IGNORED

Cheers to All, New From Annapolis Maryland USA!

BlueAnnapolisUSA

Fellow Blues,

My name is Austin, and I have quite the story on becoming an Everton Fan. Born and raised in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania (USA), and was always into American Football, hockey, and amateur wrestling (was decent enough to compete in college at a high NCAA level).

After college, I moved to Chicago, Illinois where I met an Everton supporter at a bar by chance (not shockingly, he was drinking beer watching Saturday morning Premier League football muttering to himself). Heard his accent and asked the 'best way to get into the beautiful game as an American'. His advice was to "pick a team, support them, and soon I would gain a vested interest in their success and pageantry.

He surely wasn't wrong; so we more or less decided that we would support each other's favorite teams. So he became a Pittsburgh Penguins hockey fan, and I became an Everton supporter. Last season was my first full season as a fan, and I must say it was awesome. It really was fantastic to be able to get up Saturday morning and try to continue to learn more and more about the game. Understanding and beginning to learn the nuances of Premier League football (fuck the Koppites), was quite an experience.

I now have both of this year's kits, just the tops; I've been told if I ever wear the shorts and the jersey I would be quite the wanker. But just wanted to reach out to all and say the Blues have a life-long supporter in Maryland United States!

Go Blues! NSNO!

Cheers,

Austin

Austin, you do realise that its a lifetime commitment? I saw my first game in 1946, don't get to the games now as I live just outside London, but I still think Kopites are wankers.

I've been told, by my friend Gethin, that if I ever give up rooting for the blue crest that I am a wanker bulldog chewing on a pissed on thistle. His quotes are hilarious. Once describing an unattractive female as a "bulldog chewing up a wasp". Impressive analogy!

Excited about the new stadium on the docks, and already have plans for seeing a mid-week game and saturday premiership game in the same week in October.

Cheers!

Good to have you on board Austin, I played American football for 4 years for a team in the British NFL called Swindon Steelers, loved the game played end, are you still involved with football, or have you ditched the pads.

Life-long Green Bay Packers fan... Can't get enough NFL and Premiership talk! Fantastic combination for Saturday mornings and Sunday afternoons!

MD and you root for the packers? what about skins or ravens?

Very long story. Born and raised in Pittsburgh. My dad was born and raised in Philadelphia, his parents were too poor to buy an Eagles jersey for him. Grandfather went to a thrift shop and they had a Bart Starr jersey on sale for $0.50 and that was all my grandfather could afford, so he got him that jersey and the rest is history!

and outside of football I follow rugby.

League I follow the mighty Saints (St Helens)

Union I follow Leinster from Ireland.

Grid iron not a great fan as it takes too long and it is just grunt, throw and kick to the uninitiated person like me. However I do like the first team I ever heard of who I later found out are as popular as herpes over there. Dallas Cowboys. can not say I follow them much though.

• 9 months later...
On 11/08/2017 at 06:39, tonkaroost said:

Welcome to the forum. I'm a Packers fan as well but it has more to do with Brett Favre being from close to my area.

We (Meridian High School) got upset in the first round my senior year. Had we won, we would have played against Favre, who was also a senior. Sat in Jordan-Hare and watched him lead USM to wins over Auburn both his Jr and Sr year, then wen't down to the locker rooms and ate crow from the 3-4 old HS teammates  who were at USM. Not a huge NFL fan anymore, but I like the Pack, thanks to the Mississippi boy.

6 minutes ago, Ghoat said:

We (Meridian High School) got upset in the first round my senior year. Had we won, we would have played against Favre, who was also a senior. Sat in Jordan-Hare and watched him lead USM to wins over Auburn both his Jr and Sr year, then wen't down to the locker rooms and ate crow from the 3-4 old HS teammates  who were at USM. Not a huge NFL fan anymore, but I like the Pack, thanks to the Mississippi boy.

I know Meridian well. I pass through it on my way from Hattiesburg to Columbus and have a couple of friends that live there.

One of the guys I work with cycles with Brett Favre on the weekends -- I'm hoping I get a chance to meet him eventually. I also used to live pretty close to him, but all you see when you pass his house is a big iron gate with a big "F" on it. He's pretty far off of the road.

Did you go to college in MS?

1 minute ago, tonkaroost said:

I know Meridian well. I pass through it on my way from Hattiesburg to Columbus and have a couple of friends that live there.

One of the guys I work with cycles with Brett Favre on the weekends -- I'm hoping I get a chance to meet him eventually. I also used to live pretty close to him, but all you see when you pass his house is a big iron gate with a big "F" on it. He's pretty far off of the road.

I left Meridian after HS, but still go back to see family. My youngest daughter will graduate next year and is looking at USM and Troy. One of my "soccer daughters" just graduated and has a full academic ride to USM. I have helped the coaches work with her for the last few years, she has been are starting GK since 9th grade. 6' tall and grouchy, invited to tryout at USM, but doesn't want to keep playing :(  Her Dad has been asking me soccer questions for years, and 2 years ago started following the EPL watching Hull because that's where family traces back to. He didn't know who to follow after they got relegated, so I recruited him, now he's hooked. Many a Sunday morning drinking bloody marys at 8am, with him cussing Fat Sam. 

I am creating my own local EFC fanbase. We're up to three now lol

Sorry about the thread hijack AnnapolisBlue!