IGNORED

Summer Signings

Sell Cahill? Are you lot all nutters???

One of you lot said something like "he gets goals but hes not the best midfielder" Well that'll do me. How many of our players are all round players anyway? Maybe Cahill has some defensive frailties but hes such an asset to us we have to keep him.

Someone else said "Cahill is a saleable player so we should cash in". SURELY, that fact that you think he is SALEABLE translates to him being a GOOD PLAYER, otherwise he wouldnt be saleable would he. I DESPAIR SOMETIMES.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sell Cahill? Are you lot all nutters???

One of you lot said something like "he gets goals but hes not the best midfielder" Well that'll do me. How many of our players are all round players anyway? Maybe Cahill has some defensive frailties but hes such an asset to us we have to keep him.

Someone else said "Cahill is a saleable player so we should cash in". SURELY, that fact that you think he is SALEABLE translates to him being a GOOD PLAYER, otherwise he wouldnt be saleable would he. I DESPAIR SOMETIMES.

No, we are not nutter at all - We all talk about moving on and improving the players at the club. But when you don't have mega bucks to splash around on players - you have to think strongly about selling some players to bring others in, especially if they can bring a fair few quid in to your transfer coffers.

I agree when you first hear the phrase 'sell Cahill' it does sound absolute madness. But you have to think about the whole picture rather than one player.

In my opinion to 'move on' we have to start more games 4-4-2 formation. To do this you have to have 'better' midfeild players, so 4 will basically do the job of 5 to a degree.

Arteta is a definate starter along with either Carsley or Neville, then we may be looking at having Fernandez in the middle. That then leave a left sided position.

Cahill is not the answer to the left side of midfeild. So that would beg the question where would you fit Cahill in the starting 11 in a 4-4-2 formation if we where able to get fernandez. Would Cahill be a regular starter, or would he be a bench player, or used when 4-5-1 is adopted or when injuries hit the team.

In the right formation Cahill is indeed a very valuble player - but the better teams play 4-4-2 regular and the wanna be's grind results out using 4-5-1.

Money being no object Cahill is definately a player I want in our squad - Problem is money is an object and Everton have to cut there cloth accordingly.

Lets just see how we get on for the rest of the season without him - can we survive without his headed goals from corners?

If we are able to have two forwards on the pitch and more creative midfeilders in the middle the idea is that Cahills goals would be compensated elsewhere.

to move on you have to look beyond headed goals from corners as one of your main weapon!!! and moneywise we are not yet in a position to have our cake and eat it!!

to move on you have to look beyond headed goals from corners as one of your main weapon!!! and moneywise we are not yet in a position to have our cake and eat it!!

i think having the ability to score goals from headers in set pieces is a great thing (after all any goal is still a goal) and cahill will definately help us move on compared to selling him and buying a LM, we'll never get an LM that can bring what cahill brings to our game for the same price. also think about this.. everyone agrees that we have done extremely well this season so far without cahill, image how we could do next season with Cahill Fernandez and Arteta. Plus i think the players will play even harder if they know theres a class player on the bench who can replace them.

i think having the ability to score goals from headers in set pieces is a great thing (after all any goal is still a goal) and cahill will definately help us move on compared to selling him and buying a LM, we'll never get an LM that can bring what cahill brings to our game for the same price. also think about this.. everyone agrees that we have done extremely well this season so far without cahill, image how we could do next season with Cahill Fernandez and Arteta. Plus i think the players will play even harder if they know theres a class player on the bench who can replace them.

"After all any goal is a still a goal" - whether it comes from a headed goal of a corner or by having more creative midfeilders and a couple of strikers on the park. Your point is? We stay as we are and not try and 'move on'?

Problem how do you pay to bring in Fernandez and a LM and have class players on the bench. I would love to know were all this money is coming from?? And this is the major point

Yes, it would be great to have Cahill in the starting line up as well, but we can only have 11 players on the feild - who gets left out. Or is it back to 4-5-1 as the normal line up?

Ideally, yes we don't sell Cahill, bring in other quality player and if we find then that Cahill does become a fringe player we then sell. Problem is we don't have the funds to afford that type a luxury.

All I am saying is out of all the player we have that are worth a fair few bob (Yobo, Lescott, Arteta, Johnston) - Cahill is the one that I would say is the most sacrificable

Let me put it another way if we HAD to sell one of our players to raise cash out for transfers, of the 5 named that would bring a decent wedge - who is possibly the one we would manage best without?

Absolutely agree RoughRob.

In an ideal world you would keep him - but we have to be looking to becoming more offensive.

If Nugent comes to partner AJ - who do you drop from the midfield?

We would a holding midfielder i.e. neville and he can't play left wing. So do you drop Arteta or Fernandez? Do you heck!

We need 4 Arteta's!!

"After all any goal is a still a goal" - whether it comes from a headed goal of a corner or by having more creative midfeilders and a couple of strikers on the park. Your point is? We stay as we are and not try and 'move on'?

Problem how do you pay to bring in Fernandez and a LM and have class players on the bench. I would love to know were all this money is coming from?? And this is the major point

Yes, it would be great to have Cahill in the starting line up as well, but we can only have 11 players on the feild - who gets left out. Or is it back to 4-5-1 as the normal line up?

