IGNORED

James Mcfadden

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't see the point.

Is he any better than what we have already got? No

Will he cost us anything? Yes, even if he is on relatively low wages of 10k per week thats still 500k in a year for nothing, or in other words Vellios + Coleman + 100k.

Do we have any good young players in his position? Yes, Baxter, Gueye, Barkley and Vellios spring to mind, these guys could find there appearences even more limited by the arrival of McFadden hampering there development.

The one thing we have going for us at the moment is the quality of youth development here and the reputation for giving youngsters a go, but this will only disgruntle the talented youngsters at the club and put off any thinking of joining, if we would rather take a risk on a 28 year old who has never quite cut it at this level than take a risk on a young play.

McFadden will never move this club forward, the likes of Vellios, Gueye, Barkley an Baxter will if they are developed properly.

Rant over, frustrations vented, good luck to you James, I hope you prove me wrong, COYB!

This is what I posted earlier outlining what I see the negatives of this deal. So far the only positive anyone seems to have come up with is that it is an extra player, which I really don't see as much of a positive. Sunderland are a great example of a team with quantity over quality. If I am to grow up and start seeing the positives, someones going to have to tell me what they are, because I really can't see any.

Haf mate, we both know the day you are positive about anything I'll faint, so it doesn't surprise me to see you disgruntled yet again lol. laugh.png

Av let's be honest what is or has there been positive that has happened to the club recently? I was optimistic and pleased when we got drenthe and I seen his debut, soon enough moyesy gets his mallet out and smashes the square peg Leon Osman into the round hole that is Left Mid. The day we resign an inconsistent, barely fit championship reject Moyes goes on to state that the vultures will soon be circling Barkley! really Davie? would these vultures be sending their scouts to watch him kick a ball around in his back yard cos we ain't getting to see him on the pitch.

It's soon gonna get to the stage soon that the fans will be wishing thigh strains on Osman, Neville, Cahill and Jagielka in the hope that Moyes actually plays his best form players for the positions needed. Which in other words means starting Drenthe, Vellios, Barkley and when fit Heitinga.

Av let's be honest what is or has there been positive that has happened to the club recently? I was optimistic and pleased when we got drenthe and I seen his debut, soon enough moyesy gets his mallet out and smashes the square peg Leon Osman into the round hole that is Left Mid. The day we resign an inconsistent, barely fit championship reject Moyes goes on to state that the vultures will soon be circling Barkley! really Davie? would these vultures be sending their scouts to watch him kick a ball around in his back yard cos we ain't getting to see him on the pitch.

It's soon gonna get to the stage soon that the fans will be wishing thigh strains on Osman, Neville, Cahill and Jagielka in the hope that Moyes actually plays his best form players for the positions needed. Which in other words means starting Drenthe, Vellios, Barkley and when fit Heitinga.

agree 100% haf, ive never had a huge amount of faith in Moyes for a number of reasons, but the remaining bit i did have is dripping away very quickly at the moment

Avinalaff, I could not disagree more (apart from the goal v. Charlton) with your description of MacFadden. One of the most frustrating players I have seen in my forty odd years watching Everton. Hard working, honestly I have seen habitual doleites work harder. I wasn't shocked to see him leave three years ago, in fact most Blues I know where quite happy with that decision because he offered nothing to the team, more shocked at his return. A championship side don't want him, a constant premiership relegation side don't want him and a struggling team in a two horse race don't want him, if they did they would have pulled out the stops to et him. Your quote of "I wasn't going to bother posting for a while, as I've not felt enthusiastic about anything football related for weeks....." really sums this episode up for me. Like most who have voiced their disagreement let us hope how wrong we are.

This

The lad has come here on a free. Losing Beckford, or any other player is irrelevant to signing Mcfadden. We are skint, and have a squad that is not big enough to ensure our Premiership survival should we suffer injuries. The transfer window is closed until January, which means we can't sign anybody else until then. Mcfadden joining us strengthens our squad. This is the only fact we need concern ourselves about. He hasn't joined to be our number one striker. He is simply part of our squad, and our squad is now stronger by one player.

All the negatives being passed around are pointless.

