IGNORED

Those Where The Days

rowlo-efc

http://www.toffeeweb.com/season/06-07/comm...oint/060814.asp

We are lucky if we get a full house these days (unless we are playing the RS).

I bet they were great days - loads of atmosphere. I bet it was cheap too...

so cheap I reckon a few RS fans probably went to both games - RS and EFC - whoever was home that Saturday!

Dont happen no more.

Taylor report ended massive attendances...but for good safety reasons!

I was at most of them from the mid fifties onwards, and if i remember correctly the Cup replay with Charlton in 58/59 season was a weds night , and at the time was a record attendance for a midweek floodlit game, i would think that is still standing, cos i cant think of another club that had a ground that big.

Is there any way of finding out if that record still stands. ????

Yeah they were the days. 2/- (two shillings) to get in. For the younger members that equates to ten pence today.

My first season ticket in the early sixties only cost about £7 and for that we received a free programme every game.

Every player in the first division was on the same wage (£80 a week) no matter who they played for.

My first 2 visits to Wembley in 66 and again in 68, only cost me 10s (50 pence) for a cup final ticket.

They were indeed, the good old days.

Edited by Licker

would have loved to of went to a derby with that attendance id say the atmosphere was electric

45250[/snapback]

I don't go quite as far back as Wilber, but I remember going in the80's. They had alsorts of schemes like - junior membership, EFC clubcard etc... But I remember being in uproar coz they put the season tickets up to something like £98 and this baldy guy called Ian Wilson came running out the tunnell

he was a scotish international. Even thogh I was a youth, I thought - hang on Mr Harvey, I want my money back... those where the days lol...

When I used to go in the 80's and we won the league, you call pay in on the day and stand on the Gwladys, there was never a sell out then and we were the best team in the land by far

45131[/snapback]

Yer,

its a mad one isn it mate, back then the average was around 32 thousand (in the mid to late 80's) although the ground held well more...

The attendenses went even worse after that - I recall standing in the glady against QPR and the Att was about 12.000. cost 3 quid!!!

unenployment I guess (hopefully never to return)

I've been to a few games at Goodison where the attendance has been over 50,000, long ago, but not forgoten.  :D

Very happy days.

ATB

Mac

45263[/snapback]

I've stood in the Gwladys st (when seats where reserved for the rich and those who thought they where rich (or disabled!))....in 85 when we used to win stuff.

I was only a wee lad but fuck the atmosphere was electric - not sure if I was ever involved in a crowd over 50,000 but would like to know...

Goodison is a fortress - football rules the world!!!

I know we dont get massive crowds these days but not many do, i have it on good authority from a few chelsea lads i know that tickets for their opening match of the season are on general sale and they are champions FFS. Plus Manure are junk mailing every address they have on reccord to try and sell the remainder of their season ticket allocation!

With our lack of silverware or even a decent team over the last 10 - 15 years its always our fans who give me the "proud to be an Evertonian" feeling. I find it difficult to explain but its moments like Man U at home on Rooneys return and the atmosphere against Chelsea at Goodison the past few seasons which mean the world to me. It shows that although we can be quiet and not get going at all at times we always stand shoulder to sholder with the lads when our backs are against the wall and it makes a difference.

One of my proudest moments as an Evertonian was Bristol City in the 3rd round of the FA Cup in 2000 (i think) Back-of-the-echo scored that free kick and all 6000 plus Evertonians went nuts. 6000 away in the 3rd round of the cup in early January when everybody's skint that proved what the club means to the fans.

The point I make is although the days of massive crowds and sell out's are long gone Evertonians are amongst te best fans in the land and when times get hard we support harder. B)

My dad and grandad are in the middle of writing a book which sort of covers this theme of how Everton have changed over the years. It started when we found my great grandads diary of when he used to go watch Everton so thats been rewritten, then my grandads added his era, then my dad and hopefully I'll be allowed to write the concluding chapters. But I think my overall feeling will be one of loss, the loss of the great Goodison atmosphere which made the place a fortress in the 80's now we only get a taste of that atmosphere a couple of matches a season. Its amazing how much putting in seats can change a stadiums feel and the ambience of the place. And looking to the future I cant see it getting better especially if we move to a big stadium in the middle of nowhere

The way around this loss of atmosphere is to designate a section of the new stadium as a singing seation and leave it as unreserved seating. We often come up from half time full of beans but cant keep the singing going because non of the main singers can get seats close to eachother!!!

The days of teracing are gone but the first few seasons with seats in the Gwladys wernt that bad because it was unreserved and all the people who wanted to sing and stand on their seats sat together in the middle at the back. Now there is a singer every three or four people and once the "normal" supporters sit down the singers have no choice but to stop obstructing their view.

Theres alot to be said for crowd control and safety but its those loud mouth fans who jump around all game which generates an atmosphere during dull games.

Take note Everton and let us all sit together and bring back the atmosphere!

The way around this loss of atmosphere is to designate a section of the new stadium as a singing seation and leave it as unreserved seating. We often come up from half time full of beans but cant keep the singing going because non of the main singers can get seats close to eachother!!!

The days of teracing are gone but the first few seasons with seats in the Gwladys wernt that bad because it was unreserved and all the people who wanted to sing and stand on their seats sat together in the middle at the back. Now there is a singer every three or four people and once the "normal" supporters sit down the singers have no choice but to stop obstructing their view.

Theres alot to be said for crowd control and safety but its those loud mouth fans who jump around all game which generates an atmosphere during dull games.

Take note Everton and let us all sit together and bring back the atmosphere!

45560[/snapback]

I know what you mean there Goldy, Ive been a few times where ive been standing on my own singing and feeling like a right twat. The top balcony was probably the worst for me when I used to sit up there alot, it was totally dead.