38 replies to this topic

#1 jartyj

jartyj

Tony Hibbert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 06:42

I have just heared the devastating news that Bally has passed away , My first hero , my first boots were the white ' bally ' boots ,

heartbroken !!!!

#2 Louis

Louis

Dixie Dean

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,611 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 07:00

It's a terrible shock. It's on Sky Sports News.

#3 Adam

Adam

Dave Hickson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 07:07

Just heard it on the radio on the way to work.

Shocking.

RIP

#4 GoldfishMemory

GoldfishMemory

Dave Hickson

• Members
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 07:08

RIP Alan :(

I'v watched Bally talk at several sportsmans dinners and his affection for the blues was as deep as any blue.

Who's the greatest of them all, little curly Alan Ball.

#5 Blue4Ever

Blue4Ever

Peter Reid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 07:36

R.I.P Alan - Quality Player and a loved Blues Legend by everyone connected with Everton.

#6 RuffRob

RuffRob

Peter Reid

• Members
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 08:47

A true Goodison Legend - RIP

#7 aaron

aaron

Everton Aren't We

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,113 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 08:47

legend :(
R.I.P sad loss to football.

#8 Bill

Bill

Alex. Top player

• Members
  • 15,505 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 09:02

I'm shocked and saddened, i couldnt believe it when i heard it was a heart attack, he had the heart of a lion.

I had the pleasure of seeing this man in action every week. covered every blade of grass on the park in every game, could play as midfielder, could play as winger, he could be a defender, and he could score goals too ( 20 goals in one season ).

Also had a bit of devilment in him, once saw him sit down on the ball during a game and invite the defender to come and take it off him, he could trap a ball with his arse, as it fell from the air towards him he would spin around and trap it as it hit the floor, always liked a bit of pisstaking because he was so good and supremely confident.

In an era when there where many great footballers, this man was one of the greatest, always loved Everton and never wanted to leave. Will be sadly missed by all who came in contact with him, A true and real Everton Legend.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and close friends, thanks for all the pleasure you gave me Alan, and Rest in Peace.

Bill.

#9 iggy

iggy

Trevor Steven

• Members
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 09:33

I'm shocked and saddened, i couldnt believe it when i heard it was a heart attack, he had the heart of a lion.

I had the pleasure of seeing this man in action every week. covered every blade of grass on the park in every game, could play as midfielder, could play as winger, he could be a defender, and he could score goals too ( 20 goals in one season ).

Also had a bit of devilment in him, once saw him sit down on the ball during a game and invite the defender to come and take it off him, he could trap a ball with his arse, as it fell from the air towards him he would spin around and trap it as it hit the floor, always liked a bit of pisstaking because he was so good and supremely confident.

In an era when there where many great footballers, this man was one of the greatest, always loved Everton and never wanted to leave. Will be sadly missed by all who came in contact with him, A true and real Everton Legend.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and close friends, thanks for all the pleasure you gave me Alan, and Rest in Peace.

Bill.

Really nothing more to say than that, he was one of my first idols, I can't believe he has gone, R.I.P. Bally

#10 Gwlad all over

Gwlad all over

Leon Osman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 10:00

He made me support the Blues, saw him play alot in our terrific team of late 60s beginning of the 70s. Had the pleasure of meeting him about 10 yrs ago. When he knew I was an Evertonian he said simply "I love that club". Says it all. Condolences to his family, RIP, Bally.

#11 TrueBlue

TrueBlue

Trevor Steven

• Members
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 10:46

Never had the pleasure of watching him play but can remember all the stories my dad told me about him. But it doesn't take a genuis to know that he was a legend at Everton and will be sorely missed by many Everton fans who have and haven't seen him play but his legend will live on in Everton.

Thoughts go out to his family and friends.

#12 johny

johny

Mikel Arteta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 11:08

Just heard about this. Very sad.

RIP

#13 toolio

toolio

Lee Carsley

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 11:22

yes very sad, r.i.p bally, weird exactly 1 year and 1 day since labby!!

#14 KillaGTiR

KillaGTiR

Super (MAC)

• Members
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 11:40

RIP true blue!

