioning, trying to be in the right position to make the passes. I can always improve and I will do that.

Harsh as Bolasie hasn't had the chance to fully settle into the team.

If the injury hasn't robbed him of his pace and movement he could be a real asset. He seems to link up well with Lukaku, can go past a player and likes to get crosses into the box. He also has a great engine and can play the high energy pressing game Koeman likes.

Not harsh we've got better results and played much better without him! Just facts!

he wasn't the critical factor in that though. If anything he was one of the bright sparks in a very dull lacklustre side.

I thought we gave him too much of the ball to be honest. Funny how we've got a lot better since he went out the side. He looked brilliant at West Brom early on in the season then went shite!

I thought he held on to the ball too much and couldn't move forward without rolling it under his feet. I appreciate his work-rate, but sometimes I think he tries too much. He and Lukaku seemed to have a good partnership; however, his absence hasn't hurt Lukaku's goal-scoring one bit.

Not harsh we've got better results and played much better without him! Just facts!

Post hoc ergo proptor hoc.

Are you seriously saying that the reason for our poor form against Bournemouth, Palace, Burnley, Chelsea, Swansea, Southampton was down to Yannick Bolasie playing for us?

Have you seen the dross that:

Lennon (tries hard, runs allot but no end product),

Mirallas (one great game in 10 the rest have us wishing he had left 2 years ago)

or Jerry (One good game then dons the cloak of invisibility for 3 matches before getting injured)

Have served up for us?

At least Bolasie can cross and beat his man.

Post hoc ergo proptor hoc.

Are you seriously saying that the reason for our poor form against Bournemouth, Palace, Burnley, Chelsea, Swansea, Southampton was down to Yannick Bolasie playing for us?

Have you seen the dross that:

Lennon (tries hard, runs allot but no end product),

Mirallas (one great game in 10 the rest have us wishing he had left 2 years ago)

or Jerry (One good game then dons the cloak of invisibility for 3 matches before getting injured)

Have served up for us?

At least Bolasie can cross and beat his man.

A contributing factor for sure!

In what ways did he contribute to us playing poorly?

falling over his feet with the ball, aimless running, misplaced passes and crosses and because he was the "big signing" I assume Koeman weighed a lot of his attacking tactics down Bolasies wing which upset the balance

He proved to me that he's a MOTD a player and little else. Some moments of brilliance for sure, but far too infrequent and so many mistakes

falling over his feet with the ball, aimless running, misplaced passes and crosses and because he was the "big signing" I assume Koeman weighed a lot of his attacking tactics down Bolasies wing which upset the balance

He proved to me that he's a MOTD a player and little else. Some moments of brilliance for sure, but far too infrequent and so many mistakes

I really don't get this... he gave the ball away no more than other wingers but actually did more to recover it back and contributed assists and a goal - well should be 2 goals.

How has his absence been a good thing for the team because for me up till mirallas having a good game last week we have been shite on the wings.

I really don't get this... he gave the ball away no more than other wingers but actually did more to recover it back and contributed assists and a goal - well should be 2 goals.

How has his absence been a good thing for the team because for me up till mirallas having a good game last week we have been shite on the wings.

I'm with Haf on the Bolasie debate.

Before his injury, he was one of our best players. He was creating chances, assisting, his energy was flawless and he would happily track back and bring the ball out, quickly turning defence into attack.

Yes, he can frustrate. He looks clumsy. But no doubt about it, he was one of our better performers before the injury.

thank you I though I was the only one who could see his worth.

Matt he's been injured for over a month now and he's still our leader in assists, enough said. not to mention he worked his ass off pressing and defending when he didn't have the ball and can cross just as good as Gerry does.

He gave the ball away in silly positions which is why it's more memorable. It's not the ones under pressure or losing possession by playing a tricky ball, a lot of the time, especially after his first 2 or 3 games it was miscontrolled passes, running into touch, trying flicks to no-one. Half the problem is that we focused too much on him and that probably had an effect but in my opinion he was getting worse with every game after a very bright start.

Gerry and Mirallas have still been our best wingers in terms of productivity and reliability.

thank you I though I was the only one who could see his worth.

Matt he's been injured for over a month now and he's still our leader in assists, enough said. not to mention he worked his ass off pressing and defending when he didn't have the ball and can cross just as good as Gerry does.

Re the tracking, again he started well in the first couple of games but after that it was no better than any other winger.

The fact that we have improved since he left and we haven't missed him suggests that he was bringing that much to the side, certainly not £20 mil worth.

