IGNORED

Jordan Pickford

I think that boils down to your defence of Joel, do you genuinely think that Pickford Butland or Forster are not improvements over Joel and Stek!?

Do or have you regularly watched any of the players over the years you've suggested or championed that would clearly improve our side? That's crazy logic to me tbh mate

Over Stek for sure (for age if nothing else), over Joel I don't know because I've only seen them a handful of times on MOTD or when we've played them, and when I have seen them they've made clangers too. I think I can only say Forster would be better, but he can fuck up too....

I don't tend to suggest anyone unless I've seen a lot of games, which up until a few years ago (whilst I was travelling every week and before the baby came along) I was doing. I spent most evening watching any football I could get, because I was alone in a hotel for 5-10 days at a time. But since my daughter was born 2.5 years ago, I've not watched anyone but us (with a handful of exceptions), so I don't really pipe up with names any more simply because I don't have the knowledge to base an opinion of them

Over Stek for sure (for age if nothing else), over Joel I don't know because I've only seen them a handful of times on MOTD or when we've played them, and when I have seen them they've made clangers too. I think I can only say Forster would be better, but he can fuck up too....

I don't tend to suggest anyone unless I've seen a lot of games, which up until a few years ago (whilst I was travelling every week and before the baby came along) I was doing. I spent most evening watching any football I could get, because I was alone in a hotel for 5-10 days at a time. But since my daughter was born 2.5 years ago, I've not watched anyone but us (with a handful of exceptions), so I don't really pipe up with names any more simply because I don't have the knowledge to base an opinion of them

Fair point mate and I get your drift and I fully understand the work and kid/s situation it's hard to find much time

I don't dislike Joel I've said it before he's 75% of what we need in my opinion and I'm not making out I've seen every Southampton Burnley or Stoke game I've personally seen enough to think any of those three would be a decent upgrade and throw Casper.S into that mix also

Fair point mate and I get your drift and I fully understand the work and kid/s situation it's hard to find much time

I don't dislike Joel I've said it before he's 75% of what we need in my opinion and I'm not making out I've seen every Southampton Burnley or Stoke game I've personally seen enough to think any of those three would be a decent upgrade and throw Casper.S into that mix also

I think I said the other day that maybe the best compromise is to tie him down to a new contract and maybe loan him out to get him game time. I understand the desire to have a great keeper, but for the money needed to sign the 3 mentioned, I don't see it being worthwhile because, even if they are an upgrade, they won't be a massive upgrade

edit: 1 keeper I really did like the look of was Heaton in Burnleys first season, but not sure how he's evolved since

Edited by Matt

Hart - Forster - Butland - Pickford. That's the order I would put them in, best to worst (not that any are bad).

Pickford looks like he could become the "next Hart" and is looking good for the future.

Butland only returned from injury last week, before that injury he looked like he was going to be the Englands number 1 over Hart. Forster was tipped to be the next big thing, I always remember Celtic vs Barca and he had a world class game (more than once against them actually) and Xavi coming out saying he should be a Barca target.

I have to say, I just don't get the hype around Hart. I've seen him play on multiple occasions, and he makes blunder after blunder. He's making them now at Torino. I admire his passion, but he seems a bit flat-footed to me.

welcome to the dark side tonks :) fact is all the english keepers will be overpriced. but foreign keepers the worry is knowing the language and effective communication with the defense, might take a season to forge that. damned if we do, damned if we don't.

welcome to the dark side tonks :) fact is all the english keepers will be overpriced. but foreign keepers the worry is knowing the language and effective communication with the defense, might take a season to forge that. damned if we do, damned if we don't.

all English players in general are overpriced

I have to say, I just don't get the hype around Hart. I've seen him play on multiple occasions, and he makes blunder after blunder. He's making them now at Torino. I admire his passion, but he seems a bit flat-footed to me.

I agree, I think he's pretty awful and the only real upside is the aforementioned passion and 'profile' he brings.

I agree, I think he's pretty awful and the only real upside is the aforementioned passion and 'profile' he brings.

our numbers are growing............mwahahaahaha.

again i'd take a foreign lad like ruffier, leno, etc but i'm not sure they'd be able to communicate well. so Butland, Forster, Pickford, and then Hart would be my list.

I fail to see how that has any relevance Pete, they replaced him with a foreigner whilst being fairly low on home grown players so logic would say you drop him to the bench if that played any part

Pep simply doesn't rate him imo

They bought John stones. Every manager had planned on replacing him, only city have a high turnover of managers is the only reason he escaped the chop.

He's a very solid young keeper who will only get better, he has a good ten years plus in him all being well

Decent fee, you'll pay a premium for any proven keeper from abroad and at least he knows the league etc look at Karius at the shite touted as the next big thing and has looked absolutely shite from what I've seen

I'm a bit worried about this one- he's young and is unproven. He's had a good season but Sunderland have been twatted most games which means he's bound to get more shots at him which equates to more saves and so on.

Flip side is he's had more practice haha!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/jordan-pickford-sunderland-everton-transfer-10381916

But also that. I'd rather have Butland for sure but Forster doesn't seem to be much better quality if any than Pickford and he's 6 years his senior. Obviously both still have a bunch of years ahead of them, but I think Forster will keep playing at his level for another 5-6 seasons where Pickford and Butland both stand to improve quite a bit over the next few years as long as they continue to start. I don't think Pickford will go to Liverpool as I don't think he represents a significant improvement over Mignolet enough to warrant taking his starting job, and I doubt either of the Manchester clubs are looking to sign a 23-year old as their number one.