#15 Zed

Zed

Dave Hickson

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 12:04

One of the Holy Trinity

RIP

#16 thebluenose

thebluenose

ALEX:Immortal Justice Lead Guitarist and backing Vocalist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 13:09

i was so shocked this morning when i heard it on the radio. holy shit i cant believe its happened.

condolences to his family. and RIP to a legend

look after him labby.

#17 Blue 250

Blue 250

Bob Latchford

• Members
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 14:54

Alan Ball.....red hair,White boots and a BLUE heart!

Great player.....Sadly missed by this club.

RIP Alan....

#18 bignev

bignev

Daniel Amokachi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 15:05

RIP bally, I only ever seen him in action on videos/dvds, but his legend was well know to me, my dad told me tales of how he coverd every inch of grass every game week in week out. He was a part of possibly our greatest ever midfield in the 70's and will be missed.

#19 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,217 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 15:10

This was the first thing said to me by mum when I woke up this morning, I was absolutely gutted. For once a player who deserves the title of being a legend. He'll never be forgotten at his true home. R.I.P. Bally.

#20 thebluenose

thebluenose

• Members
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 15:53

people on kipper are suggesting that the players wear white boots against the mancs on saturday. i think thats a very good idea. what you guys think

#21 Zed

Zed

Dave Hickson

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 15:54

people on kipper are suggesting that the players wear white boots against the mancs on saturday. i think thats a very good idea. what you guys think

I think it must have been said with tongue firmly in cheek

#22 StevO

StevO

Blagging on the basis of knowledge

• Cyber Steward
  • 14,034 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 16:50

huge loss to football, not just everton.

the mans enthusiasm was enough to convince me of a true legend, and a true gentleman

RIP

#23 MikeO

MikeO

Scars are tattoos with better stories.

• Admin
  • 39,478 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 17:03

Another hero gone. Don't believe it...been on my mind all day. My absolute idol as a kid, I was a ten year old right winger with red hair and white boots in 1970, wanted to be Alan Ball. Can remember like it was yesterday hearing the result that gave us the championship...I hand wrote it on the list of honours on the pennant on my bedroom wall which was a shrine to Bally, pictures everywhere....ripped it all down in floods of tears when he left :) .

The world's a poorer place without him.

#24 Mac

Mac

Hang the Kopites one by one on the banks of the royal blue Mers

• Members
  • 4,308 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 17:19

As a kid when you play as a name from your club, I was always Alan Ball.

A hero to many, a good man, wonderful player and a true Evertonian, the amount of clubs this man touched is awesome.

Thanks for everything Alan, gone but never forgotten.

R.I.P.

ATB

Jon.

#25 Bernie the Bolt

Bernie the Bolt

Tim Cahill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 17:57

Where do i start? i woke up this morning to the sad news that my hero had passed away, i dont mind admitting i cried my eyes out. For the Evertonians on here, who didnt have the honour of watching this man play, i would say this, he was a superstar in the true sense of the word, he had more passion and ability in his big toe than the vast majority of todays players. This man would run himself in to the ground in every game he played, losing wasnt in his scheme of things, he also demanded every other player in the team gave the same committment as himself, and if they didnt he would let them know in no uncertain terms. He would intimidate opposing players both vocally and with the ball, nobody could ever come near him in terms of his determination to win every game. Bally had a temper, not a bad thing in my book, and he got into trouble with referees because of it, often ending in a suspension. He never ever wanted to leave this club, he was told by Harry Catterick that it 'was good business' because the club doubled their money with the offer Arsenal had put on table. It was the saddest day of my life when he went, i couldnt believe my hero was going, the best player bar none as far as i was concerned. This man is the best player i have ever seen in the blue shirt, RIP Bally, you will never ever be forgotten.

#26 aaron

aaron

Everton Aren't We

• Members
  • 8,113 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 20:21

some scum liverpool fans have already made jokes about it :angry: my mate went to tell me and i just slammed the phone down, not even gone 24hours and there already making jokes, sick cunts :angry:

#27 GoldfishMemory

GoldfishMemory

Dave Hickson

• Members
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 20:24

some scum liverpool fans have already made jokes about it :angry: my mate went to tell me and i just slammed the phone down, not even gone 24hours and there already making jokes, sick cunts :angry:

Calm down mate everyone does it, it's bad tast but nothing malicious and most of us here have been guilty of it at some time like when steve irwin died etc.

