IGNORED

The Belittling Media?

Louis

Does anybody else feel like we are not getting a fair crack at the whip from the soft southerners? Do you think that they are trying to belittle us by linking our players to other clubs, is it just idle gossip or are they.. (conspiracy time) Spurs supporting reporters trying to upset the cart on route to Europe?

Recent Stories (all proven false with exception of Cahill):

Cahill lined up for Ferguson and has played his last game

Arteta linked with Spain with quotes taken out of context

AJ linked with West Ham with some bullshit story

Lescott linked with Real Madrid

Tim Howard not signing and going back to Man Utd

Yobo linked with Man Utd and Chelsea

This guy has put it more eloquent than I ever could:

As we enter the final straight of the season, it seems the usual round of gossip and rumour has already started, requiring all of us to have a steady nerve. I do wonder, though, if there isn’t a more sinister agenda at work and whether the media is becoming increasingly unnerved by the collection of decent players we are amassing and our league position. In my opinion they are increasingly worried that we are emerging as a force again and that they might have to actually start reporting on Everton and not ignoring us completely.

Despite the views of many contributors to TW, most of the people I talk to (both our supporters, but in particular those of other teams) reckon we’re a good side with some excellent players. Believe it or not, they also rate David Moyes highly and, depending on who they support (eg, not Man Utd or Chelsea!) are quite envious of the progress we have made in recent years. If you take a “wood for the trees” approach this is quite illuminating as, like many postbaggers, I get depressed with some of the football I see and exasperated with some of our tactics and substitutions. However, to hear the views of other supporters (including those of the most successful) complimenting Everton, provides a more balanced perspective on our progress to date.

Not so with the media. Compliments about Everton are as scarce as rocking horse doo doo. I was disappointed, but not surprised, that Moyes 5th ‘birthday’ has received little press attention; as love him or hate him, five years in the hot seat is no mean achievement for any Premiership manager. However, I am more concerned with what I see as genuine attempts by the media to upset key players, in a way I don’t see happening elsewhere.

Today’s reports re Andrew Johnson were typical. Poor journalism in the Express and elsewhere had no foundation, but was reported as though fact, such that the player has to issue strenuous denials. This follows on the back of an insidious campaign to brand AJ a cheat and which clearly affected his performances; as well as denying us valuable points. Lescott and Arteta have also come in for similar treatment.

It worries me that, whilst supporters respect the Club and many aspire to have their clubs follow the Everton model, the media seem determined to undermine EFC. The huge media bandwagon which follows without question the fortunes of “the big four” has little time for most other Clubs and especially, in my view, Everton. I’d be interested to know the column inches we receive compared to other clubs; my perception is that we fall well behind even clubs like West Ham. So, in my paranoia, I reckon they have an agenda to keep us in our place.

Why should this matter? When it costs us points, unsettles players and puts other players off moving to Goodison, we should all be concerned. What can we do about it? To be fair to the Club, they were vigourous in defending AJ; extracting an apology from Mourhino and an acknowledgement from the refereeing community that they had been overly harsh. We can make sure that we do our bit by supporting all our players both on and off the pitch, as well as supporting Moyes more. This doesn’t mean he is above criticism, but he clearly plans to stick around and Bill Kenwright is firmly behind him, so let’s get behind him. Unity within the Club should more than make up for those who snipe from behind the media barricades, with their sole aim being to disunite our Club and so disrupt the steady progress being made.

I think we as Evertonians and supporters analyse our own team and see everything blue

If you put yourself in another seams mindset for 1 week you will see similar stories for every team

Just because were blue we see everything blue

That goes without saying Zed but can you honestly say we get as much publicity as Spurs or West Ham ? That's where London Bias kicks in.

Also I'm very disappointed with the way Trinity Mirror Group have not mentioned the KEIOC Campaign, it's a complete whitewash and cuts off the fans from having a voice on the local media. Of course they are only looking after their own business interests (they publish the monthly Evertonian and Annuals). The TM group control the echo, daily post, liverpool metro and the wirral globe (probably the local liverpool papers but I wouldnt know about that).

That goes without saying Zed but can you honestly say we get as much publicity as Spurs or West Ham ? That's where London Bias kicks in.

Also I'm very disappointed with the way Trinity Mirror Group have not mentioned the KEIOC Campaign, it's a complete whitewash and cuts off the fans from having a voice on the local media. Of course they are only looking after their own business interests (they publish the monthly Evertonian and Annuals). The TM group control the echo, daily post, liverpool metro and the wirral globe (probably the local liverpool papers but I wouldnt know about that).

I aggre that we dont get the best press, but dont agree that there is some sort of conspiracy

I think its widly know that a lot of jouros are west ham fans, and there is a big london bias, also the journos always kiss the big 4's arse

but i thought that the papers we see in the north west have a northern bias

Anyways, I think, and rightly so, we are very biased and can have a bit of a chip on our shoulders about things (and why not)

Zed.. I didn't say it was a conspiracy as such.. I've just pointed out that the local papers are not too keen give any details out for those who wish for Everton to stay in the city.

But thats down to a bit of politics, dont you think. Everton have press and media personel who answer to big keith and kenwright, who clearly want the kirkby option, so they are going to use their muscle to "influence" the press

Im sure all that goes on behind closed doors

It's not my usual paper (honestly, it's not) but buzzing after yesterday's result, I logged onto the Daily Telegraph's webiste - read our match report, it is fair and gives us the credit we deserve. I'm not being snooty about this, but the broadsheet papers actually write good articles about the various footy issues and teams - we get lots of good write up's in the Guardian etc. The tabloids sell papers on tittle tattle and emotive one liners that rarely have any truth or mean anything.

Some times when I read the reports I wonder if they've even seen the game, especially when they get obvius thing wrong

I thought that last night after watching MOTD 2. They said we played to stifle Arsenal, did they not notice we had an attacking formation. I hate the brummie twat Adrian Chiles.

Mark, Send a letter to him ;)

Zed, I asked a sports journalist why so many get the ratings or sometimes a whole build up play wrong. He said that because the journalists are writing/typing everything down they miss something and have to get it from one of the journalists in the box who may have seen some/all of it. Thats why most newspapers have the same reports and that there isn't much difference. Also with he internet and mobiles people want the information as soon as possible so they can't always watch the game back again but it pretty much gets sent back to the editor straight away to get the story on the website and ready for publication.

Edited by TrueBlue

Tottenham and Arsenal are chasing Everton hotshot Andy Johnson.

The Daily Mail says Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has admitted he is a big admirer of the striker who could lead the England attack in the vital Euro 2008 qualifier in Israel on Saturday.

He is the goalmouth poacher needed to polish off the elaborate build up play which is thrilling the red half of North London.

Johnson is homesick for the capital and would love to move to the Emirates Stadium as he grew up an Arsenal fan.

But Tottenham have also expressed interest in AJ in the past and could rival their neighbours for his services.

Everton needs funds to rebuild their squad, especially if they qualify for next term's UEFA Cup, but are desperate to keep Johnson on Merseyside.

If they receive an offer of £12million or more, however, they will find the offer very difficult to turn down.

Apart from the homesick part being complete fabrication, who are we going to buy better than Johnson with 12m? Lazy journalism at it's best.