Ideally, yes we don't sell Cahill, bring in other quality player and if we find then that Cahill does become a fringe player we then sell. Problem is we don't have the funds to afford that type a luxury.

All I am saying is out of all the player we have that are worth a fair few bob (Yobo, Lescott, Arteta, Johnston) - Cahill is the one that I would say is the most sacrificable

Let me put it another way if we HAD to sell one of our players to raise cash out for transfers, of the 5 named that would bring a decent wedge - who is possibly the one we would manage best without?

Cahill has a good footballing brain hence why he is often in the right place at the right time. Take away Cahill and a different player would not be in the same position probably meaning less goals. Out of the 5 you mentioned we dont need to get rid of any. BUT seeing as were speaking hypothetically why not get rid of Johnson? Seems as daft an idea as Cahill to me. Is AJ our answer? I like him but hes hardly up there with the Goodison greats is he? He has many weaknesses (has he ever won a header with his back to goal?).

Cahill has a good footballing brain hence why he is often in the right place at the right time. Take away Cahill and a different player would not be in the same position probably meaning less goals. Out of the 5 you mentioned we dont need to get rid of any. BUT seeing as were speaking hypothetically why not get rid of Johnson? Seems as daft an idea as Cahill to me. Is AJ our answer? I like him but hes hardly up there with the Goodison greats is he? He has many weaknesses (has he ever won a header with his back to goal?).

Don't know so much - playing with two strikers and better quality midfeilders doesn't mean less goals becasue Tim Cahill isn't playing, in all likleyhood it should mean more goals, in fact that would be the idea of a 4-4-2 rather than 4-5-1. Don't forget playing as an attacking midfeilder in a 4-5-1 you would expect Cahill to score goals, as that is part of his job.

Cahill has only started 17 out of 30 league games this season, scoring 5 of out of our 38 goals. We have plus 12 goals in our goal column.

So what I am sayig is that this season we are not as relient on Cahill scoring from the middle of the park as we have been. Goals are coming from elsewhere, as the quality of the other players gets better. I just want this to see this continue.

So we CAN manage without Cahill, and at this moment in time he could bring in £6M or so.

What the point is we could possibley better utilise this £6M worth of player elsewhere on the pitch.

Is AJ our answer? I like him but hes hardly up there with the Goodison greats is he? He has many weaknesses (has he ever won a header with his back to goal?).

I hope ur fkin joking mate, I never thought id hear this but that is the biggest load of shit come from an Evertonian.

would u rather us buy 2 lanky fuckers just to win a few headers rather than get vital goals, pens, make things out of nothing, and not to mention he can scare the life out of defenders with pace . :thumbsdown_still:

So we CAN manage without Cahill, and at this moment in time he could bring in £6M or so.

Yer I agree, but we shouldnt have to sell are good players to fund all our summer transfers, bill should give moyesey 2 3rds of this TV revenue to fund Nugent and Manuel and maybe a leftback.

Edited by Blue4Ever

Yer I agree, but we shouldnt have to sell are good players to fund all our summer transfers, bill should give moyesey 2 3rds of this TV revenue to fund Nugent and Manuel and maybe a leftback.

Agree fully, we would be much better off if we could keep all out decent player and just buy even better one.

But the reality is we don't have the finacial clout to do that. So until we have more money to throw around Moyes is going to have to sell as well as buy.

Its just cloud cookoo land to think we have plenty of money to spend, and don't have to sell players to maximise the transfer kitty.

Yes, we should have 'untouchable' players at the club that we should do everything in our power to ensure they stay at the club and we build around. 18 months ago Cahill was one of those such players, but now that pendelum has swung towards Arteta, Lesscot, Yobo and Johnston, as our squad improves. Maybe this summer a certain Fernandez may join those ranks.

Cahills importance to the squad is not as much as it was - that is a fact.

OK lets put it another way - If Cahill was a Blackburn player for instance- Would he be at the very very top of your summer shopping list as the £6M player that squad needed at this moment in time.

It would be hard for me to see Cahill leave. He brings so much hard work determination and presence to the midfield. If it was able to bring in both Fernandes and Barton (who is a few years younger) I would definitely think about it. I don't think you can sell Cahill useless you get a really good offer.

Agree fully, we would be much better off if we could keep all out decent player and just buy even better one.

we need to get Manuel more than any one else so if we only have a bit of money id spend it on him before any other transfer, then look at Nugent if a few leave or maybe another good player. Its better we keep what we have and get 2 good players each year then we could be looking even higher up the league in years to come.

He was using selling AJ as an example of how silly it is to sell your best players I think.

Spot on Romey-la.

One of the earlier posts mentioned that Cahill has his faults so I was pointing out that AJ too has his faults (as does every player). If you look at what I wrote I actually said we shouldnt get rid of any of our best players (AJ, Cahill, Yobo, Lescott, Arteta).

Back onto Cahill, another thing he gives our midfield is bite. He goes in hard (ala Peter Reid). You need someone to put a bit of fear in the opposition. Cahill is up for it.