Besides Everton have banned Andy Johnson form attending the funeral in case he dives in the box :P

#28 Louis

Louis

Dixie Dean

• Admin
  • 13,611 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 20:29

I think it must have been said with tongue firmly in cheek

Personally I think it'd be a nice gesture if they painted their black boots white. I can't see it happening though.

#29 aaron

aaron

Everton Aren't We

• Members
  • 8,113 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 20:37

Calm down mate everyone does it, it's bad tast but nothing malicious and most of us here have been guilty of it at some time like when steve irwin died etc.

Besides Everton have banned Andy Johnson form attending the funeral in case he dives in the box :P

i know where your coming from mate, but the fella hasnt even been dead 24 hours.

#30 Jackelz

Jackelz

Jake da Snake

• Members
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 20:44

I dont really know much about him tbh accept he was a class player he helped us to a world cup and he was my dad's hero

R-I-P alan ball :(

#31 Dunny the Blue

Dunny the Blue

Ian "Dunny" Dunstan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 21:07

Im the same really, although I never saw hime play, it seems like you cant mention Everton without mentioning Bally. Judging by everyones reaction the guy was class act, ive herd many a story about him, RIP Bally

Edited by Dunny the Blue, 25 Apr 2007 - 21:07.

#32 thebluenose

thebluenose

• Members
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 21:35

saw on north west tonight a message to bally at the dixie dean statue

to bally i remember when i was 10 and you gave me a lift to the game coz i was walking in the rain.

what a guy.

#33 BLUEWOLF

BLUEWOLF

Lee Carsley

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 22:25

:( Mr Alan(Ball of fire)Ball. My Favourite player of all time. For me he was better than
George Best. I had the pleasure of being amongst the Everton fans on the old South Bank
at Wolverhampton Wanderers. When he tripped over the ball and got a penalty. He took
penalty and scored beating Wolves 2-1 :lol: So R.I.P. Alan my HERO.

#34 MikeO

MikeO

Scars are tattoos with better stories.

• Admin
  • 39,478 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 23:06

Stolen (unapologetically) from the BBC. Phil McNulty's article made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up....

Alan Ball's death has left Everton Football Club and their fans nursing a deep sense of grief and shock.

The loss of this vibrant man at only 61 will be felt throughout the sport, but nowhere more than at Goodison Park.

Ball had many stops in his career, but the love and affection in which he is held at Everton is nigh-on immeasurable.

Those of us fortunate to see him playing in the royal blue at his dazzling peak dismiss memories of the latter-day manager who at times struggled to repeat the successes of his playing career.

Instead we remember the man who was my first sporting idol and the idol of thousands of others - the man who is still my favourite footballer and always will be.

The man who was, beyond dispute, the finest player to represent Everton other than the legendary Dixie Dean.

And if you asked a similar question to Everton fans of a certain age, the answer would almost certainly be the same.

When I was asked to name my top 10 Everton players for a book about the club, there were some great names to conjure with, but number one took care of itself.

It was Alan Ball and nine others.

In the interests of impartiality, I named Terry Butcher as my favourite player when asked for a personal profile for this forum.

Not strictly true - but if one player is worth showing your true colours for it is Alan Ball.

And that is because he showed them for me every time he played for Everton.

The red hair, the blue shirt and the white boots. An irresistible combination and the symbol of a glorious Everton era.

To try and put Ball's status into perspective, if you imagine Wayne Rooney fulfilling all his greatness at Everton rather than seeking riches and silverware elsewhere, it is still unlikely he would eclipse the World Cup winner's popularity.

If all you ask of your team is that they leave every ounce of sweat and effort on the pitch behind them, then Ball delivered every time, every day.

But he delivered more.

Ball was inspirational, world-class, with a unique will to win, the central figure in a hugely gifted Everton team in his five-year career at Goodison Park.

He is remembered as the young, perpetual motion figure of England's 1966 World Cup side.

But he blossomed into as good a one-touch footballer as any there has ever been, a passer of vision, a 20-goal a season midfield man and a leader.

One title triumph in 1970 and a losing FA Cup final against West Bromwich Albion two years earlier does scant justice to his Everton legacy.

Ball was Everton. He was everything the club should be. Everything it should aspire to be.

Indeed, he was in at the start of a very old joke that goes: "What would you do if you caught Alan Ball in bed with your wife?"

