• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 10 Oct 2007 - 07:05

Guide to Everton’s opponents

AE LARISSA home October 25

Coach: Georgios Donis

Colours: Dark red

LARISSA have already caused a stir in this season’s UEFA Cup by eliminating Blackburn Rovers in the first round.

They qualified for the competition following a shock 2-1 win over Panathinaikos in the final of the Greek Cup last season.

It had been an otherwise disappointing season for Larissa as they finished just one point above the relegation zone in the Greek Super League.

As recently as 2003, they were in the third tier of competition after going bankrupt. But they then secured back-to-back promotions to return to the top flight.

Skippered by former Newcastle defender Nikos Dabizas, their most well-known player to Evertonians is striker Ibrahima Bakayoko, the Ivory Coast striker brought to Goodison by Walter Smith for Ł4.5million in 1998 only to be sold the following year after scoring just four times.

Larissa, managed by former Blackburn winger Georgios Donis, are currently in mid-table, although the start of the Greek domestic league was postponed for a month due to the summer fires in the country.

1.FC NURNBERG away November 8

Coach: Hans Meyer

Colours: Red and black

NURNBERG qualified for the UEFA Cup by virtue of lifting the German Cup, which ensured a first European campaign since 1988-89 and was complemented by a sixth place finish in the Bundesliga.

Nurnberg have won the German title nine times, but have been a perennial yo-yo club during the past 40 years and share the record for having been relegated from the Bundesliga the most times.

Nurnberg’s key players include Czech midfielder Tomas Galasek, Slovakian forwards Marek Mintal and Robert Vittek, and Greece striker Angelos Charisteas, who scored his country’s winner in the Euro 2004 final against Portugal.

Nurnberg’s 46,780-capacity easyCredit-Stadion was a venue at last year’s World Cup in Germany, England’s 2-0 win over Trinidad and Tobago one of five games held at the stadium.

Hans Meyer’s side are struggling in the Bundesliga this season and currently stand next to bottom with just one win in nine games.

ZENIT ST PETERSBERG home December 5

Coach: Dick Advocaat

Colours: Blue

THERE’S a Dutch connection to another of Everton’s group opponents, Zenit St Petersberg.

The appointment of Dick Advocaat in May 2006 ushered a new cosmopolitan era at the Russian side, with the Dutchman joined by players such as compatriot Fernando Ricksen, formerly of Rangers, and Turkey star Fatih Tekke.

Slovakia, Ukraine, Argentina, Croatia, Belgium, the Czech Republic and Norway are also represented in the squad, while Advocaat has also signed Kim Dong-Jin and Lee Ho from South Korea, the country he coached at last year’s World Cup.

Zenit’s best performance in Europe to date is a quarter-final appearance in the UEFA Cup in 2005-06, when they were beaten by eventual winners Sevilla.

Squad number 12 is reserved for the Zenit’s fanatical supporters, who are referred to as the 12th man.

Zenit finished third last year to qualify for the UEFA Cup. And with the Russian league operating outside the winter months, they currently head the table with just four games of the current season remaining.

AZ ALKMAAR away December 20

Coach: Louis van Gaal

Colours: Red and white

AZ qualified for the UEFA Cup by virtue of their third-place finish in Holland last season – but they’d be forgiven for not celebrating that fact.

Ahead of the Dutch Eredivisie on goal difference before the final round of fixtures last season, AZ lost on the last day of the season and PSV Eindhoven took the title.

That disappointment was compounded when Ajax won the play-off for the second Champions League spot.

AZ, led by former Barcelona coach Louis van Gaal for the past two seasons, reached the quarter-finals of the UEFA Cup last season and the semi-finals in 2004-05.

Key players are Brazilian marksman Ari, Croatian goalkeeper Joey Didulica and highly-rated Italian striker Graziano Pelle.

However, AZ – who play at the 17,023-capacity DSB Stadion – have underwhelmed this season domestically and currently stand in mid-table

#162 Randomness

Randomness

My Last Avatar Was Cursed

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 10 Oct 2007 - 13:34

first two games are the on paper easier ones though larissa did indeed knock out blackburn, zenit st petersburg are no mugs (on or off the pitch for that matter) and alkmarr, a draw is the best we can hope for there,

#163 jamiemaher85

jamiemaher85

Those Feet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,624 posts

Posted 19 Oct 2007 - 11:12

sweet, got my tickers for Larissa game now. Looking forward to seeing Bak, the oldschool Yak, make his return to Goodison.

#164 Pat

Pat

"Former Coca Cola Yo Yo Championship Runner Up"

• Members
  • 7,335 posts

Posted 21 Oct 2007 - 23:29

Seems the Germans have found their Mojo.

