IGNORED

Virgil van Dijk

21 year old Dutch centre back, plays for FC Groningen, has claimed we're following him. He's tall and strong, also known for his rushes on the ball and his ability to hit an accurate long diagonal pass. Groningen's director has said that he expects van Dijk to be playing for Groningen after 31 january as no team has officially approached Groningen so far. Ajax and PSV are also rumoured to be monitoring him. I think he's a talented player, but it would be a pretty big step up for him.

(source: http://www.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=179773)

Edited by Steve_E

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Careful, Mark. They're still young and need to be bled in, but we still need a sturdy backup.

With you here, but think we could find a cheaper, more experienced option. Don't think we need to be going for young, expensive talent given that we've got Stones and a steady veteran in Jags, but we need to find two, inexpensive options as cover.

With you here, but think we could find a cheaper, more experienced option. Don't think we need to be going for young, expensive talent given that we've got Stones and a steady veteran in Jags, but we need to find two, inexpensive options as cover.

I think 1 back up is enough. I want Galloway and Browning to get their chances, and if we're down to the bare bones with 2 of the 3 CB injured, then why not give them a chance? A bit like Duffy got a few years ago, he stepped in along Heitinga and did quite well (from what I remember at least)

I think 1 back up is enough. I want Galloway and Browning to get their chances, and if we're down to the bare bones with 2 of the 3 CB injured, then why not give them a chance? A bit like Duffy got a few years ago, he stepped in along Heitinga and did quite well (from what I remember at least)

Fair enough, but that's assuming Martinez rates Browning and/or Galloway enough to have them ready to step in.

Fair enough, but that's assuming Martinez rates Browning and/or Galloway enough to have them ready to step in.

also friendly reminder we don't have europe next year so there won't be as many matches. i think one solid backup and the 2 young boys are fine. just have league matches and the league and FA cup.