IGNORED

Ashley Williams

Personally, I think Williams can be that defender we've desperately needed.

Jags, although a fantastic player on his day, is no leader. Williams is true captain material (not talking about for Everton). He can single handedly aid his team (Wales have relied on him heavily for their defensive stability).

He'd be fantastic with Mori. And could have been really good for Johnboy (by john :()

Definitely not against this. His experience is vast (in the league) and something you wouldn't get from a foreign import. Will he be a 'spectacular' or flashy player? No. But he'll work hard, get the lads rallied and show a forward of two who's boss.

From an Arsenal fan.

Why didn’t Arsenal go after Williams?
Everton signing Ashley Williams for €10 million. And that in a nutshell is why Ronald Koeman is one of the best managers in the world.

Williams is a proven quality Premier League defender who was instrumental in helping Wales reach the European Championship semi final. The Everton defence has resembled The Keystone Cops without the music over the last 2 seasons. Williams coolness will wash away all the fuckwittery. Critics will snipe at the foolishness of spending €10 million on a 32 year old but fail to mention the ages of the last eight Premier League winning center halves.

Huth (31) Morgan (32) Terry (35) Cahill (30) Kompany (30) Lescott ( 33) Ferdinand ( 34) Vidic (31) Selling Stones for close to €50 million and replacing with Williams for €10 million is an impressive piece of business.

Koeman has previous in this department after selling Lovren for €20 million and replacing him with the superior Van Djiik for €13 million. Why wasn’t anyone else in for Williams? You can’t tell me he wouldn’t improve an Arsenal defence which now that Mertesacker is out for the rest of the year is one hamstring to the average Gabriel or the knackered Koscielney away from calling upon the never starting talents of Callum Chambers or the untested Rob Holden.

People say Arsenal are one or two players away from being a title winning team which always tickles me. I reckon they need 2 defensive signings and a new goalkeeper before they even begin to address their obvious deficiencies up top. They are ill equipped to mount a serious challenge with that squad.( Wilshire injured again I see.) Wenger needs to pull his finger out quick. How is he attempting to outwit Mourinho, Guardiola, Klopp, Pochettino, Conte, Koeman and Ranieri with that defence? Williams would have been an ideal signing.

I’d be pretty happy if I was an Everton fan this morning. Koeman you crafty fuck.

Edited by Lowensda

Guest rusty747

This is hopefully the start of a new defensive mentality at Everton.

We still need a new 'keeper though.

At the moment Steklenburg is in pole position to start I think but we need to splash the cash for Butland or Forster imho.

Can't see Gabbidon saying that if there's no serious weight to the rumour I think this will happen and I'd love him here

£10m in today's market is peanuts that's average Championship player prices and he's a fantastic leader and a very solid defender, as said the kind of commanding figure we desperately need at the back

Personally, I think Williams can be that defender we've desperately needed.

Jags, although a fantastic player on his day, is no leader. Williams is true captain material (not talking about for Everton). He can single handedly aid his team (Wales have relied on him heavily for their defensive stability).

He'd be fantastic with Mori. And could have been really good for Johnboy (by john :()

Definitely not against this. His experience is vast (in the league) and something you wouldn't get from a foreign import. Will he be a 'spectacular' or flashy player? No. But he'll work hard, get the lads rallied and show a forward of two who's boss.

From an Arsenal fan.

Jags has been a good player don't get me wrong, but has never been that commanding centre back that organises everything, he'll put his body on the line to block anything and great at last ditch tackle, but Williams is more the complete centre half and will help whomever he's playing with be it Mori or Stones if he stays.

To be honest Swansea and Wales wouldn't have been anywhere without him. Bale gets all the headlines for Wales but he is a rock in defence and let's face it's not the greatest defence in the world but without him it would leak far more goals than bale could score up the other end!! We had 4 goals scored against us in the qualifiers which is just a phenomenal stat considering the line up we have, and you can pretty much say that's down to Williams, his orginasition, determination and captinsy is second to none! He has a steel about him we haven't had for years!

"We have turned down the offer currently on the table" - carefully chosen words. They're willing to sell him but are looking for more cash. Williams should make it happen in my opinion, he's a defender with a chance to play under one of the greatest defenders in the history of the game. He will want this move, I'm sure of it, and after 8 years at Swansea - who, with respect, are going nowhere - he will want to take this chance.

"We have turned down the offer currently on the table" - carefully chosen words. They're willing to sell him but are looking for more cash. Williams should make it happen in my opinion, he's a defender with a chance to play under one of the greatest defenders in the history of the game. He will want this move, I'm sure of it, and after 8 years at Swansea - who, with respect, are going nowhere - he will want to take this chance.

Not to mention the dosh

Plenty of journos last night saying everything is done but Swansea now want more money. I'd have no problem paying £13m for him.

Don't see why structured deals are silly, apart from a handful of clubs that's how most deals are done. Gets around some spending guidelines and is good for the P&L accounts.

Agree with Patto on Galloway, albeit he's probably not as gifted coming out with the ball as Stones but given the chance I think he'll be the better defender of the two tbh he seems more comfortable and assured imo and I've never seen much between the two considering he's been played out of position

I'm with Steve on Williams £13m is still a steal in today's game for a player who doesn't look to be slowing down anytime soon

Agree with Patto on Galloway, albeit he's probably not as gifted coming out with the ball as Stones but given the chance I think he'll be the better defender of the two tbh he seems more comfortable and assured imo and I've never seen much between the two considering he's been played out of position

I'm with Steve on Williams £13m is still a steal in today's game for a player who doesn't look to be slowing down anytime soon

Bingo was his name-O.