Eintracht Franfurt - 1 v 5 - Fc Nurnberg ( Saturday gone)

The giant Striker I mentioned, played 1st match in over a year, impressed & scored.

#165 jamiemaher85

jamiemaher85

Those Feet

• Members
  • 5,624 posts

Posted 22 Oct 2007 - 10:50

damn. will be interesting to see how eveyone fares in our group. The Zenit v AZ game should be good, also zenit v nurenburg should be good.

#166 MikeO

MikeO

Scars are tattoos with better stories.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,429 posts

Posted 25 Oct 2007 - 21:27

Can't be bad. Top of the group after AZ drew in St Petersberg and the only British team to win. Looking good.

#167 Sickboy

Sickboy

Duncan McKenzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 29 Oct 2007 - 09:07

If we can keep cahill & arteta fit then i think we have real chance this year.

#168 MikeO

MikeO

• Admin
  • 39,429 posts

Posted 09 Nov 2007 - 19:10

Odds shortening on our chances, we're fifth favourites now (roughly tied with Fiorentina) behind Bayern, Spurs, Atletico Madrid and Villarreal (as opposed to the Carling Cup, where we're available at 15-1....rated eighth of eight <_< ).

#169 JD in DC

JD in DC

Mick Lyons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 06 Dec 2007 - 06:07

The lineup for the knockout rounds is slowly starting to shape up.

Assured of group stage advancement as of now: Everton, Panathinaikos, Atletico Madrid, Villareal, Hamburg, Basel

Assured of finishing 3rd in Champions League groups: Benfica, Sporting Lisbon, Slavia Prague

That's 9 out of 32 places booked so far, and up to six more could join them after today's round of games.

Edited by JD in DC, 06 Dec 2007 - 06:11.

#170 MikeO

MikeO

• Admin
  • 39,429 posts

Posted 06 Dec 2007 - 08:45

Amazing the difference between now and 1984/5. The first round had only thirty-two teams so we went straight in to the stage that it's now taken six games to reach....the opposition back then...

University College Dublin FC
Everton FC
Wrexham AFC
FC Porto
AŠK Inter Bratislava
FC Lahti
Ballymena United FC
Hamrun Spartans FC
Balaton FC
Larissa FC
APOEL FC
Servette FC
Wisla Kraków
ÍBV Vestmannćyjar
KAA Gent
Celtic FC
FC Dinamo Moskva
HNK Hajduk Split
FC Metz
FC Barcelona
Malmö FF
1. FC Dynamo Dresden
PFC Botev Plovdiv
US Luxembourg
SK Rapid Wien
Besiktas JK
B 1903 Křbenhavn
SC Fortuna Sittard
AS Roma
FC Steaua Bucuresti
FC Bayern München
Moss FK

Barcelona went out in the first round, won 4-2 at Metz but then lost the home leg 4-1 :o . Wrexham beat Porto on away goals :o :o . Larissa reached the last eight (I'd forgotten that).

Have to say that the last thirty-two this time around is looking a lot tougher than then :) .

#171 jamiemaher85

jamiemaher85

Those Feet

• Members
  • 5,624 posts

Posted 06 Dec 2007 - 10:26

I think we all miss the european power house of Moss FK

#172 MikeO

MikeO

• Admin
  • 39,429 posts

Posted 06 Dec 2007 - 10:34

I think we all miss the european power house of Moss FK

Probably the only club to have snowfall (LINK) on their official site :lol: .

#173 Bill

Bill

Alex. Top player

• Members
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 06 Dec 2007 - 10:40

Probably the only club to have snowfall (LINK) on their official site :lol: .

Good link Mike, cant understand any of the language but looking at the league position they are lying 5th, just wondering if their season over. ??

#174 MikeO

MikeO

• Admin
  • 39,429 posts

Posted 06 Dec 2007 - 10:58

Good link Mike, cant understand any of the language but looking at the league position they are lying 5th, just wondering if their season over. ??

Looks like it, played thirty games each....no promotion this year :( .

One nugget of info...Thomas Myhre started his career there, left for Viking at nineteen though.

#175 JD in DC

JD in DC

Mick Lyons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 06 Dec 2007 - 14:06

Amazing the difference between now and 1984/5. The first round had only thirty-two teams so we went straight in to the stage that it's now taken six games to reach....the opposition back then...

...snip...

Quite an interesting list. Some of those clubs I've never even heard of. Wonder if they still exist? Of course, Europe itself only had about 30-35 footballing countries back then (versus 50+ now). That as much as anything necessitated expanding the tournament.