How can any fan be unhappy about him joining for free? Put your brains in to gear, and stop confusing the issue. Moyes didn't have a choice between signing Mcfadden or Messi, and chose Mcfadden. He had a choice between saying yes or no to a free player, and quite rightly said yes.

Even if you think he isn't good enough, it is irrelevant. He was free, and our squad is now stronger because of him signing. I swear some of you don't look beyond your noses through crying about everything you have no control of.

Feel free to continue to be negative, and dampen your spirits further, or grow the fuck up and see the positives.

Just because we are skint it doesnt mean we should be picking up freebies (who as many people have pointed out will still cost us a decent amount of wages come the end of the year). He wont improve the current quality of the squad unless we have a major injury crisis in 2 positions. Its simply a completely pointless signing and I dont see any positive. Having an extra body isnt a positive if he isnt going to improve what we have. There is a difference between being negative and being realistic, and I believe the majority of the people that are opposing your view are the latter.

This

Just because we are skint it doesnt mean we should be picking up freebies (who as many people have pointed out will still cost us a decent amount of wages come the end of the year). He wont improve the current quality of the squad unless we have a major injury crisis in 2 positions. Its simply a completely pointless signing and I dont see any positive. Having an extra body isnt a positive if he isnt going to improve what we have. There is a difference between being negative and being realistic, and I believe the majority of the people that are opposing your view are the latter.

Why do some of you guys think that just because we have brought in Mcfadden that our other players won't get a chance?

If the other players were ready for 90 minutes they would have played for 90 minutes. Moyes isn't stupid. It's not Moyes that is the problem. He is still the clever manager that took us to the top end of the table.

We don't know the full in's and out's of why Moyes made the decision. I'm inclined to believe it's because he knows Faddy and can use him. It's time to let Everton Football Club worry about his wages, not us. A team with Faddy in it is surely better than a team without him.

Once again, it is about the squad. Not, about any single player. We did a similar thing with Lucas Neil. Faddy is a much better acquisition as Moyes already knows him, and Faddy already knows Moyes. He's still only 28, and he's not the worst player in the world. We have worse players on our books than Faddy.

I don't get all the moaning.

Everton 'with' J Mcfadden v Everton 'without' J Mcfadden?

It's a no brainer.

Why do some of you guys think that just because we have brought in Mcfadden that our other players won't get a chance?

If the other players were ready for 90 minutes they would have played for 90 minutes. Moyes isn't stupid. It's not Moyes that is the problem. He is still the clever manager that took us to the top end of the table.

We don't know the full in's and out's of why Moyes made the decision. I'm inclined to believe it's because he knows Faddy and can use him. It's time to let Everton Football Club worry about his wages, not us. A team with Faddy in it is surely better than a team without him.

Once again, it is about the squad. Not, about any single player. We did a similar thing with Lucas Neil. Faddy is a much better acquisition as Moyes already knows him, and Faddy already knows Moyes. He's still only 28, and he's not the worst player in the world. We have worse players on our books than Faddy.

I don't get all the moaning.

Everton 'with' J Mcfadden v Everton 'without' J Mcfadden?

It's a no brainer.

One aspect of the problem av is that moyes hardly needs an excuse to play someone other than a player the fans have been crying out to be played. In a normal scenario McFadden would not and should not be played ahead of what we have already.

One aspect of the problem av is that moyes hardly needs an excuse to play someone other than a player the fans have been crying out to be played. In a normal scenario McFadden would not and should not be played ahead of what we have already.

What have we seen of Vellios? What has Moyes seen of Vellios?

I like the lad, and every game I'm crying out to give him a go, but that isn't based upon anything other than the few times I've seen him. Moyes sees him every day. I'm sure Moyes feels he is nearly ready, and might have to give him a bigger go soon, but he is unproven. The same can be said for Gueye and our other lads. Moyes trains them every day.

Saha will get injured soon if history repeats itself, and we will have no senior strikers.

We know little about the Argentinian lad, but we know a lot about Faddy. Having all our options fit still gives us a small squad. It's not like we're at the beginning of the season. The window opens again in just over 10 weeks. I didn't see too many crying when we used Landon Donovan for a 10 week spell, or Lucas Neill.

We have to start trusting in Moyes. If we can't do this then why have him?

