IGNORED

Europa League 2017-2018

Game over. Slovakia it is. No pushovers clearly, but if we don't beat them over 2 legs, we don't deserve to be in the competition.

yep but they aren't mid season, they are in preseason like us, so that benefit had we played the norwegian team is lost. stadium of 5k, they got 3rd in the Slovak Super Liga last year. we should win this.

I just checked their squad and saw that Jan Mucha (AKA the Slovakian Buffon) does not play for them, so we should handle this.

The only memory of him was when we played City and he looked like a world beater!

Shame he was shite, but what a game he had!

yep but they aren't mid season, they are in preseason like us, so that benefit had we played the norwegian team is lost.

That's not a benefit in my opinion. It's better to play another team in their pre-season, because then they're as rusty as we are. It becomes our out-of-practice 11 against their out-of-practice 11 (and frankly on paper we piss on them), whereas playing a team already up and running is more difficult.

That's why I'm happy we have such a 'difficult' opening to the season. I'd much rather play Man City 2nd game of the season than, for example, 12th, by which time all their new signings will have gelled and everyone will be into a rhythm. The first 5 or 6 games of a season are almost a lottery, with crazy results all over the place.

That's not a benefit in my opinion. It's better to play another team in their pre-season, because then they're as rusty as we are. It becomes our out-of-practice 11 against their out-of-practice 11 (and frankly on paper we piss on them), whereas playing a team already up and running is more difficult.

That's why I'm happy we have such a 'difficult' opening to the season. I'd much rather play Man City 2nd game of the season than, for example, 12th, by which time all their new signings will have gelled and everyone will be into a rhythm. The first 5 or 6 games of a season are almost a lottery, with crazy results all over the place.

Think that's what Mark was getting at if you look at earlier posts. The benefit was to the Norwegian side... not us.

In a sense, it's not their preseason. They've already played real games in the Europa.

Now that it's an auto champs league berth teams are taking this seriously, at least more than before. United last year, and the likes of arsenal and Milan and us this year.

Milan will likely finish in a champions league position in their league, possibly even win it.

Milan will likely finish in a champions league position in their league, possibly even win it.

good point, so too could arsenal causing them to write it off, more opportunity for us. Just like with Martinez, i see this as our best shot to get CL (unless the top sides fall apart like when leicester won the league) and we should take it very seriously.