Answer: "Tuck him in and make sure he doesn't catch a cold."

He had his flaws. A temperament so raw it led to trouble, and a tongue so sharp that it could floor team-mates who failed to live up to his standards.

But Everton fans loved him for it. And many still remember exactly where they were the day he was sold to Arsenal for 220,000 on 22 December 1971.

Christmas was cancelled that year and Everton didn't do any more real celebrating until 1984.

Ball left Goodison in tears, victim of a desperately mistaken decision by the ruthless, authoritarian boss Harry Catterick.

Catterick is the forgotten great manager of the 1960s - barely meriting a mention alongside Bill Shankly, Sir Matt Busby, Bill Nicholson and Don Revie.

This is despite building two title-winning teams at Everton.

But he is still remembered by so many Everton fans as the man who sold Alan Ball - the day the dreams died for so long for the club.

Ball never wanted to leave Everton, indeed he pleaded to stay, but Catterick reckoned on doubling his money after getting the best five years of his career.

He reckoned wrong.

Liverpool legend Shankly tracked Ball down to a restaurant on the day he left Everton.

When Ball was handed the phone by the head waiter, the Scot said: "You signed for Arsenal at 3.30 didn't you? How do I know? Because I felt like a big thorn had been pulled out of my side."

Ball played for other clubs, but he never played for them like he played for Everton.

It was his club and the fans were his people.

Every time he returned to Everton, either to attend a function or appear on the pitch, the reception was nothing short of tumultuous and he deserved every last decibel of it.

Everton and their fans have been left devastated by his death and emotions will be raw when they pay tribute against Manchester United at his Goodison Park on Saturday.

There was a chant at Everton in the 60s and 70s that started: "Who's the greatest of them all?"

There was only one answer for Everton fans of recent vintage - and there always will be.

#35 BLUEWOLF

BLUEWOLF

Lee Carsley

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 - 23:28

Yes very touching. He was Mr Everton and I was devastated when he left
to join Arsenal. Although he did his very best for them he was never the same
player that he was for Everton.

#36 Maghull70

Maghull70

Dave Watson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 26 Apr 2007 - 09:28

R.i.P. Alan Ball. Too young to have seen him myself, but the arl fella made sure I knew exactly who he was and how good he was as I was growing up. When Gordon Lee got sacked I remember Alan Ball and Howard Kendall were being talked of as successors. My Dad must have done a good job on me coz I wanted Alan Ball for EFC (although have to say in hindsight I'm glad we got Kendall).
Alan Ball will be missed by all blues, whether they had the pleasure of watching him or not. A true legend.

#37 Bernie the Bolt

Bernie the Bolt

Tim Cahill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 26 Apr 2007 - 19:09

I remember a game at Goodison, i think it was against Southampton, and Bally got the biggest ever welcome reception when lining up before the game, when his name was read out, then strangely he was very subdued for all of the first half, not like him at all......when asked about it by the press afterwards he said he was absolutely overwhelmed by the fans reaction, and just couldnt get his act together he was so taken aback. Thats the man you see, couldnt understand why we still loved him long after he left, his feet were still firmly on the ground despite all he had achieved. A lesson there for some of todays prima donnas.

#38 Pat

Pat

"Former Coca Cola Yo Yo Championship Runner Up"

• Members
  • 7,335 posts

Posted 26 Apr 2007 - 21:11

This news was taken with great sadness by my clan that spreads far around the globe.

My Arl fella is gen devastated & deeply sad, yet like everbody only has fond memories & enthusiastic plaudits for all that was Alan Ball.

We spoke via phone yesterday & all he could repeat was Arghhhh you never got to see him enough, you were too young. Followed by words of genuine affection & revery that gave a feel his generation were blessed for having had Bally touch their lives.

Damn, you no I didnt see enough of Bally, I was prob to young, but what I did see was magical, inspiring, indominatble & the very essence of what football should be about.

Rest in peace our Father, Son, Brother & Friend, You are the Blood that flows in us all - Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

#39 Foxon

Foxon

Andrei Kanchelskis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 28 Apr 2007 - 14:06

my mum went to everton matches when he played she was really sad as i am i know i am too young to seen him play but he was a everton great he will be deeply missed

R.I.P James Alan Ball

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users