What have we seen of Vellios? What has Moyes seen of Vellios?

I like the lad, and every game I'm crying out to give him a go, but that isn't based upon anything other than the few times I've seen him. Moyes sees him every day. I'm sure Moyes feels he is nearly ready, and might have to give him a bigger go soon, but he is unproven. The same can be said for Gueye and our other lads. Moyes trains them every day.

Saha will get injured soon if history repeats itself, and we will have no senior strikers.

We know little about the Argentinian lad, but we know a lot about Faddy. Having all our options fit still gives us a small squad. It's not like we're at the beginning of the season. The window opens again in just over 10 weeks. I didn't see too many crying when we used Landon Donovan for a 10 week spell, or Lucas Neill.

We have to start trusting in Moyes. If we can't do this then why have him?

Well now that you have put it that way the answer regarding trusting moyes to do the right thing with the players at his diosposal leaves me regretfully questioning him.

Sure he get's them in, but for what? Fellaini wasted the best part of a year being played as an attacking midfielder when he is a defensive mid. Ossie is played on the left when he is a different level in the centre. Rodwell's development seemed to stall, moyes playing him on the right mid at times. Barkley seems to have been a big part of his plans and now must be wondering what he has done wrong (don't let him dwell too much on his Blackburn mistake eh Dave) - Drenthe - shows the pace we have cried out for and he is a benchwarmer. Moyes sticks with his loyal subjects to a fault.

If you are telling me that he sees something in McFadden that abysmal stats say otherwise then i'm sorry I will question him again. I liked McFaddens unpredictability, now he is predictably average. Have a nosey on a Birmingham forum, his stats are woeful, 9 goals from open play in 3 years! Vellios has scored 2 in 59 minutes.

Well now that you have put it that way the answer regarding trusting moyes to do the right thing with the players at his diosposal leaves me regretfully questioning him.

Sure he get's them in, but for what? Fellaini wasted the best part of a year being played as an attacking midfielder when he is a defensive mid. Ossie is played on the left when he is a different level in the centre. Rodwell's development seemed to stall, moyes playing him on the right mid at times. Barkley seems to have been a big part of his plans and now must be wondering what he has done wrong (don't let him dwell too much on his Blackburn mistake eh Dave) - Drenthe - shows the pace we have cried out for and he is a benchwarmer. Moyes sticks with his loyal subjects to a fault.

If you are telling me that he sees something in McFadden that abysmal stats say otherwise then i'm sorry I will question him again. I liked McFaddens unpredictability, now he is predictably average. Have a nosey on a Birmingham forum, his stats are woeful, 9 goals from open play in 3 years! Vellios has scored 2 in 59 minutes.

Haf, I think the same thing regularly, but Moyes doesn't have cash, and unfortunately he has to be resourceful. Often he buys someone, and we think what on earth? But then the player becomes good in a few years, and we all credit Moyes' forethought.

I just can't see the point in being any further frustrated than we already are. There 'are' positives if we look for them. At least let's see the guy on the pitch before we condemn the move.

So on the negative side he isn't an improvement on what we have, he is costing the club money in wages, and he is hindering the development of promising youngsters by limiting there game time. But on the plus side he isn't the worst player on our books. Well thats me sold, come on Fadders!

Just to add to the negativity the guy hasn't played a competitve game for over a year after a serious injury, many players have failed to come back the same player after an injury like that and I didn't rate him too highly before the injury. I think he represents the same risk if not more than the likes of Gueye or Vellios, but not for the same reward should the risk pay off.

Wahey! Nice one, pisses me right off that any of the youngsters wont get in the starting line up even in front of HIM. Why oh why oh why?!!

Who says that the youngsters won't get a game now? Has Moyes said this?

If they're good enough, Moyes will play them. If they don't get played, it's not because of Mcfadden for crying out loud. It's because of 'them'.

Where has this crazy notion come from that other lads will no longer get a chance?

If they're good enough, Moyes will play them. If they don't get played, it's not because of Mcfadden for crying out loud. It's because of 'them'.

Where has this crazy notion come from that other lads will no longer get a chance?

Probably from the fact that drenthe, vellios, gueye, havent started yet, Barkley has been, but now isn't, and jonny when fit doesn't!

