IGNORED

General Election/UK Politics

johnh

Mark, the real reason is that,currently, she (the Conservatives) have a very small majority in the House of Commons. With Labour in such disarray, she is now confident that the Conservatives will win with a large majority. This will kill two birds with one stone. First, she will be voted in as PM. Second, she will have a large majority and therefore an ability to introduce policies without fear of being outvoted.

Perfect -- Thanks John!

March 16th.

“When the SNP government say that it’s the time to start talking about a new independence referendum, I say that just at this point, all our energies should be focused on our negotiations with the European Union about our future relationship.”

Efforts should be focused on “ensuring we get that right deal for the UK and the right deal for Scotland in our negotiations with the European Union”, May said.

“That’s my job as prime minister. Right now we should be working together, not pulling apart,” she continued, adding: “And so, for that reason, I say to the SNP, now is not the time.”

But now is the time for our energies to be focused elsewhere if it gives me more power :rolleyes:.

In Thatcheresque parlance, "You turn if you want to, the lady's not for turning (much more often than an Olympic ice-skater)."

I live with the Hooray Henry brigade and the jolly hockey sticks set just outside Cirencester in the Cotswolds, now I have voted Labour all my life, in the last few elections more out of respect for my parents and North East heritage, I've been here just over 4.5 years and this is a staunch conservative area, but I still voted Labour in the last election knowing full well I was pissing in the wind, this time I won't be voting Labour which I say with a heavy heart, but I won't back Cornyn, so this election for me will be liberal and again due to my location I will still be pissing in the wind.

I just hope that more people who normally vote Labour who have decided that the can't vote for Corbyn, and disillusioned Conservatives don't stay at home but vote for Lib Dems and try to give the Conservatives a bloody nose.

I think it's hard to vote for the Lib Dems. Fallon isn't much better than Corbyn. The choices are terrible.

Lib Dem policy is generally pie in the sky too.

It will be interesting to see what manifesto pledges come out.

I know Bailey it's pretty depressing, just hate to think Conservatives are going to storm it without anyone putting up a credible fight.

Mark, the real reason is that,currently, she (the Conservatives) have a very small majority in the House of Commons. With Labour in such disarray, she is now confident that the Conservatives will win with a large majority. This will kill two birds with one stone. First, she will be voted in as PM. Second, she will have a large majority and therefore an ability to introduce policies without fear of being outvoted.

Also she will get another 5 years as PM

I know Bailey it's pretty depressing, just hate to think Conservatives are going to storm it without anyone putting up a credible fight.

The best chance the other parties have are for putting up a manifesto that includes a remain position. It would put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Guest rusty747

agree with the above but there is another, imho, fair reason for May to do this. Brexit negotiations are due to be completed March 2019. the current government term is due to expire 2020. That would give the EU the opportunity to play hardball knowing that May was up against a time line and wouldn't want to make any decisions unpopular with the UK electorate. by winning a general election in 2017 she is good until 2022 and then has plenty of time to prepare for that election.

I echo both yourself Palfy and Bailey, it's a fairly shitty situation with not much hope sadly as they will likely win by a landslide

I can't bare the conservatives the detrimental effect they had on the industry (Railway) I work in and others they obliterated will always stop me voting for them, if not for the piece of shit that is Corbyn I'd have voted Labour

I echo both yourself Palfy and Bailey, it's a fairly shitty situation with not much hope sadly as they will likely win by a landslide

I can't bare the conservatives the detrimental effect they had on the industry (Railway) I work in and others they obliterated will always stop me voting for them, if not for the piece of shit that is Corbyn I'd have voted Labour

Exactly Paul so let's vote Lib Dem even if it is a protest vote it might have some use, in Labour getting shot of Corbyn, and the Tories seeing even if they win the seats they require on proportional representation they wouldn't have walked it.

Better than just throwing the towel in even if it does go against the grain, and anyway not all Liberals are wishy washy Churchill wasn't.

Exactly Paul so let's vote Lib Dem even if it is a protest vote it might have some use, in Labour getting shot of Corbyn, and the Tories seeing even if they win the seats they require on proportional representation they wouldn't have walked it.

Better than just throwing the towel in even if it does go against the grain, and anyway not all Liberals are wishy washy Churchill wasn't.

I'd just hope that people vote for anyone but the Tories, preferably putting personal preference and dislike of Corbyn/Liberals aside and voting for the party most likely to unseat them in any given constituency (UKIP excepted), that's what I'll be doing.

I'd just hope that people vote for anyone but the Tories, preferably putting personal preference and dislike of Corbyn/Liberals aside and voting for the party most likely to unseat them in any given constituency (UKIP excepted), that's what I'll be doing.

People should vote for the party that shares their beliefs the most. I don't get this vote for x or y in protest.

I couldn't ever vote for the Lib Dems, nor could I vote for a Labour govt under Corbyn. Likewise I won't be going near UKIP either.

People should vote for the party that shares their beliefs the most. I don't get this vote for x or y in protest.

I couldn't ever vote for the Lib Dems, nor could I vote for a Labour govt under Corbyn. Likewise I won't be going near UKIP either.

But if none of them share your views you should go for the least worst option; and how do we know what their views are anyway? They say one thing to get you to vote for them and then do something completely different when they achieve power. Perfect storm time.

But if none of them share your views you should go for the least worst option; and how do we know what their views are anyway? They say one thing to get you to vote for them and then do something completely different when they achieve power. Perfect storm time.

If none of them share your views then don't vote. My previous post was wrong though, you should at least wait to hear what they intend to do and how they intend to do it before making your decision. I'm looking forward to those!

The last part is true though.

correct me if i'm wrong is this how the parties are in england?

Left/Progressive

Green Party

Liberal Democrat

Centrist-Left

Labour

Centrist-Right

Conservative

Right

UKIP

Swap Labour and Lib/Dems and you are about right - unless things have changed a lot since I lived there. Incidentally, I was once a parliamentary candidate for the Liberal Party and knew many of their leaders.