Spot on Romey-la.

One of the earlier posts mentioned that Cahill has his faults so I was pointing out that AJ too has his faults (as does every player). If you look at what I wrote I actually said we shouldnt get rid of any of our best players (AJ, Cahill, Yobo, Lescott, Arteta).

Back onto Cahill, another thing he gives our midfield is bite. He goes in hard (ala Peter Reid). You need someone to put a bit of fear in the opposition. Cahill is up for it.

Not saying we should get rid of our best players, only if monies are needed for transfer - then out of our pool of best players (i.e those who would bring in a decent wedge) Then for me Cahill is the most the disposable.

The question still stands unanswered, Maghull - If you HAD to 'sacrifice' one player who would generate more than £5-6M to a transfer fund, individual faults aside, who is the player that we could best accomadate without? Youv'e had a 'joking' answer.

As regard to 'bite' in the middle - Quality touches and cultured passes are just as important, epecially, if you have a defensive player already in your midfeild for the bite factor!!

Get real peeps, if the right offer comes along we will sell. This game of ours is no longerabout pride, passion and commitment, it is about money. We paid peanuts for Tim, anything over that is profit. Let's not delude ourselves, it is all about the bottom line.

If we get an offer of over £10m we must accept, for the simple reason we are a selling club, none of us like it, but it is a fact of life.

A little success will go a long way, but until then we must accept what we are.

ATB

Mac

Get real peeps, if the right offer comes along we will sell. This game of ours is no longerabout pride, passion and commitment, it is about money. We paid peanuts for Tim, anything over that is profit. Let's not delude ourselves, it is all about the bottom line.

If we get an offer of over £10m we must accept, for the simple reason we are a selling club, none of us like it, but it is a fact of life.

A little success will go a long way, but until then we must accept what we are.

ATB

Mac

Id bite anyones hand off for £10 million

Being a realist is all part and parcel of being an Evertonian. I don't like it, but it is the way it is.

Maybe the fact that some of the older members realise that money will save us and take us forward, is a terrible way to think, but it is still the only way I can think. I love the bones of the lad (Tim), but let's get real.

Don't talk about what it will cost to replace him, talk about what he is worth to us.

ATB

Mac

The question still stands unanswered, Maghull - If you HAD to 'sacrifice' one player who would generate more than £5-6M to a transfer fund, individual faults aside, who is the player that we could best accomadate without? Youv'e had a 'joking' answer.

Yobo - from the players mentioned as our better players, id choose to lose Joe first, prone to the odd mistake, and we would possibly get enough to replace him with similar quality

Not saying we should get rid of our best players, only if monies are needed for transfer - then out of our pool of best players (i.e those who would bring in a decent wedge) Then for me Cahill is the most the disposable.

As regard to 'bite' in the middle - Quality touches and cultured passes are just as important, epecially, if you have a defensive player already in your midfeild for the bite factor!!

FIRSTLY you say "Quality touches and cultured passes are just as important". You are right but can I just say that a mate of mine who supports Arsenal used to love Pires BUT he said he (and other continentals) used to pull out of too many challenges way too often, SO you shouldnt underestimate a bit of nastiness in the middle.

Back to your QUESTION, realistically I wouldnt sell any BUT HYPOTHETICALLY I'm going to have to say Yobo, or if you want to put Phil Neville into the equation I'd sell him.

AND before anyone says "WHAT, sell Neville/Yobo etc" Ive been forced into a corner and this is hypothetical. There.

FIRSTLY you say "Quality touches and cultured passes are just as important". You are right but can I just say that a mate of mine who supports Arsenal used to love Pires BUT he said he (and other continentals) used to pull out of too many challenges way too often, SO you shouldnt underestimate a bit of nastiness in the middle.

Back to your QUESTION, realistically I wouldnt sell any BUT HYPOTHETICALLY I'm going to have to say Yobo, or if you want to put Phil Neville into the equation I'd sell him.

AND before anyone says "WHAT, sell Neville/Yobo etc" Ive been forced into a corner and this is hypothetical. There.

So hypothetically speaking you would choose to leave a huge gap in defence to be filled by Stubbs (who lets be honest is going to fade away next season and is beeing offered a contract as cover & experience on the training pitch) rather than sacrafice one of our over crowded midfield????

i chose yobo as a selling one to buy another, i think cahill is more important to our team than yobo, we could replace yobo for what we would get for him.

theres also the fear factor with cahill, a lot of teams are aware of his threat so will be shitting it about playing him before hand, pulling a defender onto him can leave that little bit of space for AJ to cause havock

i chose yobo as a selling one to buy another, i think cahill is more important to our team than yobo, we could replace yobo for what we would get for him.

theres also the fear factor with cahill, a lot of teams are aware of his threat so will be shitting it about playing him before hand, pulling a defender onto him can leave that little bit of space for AJ to cause havock

Isnt the Ideat if you had to sell a player to make some money to dabble a little in the transfare market??

If so selling Yobo would be pointless because we would be selling a half decent defender who would cost roughly the same to replace hence giving us no money to play with!!