Get a chance to start? No. Get a chance on the bench? Yes. Get 5-10 min game time? Maybe. I like what I see with Vellios, time to start him, oh hang on a minute Cahill plays up front. Never mind, we could always start Maggie on the left, hang on he is injured? What about before his injury? I want to see young hungry player out there. Let us see what potential we really have, If they can hack it that is.

If McFadden plays, they will be minutes on the pitch that could be used to develop one of the young lads, if he doen't play then whats the point in bringing him in. If he is higher up in the pecking order than Gueye or Vellios then yes he will take playing time off them, if he is not then we really don't need hm as these lads barely get any playing time as it is so he will get none, again pointless. Moyes isn't going to come out and say McFaddens arrival will limit young players time on the pitch, but that is a biproduct of having a larger squad. Any players we bring n should improve the squad, I just don't feel McFadden does that.

The lad has come here on a free. Losing Beckford, or any other player is irrelevant to signing Mcfadden. We are skint, and have a squad that is not big enough to ensure our Premiership survival should we suffer injuries. The transfer window is closed until January, which means we can't sign anybody else until then. Mcfadden joining us strengthens our squad. This is the only fact we need concern ourselves about. He hasn't joined to be our number one striker. He is simply part of our squad, and our squad is now stronger by one player.

All the negatives being passed around are pointless.

How can any fan be unhappy about him joining for free? Put your brains in to gear, and stop confusing the issue. Moyes didn't have a choice between signing Mcfadden or Messi, and chose Mcfadden. He had a choice between saying yes or no to a free player, and quite rightly said yes.

Even if you think he isn't good enough, it is irrelevant. He was free, and our squad is now stronger because of him signing. I swear some of you don't look beyond your noses through crying about everything you have no control of.

Feel free to continue to be negative, and dampen your spirits further, or grow the fuck up and see the positives.

We got Beckford for nothing as with McFadden so it's just as relevant mate, I know we made a few bob on Beckford but for me he was worth keeping hold of especially if we knew we would be taking back players who were very little good in the first instance plus we still have to pay his wages.

No one said anything about Moyes choosing between world class players and average ones at best your making crap up to justify your opinion...The simple fact is it's a backward step if you cant see that than in my opinion its you who needs to pull his head out of his arse and see the plain obvious.

He's a past player we got shut of who was at the best of time's very lazy plus for me very average and if he's given time on the pitch thats time taken from the younger lads who need blooding in.

We are skint thats a no brainer so our best chance of moving forward some-what is using the young lads not players from the past.

Edited by EFC-Paul

I still dont see how this is a backward step, unless he starts playing every game. This year we registered how many players for the season? 17 i think it was (after Arteta left too), not including the youth. You can register 25 without including the youth. This is a player who has experience and at least gives us an option if required. Given our history with injuries, i think its a good move to have someone as back up though he should only stay as back up. Youth should be given the chance but saying that were going backward is daft in my eyes.

In his interview he said Moyes had told him where he was planning on playing him but that he might be used in numerous different positions.

I don't know about anyone else, but that doesn't sound like someone who's just going to get the odd game.

As a back-up player he's a decent signing, but if he's anything more than that then Moyes needs questioning.

We got Beckford for nothing as with McFadden so it's just as relevant mate, I know we made a few bob on Beckford but for me he was worth keeping hold of especially if we knew we would be taking back players who were very little good in the first instance plus we still have to pay his wages.

No one said anything about Moyes choosing between world class players and average ones at best your making crap up to justify your opinion...The simple fact is it's a backward step if you cant see that than in my opinion its you who needs to pull his head out of his arse and see the plain obvious.

He's a past player we got shut of who was at the best of time's very lazy plus for me very average and if he's given time on the pitch thats time taken from the younger lads who need blooding in.

We are skint thats a no brainer so our best chance of moving forward some-what is using the young lads not players from the past.

And if the young lads don't cut it, what do we do?

I was a big fan of Beckford, but he's gone. So has Yakubu, so has Vaughan, and a few other strikers are out on loan. We probably won't sign anybody in January, unless it's a loan, and it's a long season. Moyes needs options, and Faddy on a free adds experience to the squad.

