• Jagielka
    • Schneiderlin
    • Coleman
    • Klaassen
    • Wllliams
    • Baines
    • Other please specify
    • Rooney

Do you hate Ferguson then who physically strangled a player on the pitch, was sent off multiple times and went to jail fr being a thug?

Hate him, no. But I've never seen him as the hero many do because of his actions (during his playing time, since he retired and settled, his work has been very impressive and he's gone up a lot in my estimations)

Maybe, but he should stay "club captain" even if he's not the captain on the pitch.

A bit like Terry and Cahill this season gone.

I don't get the Coleman for captain shouts me, would much rather it went to Baines (who is vice captain already isn't he?)

A bit like Terry and Cahill this season gone.

I don't get the Coleman for captain shouts me, would much rather it went to Baines (who is vice captain already isn't he?)

Baines is the same as jags, has a moan sometimes but is more withdrawn lead by example. If Barry would be younger he would be my pick, he gets at the ref and defends our players, more vocal than jags but still not a scumbag.

The reason for Coleman is he is vocal and will have a go at the ref. Also the lads like Seamus and he can get fiesty. The reason that's important is the ref needs to know he got it wrong and give us one back, if we don't do that it's like a Chelsea match where alll the decisions just go their way.

Jags is hardly inspirational though, he's not a winner. Beckham aside I can't think of any good lead by example captains.

Looking at the previous winners Paddock is right in his thinking. I can't remember what Sherwood was like as a player, but the rest of them were vocal.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_footballers_with_a_Premier_League_winner%27s_medal

I guess hes not a winner because he hasn't won anything? Neither has anyone in our team, for a long long time. The last "winner" we had was Phil Neville, he was vocal too, he wasnt a very good footballer though.

I guess hes not a winner because he hasn't won anything? Neither has anyone in our team, for a long long time. The last "winner" we had was Phil Neville, he was vocal too, he wasnt a very good footballer though.

We win more without him, so I'd say he's partly to blame. As for Neville he shouldn't have played as much in his last season, but that could be said about many. As a captain though he was much better than Jags.

• 1 month later...

Added Rooney to the poll options.

Jags will likely stay on as club captain for one more season. On the pitch captain will likely rotate between Baines, Rooney and Barry.

Agree with this and think it's right, Jags has done nothing to deserve to lose it so he should keep the title even if he's not always on the pitch (Alan Stubbs was captain when he rarely played in later years IIRC). On the pitch I don't think the armband would make any difference to the performance/attitude of the named three so I really don't put much importance on it.

I don't care. It's just an armband. Actually stripping of the armband from Jags may only have negative impact on some players

I'd argue the type of person you pick is symbolic of the way you plan to operate and TBH I don't think Jags ever really wanted it or whether he's the right personality, by all accounts his like to lark about and get up to hijinks so let him enjoy his twilight years and let the little bulldog at it.

I'd positive Jags wanted it. He was the leader in the group at the time, even when Phil Neville was captain (and a good one for the group by all accounts). Neville offered to step down so Jags could take over. He wouldn't have done that if Jags wasn't up to the task or willing.

I agree but could it be the time for Jags to do the same? If he willingly stepped down, no-one would bat an eyelid.

If he did that, i would have Rooney as the captain for a couple of years. Would be a nice ending for him

Edited by Peter H