That speaks more about the issues of the squad more than him though.

yes that even in a shit side he scored and assisted and was working his ass off. you just don't like the guy, are pissed we "overpaid" just admit it matt. you said as much when we bought him.

ross didn't show up then supposed to be the next big English hope, mirallas was missing, even rom went through a dry patch. meanwhile Yala never stopped busting his ass, he's not perfect no, so he misplaced a couple passes, if he didn't he'd be at Barca not Everton.

seriously have no clue how people could slate this guy. makes no sense when you look at Kev "no show" mirallas, Gerry, lennon, kone, Valencia, pre man city barkley. Bolasie was easily the best of the bunch besides lukaku in terms of attackers.

Re the tracking, again he started well in the first couple of games but after that it was no better than any other winger.

The fact that we have improved since he left and we haven't missed him suggests that he was bringing that much to the side, certainly not £20 mil worth.

the money has nothing to do with it, it's the market now bailey give it a rest. if he had cost 2m pounds everyone would think he's the bee's knees, but since he was 20m people think he should be Messi. Fickle.

yes that even in a shit side he scored and assisted and was working his ass off. you just don't like the guy, are pissed we "overpaid" just admit it matt. you said as much when we bought him.

ross didn't show up then supposed to be the next big English hope, mirallas was missing, even rom went through a dry patch. meanwhile Yala never stopped busting his ass, he's not perfect no, so he misplaced a couple passes, if he didn't he'd be at Barca not Everton.

seriously have no clue how people could slate this guy. makes no sense when you look at Kev "no show" mirallas, Gerry, lennon, kone, Valencia, pre man city barkley. Bolasie was easily the best of the bunch besides lukaku in terms of attackers.

i don't dislike the guy, I just don't think he's very good and we overpaid in order to make a statement

I also said I looked forward to being proven wrong and for 2-3 games I was willing to hold my hands up. But then the good 2-3 moments a game became negated by the waste he created.

You have a man crush on him so won't see the bad because you don't want to, admit that :P

Edited by Matt

And of course you can name several players who have never misplaced passes, crosses, or fallen over :rolleyes:

While you rattle off the several thousand players this applies too here are Yannick's stats for this season:

14 Games, 1 goal, 4 assists, 27 shots - to me those are good stats for a players settling into a new team that has been adapting to a new manager. Not perfect but not bad. Much better than Lennon, 1 Goal, 1 Assist, or Kevin 20 Games, 3 goals, and 2 assists.

Edited by London Blue

i don't dislike the guy, I just don't think he's very good and we overpaid in order to make a statement

I also said I looked forward to being proven wrong and for 2-3 games I was willing to hold my hands up. But then the good 2-3 moments a game became negated by the waste he created.

You have a man crush on him so won't see the bad because you don't want to, admit that :P

no man crush I can just tell a decent player when I see one. see Blue's response below he covers it perfectly

And of course you can name several players who have never misplaced passes, crosses, or fallen over :rolleyes:

While you rattle off the several thousand players this applies too here are Yannick's stats for this season:

14 Games, 1 goal, 4 assists, 27 shots - to me those are good stats for a players settling into a new team that has been adapting to a new manager. Not perfect but not bad. Much better than Lennon, 1 Goal, 1 Assist, or Kevin 20 Games, 3 goals, and 2 assists.

I can tell an average player when I see one too, I've been watching them for long enough. To be fair to him, he does have moments of brilliance but for about 5 mins a game. He does work harder than the others (maybe not Lennon).

The price bugged me initially but i wasn't that bothered because I thought £10m was going to be too much. The fact we paid so much was then just a matter of "showing intent" and that did piss me off, but not a reflection on the player himself.

I've only disliked 1 player in the last 20 years I've paid attention and that was Anichebe for the simple reason of his attitude.

LB - yes, there are thousands of players like that and consistent wingers are few and far between. Just because the standard around him is of a similar level, doesn't make him better than what I've said he is - not bad, but average - and frankly I wanted better than average.

So basically your pissed off because we payed so much for him.

That's not his fault.

I just hope he comes back from his injury the same player, if he does I look forward to seeing him rip it up for us next season. In the squad Koeman is building he and the other wingers will have the chance to do just that.

i actually said the price is not on him, explained that very precisely to avoid comments like that.

he price bugged me initially but i wasn't that bothered because I thought £10m was going to be too much. The fact we paid so much was then just a matter of "showing intent" and that did piss me off, but not a reflection on the player himself.

I'm hoping he comes back more determined than ever but maybe a bit slower, so his brain can keep up with his feet because that connection is the only thing stopping him from

Being a very good winger