Only Vellios has scored more than once this season, but that isn't enough to rely on him. We don't see him every day. If he is ready, Moyes will play him, regardless of Faddy joining. Neither Saha or Cahill have a league goal between them, and one of them might be off soon.

Returning to McFadden is like dating someone you used to go out with. You knew they were a bit lousy, but you’re not exactly spoiled for choice at the moment, so you think why not? Only to find out very soon why you split in the first place and you’re wasting your money (again).

Edited by formby

People get carried away with the "free" tag. Lets use Beckford as an example - he played a third of the game minutes for 2010-2011 season on approx £20k a week - let's pro rata that - he was a £60k a week player if you compare his minutes played to that of Distin.

Sure, you can apply the same to expensive bench warmers or injury prones such as Yak, Saha, Bily etc, but let's face it they were signed under the premise of Key players - meaning if fit will play (thus ensuring a return on investment)

Given that clubs such as celtic, wolves were considering Faddy and he rejected their deals, I can't see him being a pay as you play contract. He will be on at least £15k a week.

Some of you in defense of Kenwright have said "look at our squad now compared to x years ago - he has to take some credit for that" You can repeat that notion now, take away home grown talent and compare our squad to that of 2 years ago? Backwards? Yes indeed.

Our squad has a very diluted look to it - McFadden has added to that. Unless he is a better player than the one that left - which I highly doubt then this is a backward step, make no mistake.

Returning to McFadden is like dating someone you used to go out with. You knew they were a bit lousy, but you’re not exactly spoiled for choice at the moment, so you think why not? Only to find out very soon why you split in the first place and you’re wasting your money (again).

FWB? Footballer with benefits?

At least McFadden sucks once a week ;-)

Joking aside - desperate times call for desperate measures it seems. Best folks can do is get behind him, give him a chance, and them knock him (and Moyes) if it doesn't work out. I just don't see what other choice you have!

And if the young lads don't cut it, what do we do?

I was a big fan of Beckford, but he's gone. So has Yakubu, so has Vaughan, and a few other strikers are out on loan. We probably won't sign anybody in January, unless it's a loan, and it's a long season. Moyes needs options, and Faddy on a free adds experience to the squad.

Only Vellios has scored more than once this season, but that isn't enough to rely on him. We don't see him every day. If he is ready, Moyes will play him, regardless of Faddy joining. Neither Saha or Cahill have a league goal between them, and one of them might be off soon.

Trouble is Faddy didn't cut it first time, and he didn't cut it at brum, and if the young lads don't cut it then we are in deep shit, but I can't see that signing Macfaddin is gonna help us one bit. I think the signing of Faddy is possibly a sign of the deep shit we are tittering on the edge of. I hope the likes of vellios and drenthe could add an extra dimension to our team, which does seem to have happened when they have come on, I can't see that happening with Faddy. I think possible that the bigger picture is not signing Faddy but more why we ended up with no option but to sign him?!

Trouble is Faddy didn't cut it first time, and he didn't cut it at brum, and if the young lads don't cut it then we are in deep shit, but I can't see that signing Macfaddin is gonna help us one bit. I think the signing of Faddy is possibly a sign of the deep shit we are tittering on the edge of. I hope the likes of vellios and drenthe could add an extra dimension to our team, which does seem to have happened when they have come on, I can't see that happening with Faddy. I think possible that the bigger picture is not signing Faddy but more why we ended up with no option but to sign him?!

My first reaction was one of disbelief too, but then I looked at the bigger picture, and the bottom line is we are skint, and a free James Mcfadden is better than an Everton without him. Saha hasn't had a long period of injury free play since his Fulham days, and he isn't scoring. Moyes has something in mind. Let's see what it is before worrying.

My first reaction was one of disbelief too, but then I looked at the bigger picture, and the bottom line is we are skint, and a free James Mcfadden is better than an Everton without him. Saha hasn't had a long period of injury free play since his Fulham days, and he isn't scoring. Moyes has something in mind. Let's see what it is before worrying.

I hope to god your right! My worry is what's stopping us signing more free explayers, what the hell is BK doing to sort it out, but that's another topic of discussion

Edited by mogsy