#176 MikeO

MikeO

• Admin
  • 39,429 posts

Posted 06 Dec 2007 - 22:12

The UEFA Cup had twice the entry of the CWC and Euro Cup back then, so in fact over the three competitions there were 128 qualifying clubs, still a lot less than now. ManU managed the last eight before they lost to Videoton of Hungary (who eventually lost to Real Madrid in the two legged final). Notts Forest, QPR and Spurs were the other English teams.....wonder whatever happened to those three :lol: .

#177 JD in DC

JD in DC

Mick Lyons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 07 Dec 2007 - 04:47

The lineup for the knockout rounds is slowly starting to shape up.

Assured of group stage advancement as of now: Everton, Panathinaikos, Atletico Madrid, Villareal, Hamburg, Basel

Assured of finishing 3rd in Champions League groups: Benfica, Sporting Lisbon, Slavia Prague

That's 9 out of 32 places booked so far, and up to six more could join them after today's round of games.

Add to the previous list: Spartak Moscow, Zurich, Bayer Leverkusen, Tottenham, Bordeaux, and Helsingborg. That brings the total up to 15.

On the flip side, the teams officially ELIMINATED from UEFA Cup contention at this point (i.e. can't finish better than 4th in their groups) are: Larissa, Lokomotiv Moscow, Elfsborg, Toulouse, Sparta Prague, Red Star Belgrade, AaB, and Austria Vienna. Thanks for playing guys, and be sure to pick up your nice parting gifts on the way home.

#178 Pat

Pat

"Former Coca Cola Yo Yo Championship Runner Up"

• Members
  • 7,335 posts

Posted 07 Dec 2007 - 06:26

Here's a few I found from list i.e europes new football landscape since etc:

Videoton are now FC Fehérvár (P.s they lost that final 3-0 @ Real Madrid but got up 1-0 @ home) Mike-> (anyone) would that have been the Real madrid of the amazing one " Ugo I'm on fire Sanchez " ? ( he was damn good)

The Videoton bit was due to being backed by a local electronics manufacturer of the same moniker.

AŠK Inter Bratislava are nowFK Inter Bratislava

ÍBV Vestmannćyjar no info on but it is a small icelandic island town of 4027 people that has active volcano's & was once home to the whale out of free willy..!!!

HNK Hajduk Split seem to have dropped the HNK

There are a cple of sides whom seem to Not or have never existed.

Trivial, I know-> I was bored :)

#179 CraccerC

CraccerC

Simăo Sabrosa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 07 Dec 2007 - 10:21

Add to the previous list: Spartak Moscow, Zurich, Bayer Leverkusen, Tottenham, Bordeaux, and Helsingborg. That brings the total up to 15.

On the flip side, the teams officially ELIMINATED from UEFA Cup contention at this point (i.e. can't finish better than 4th in their groups) are: Larissa, Lokomotiv Moscow, Elfsborg, Toulouse, Sparta Prague, Red Star Belgrade, AaB, and Austria Vienna. Thanks for playing guys, and be sure to pick up your nice parting gifts on the way home.

some good sides there that have gone out, good competition this year

#180 JD in DC

JD in DC

Mick Lyons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 07 Dec 2007 - 19:55

ÍBV Vestmannćyjar no info on but it is a small icelandic island town of 4027 people that has active volcano's & was once home to the whale out of free willy..!!!

There are a cple of sides whom seem to Not or have never existed.

IBV is currently playing in Iceland's second tier, the 1. deild karla (first division). Iceland is actually expanding its Premier League from 10 teams to 12 next season, so they're promoting three teams and only dropping one, but IBV as luck would have it finished fourth this year. :(

Here's some stuff I found on a few others.

1. FC Dynamo Dresden now plays as SG Dynamo Dresden. They are currently in the Regionalliga Nord (Northern Regional League), which is on the third tier of German football.

US Luxembourg no longer exists - they merged in 2005 with two other teams (CA Spora Luxembourg and CS Alliance 01) to form the squad that is now Racing FC Union Luxembourg, more commonly just Racing FC.

B 1903 doesn't exist anymore either - they merged with another club in 1992 to form the team that is currently sitting third in Group B, FC Copenhagen.

#181 MikeO

MikeO

• Admin
  • 39,429 posts

Posted 19 Dec 2007 - 21:44

First potential opponents for the last 32 (draw Friday at 12.00) after groups E to H completed tonight are...

Zurich
Galatasaray
Anderlecht

Bolton finished third in Group F but pretty certain the rules say we can't play them at this stage.

Edited by MikeO, 19 Dec 2007 - 21:45.

#182 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,175 posts

Posted 20 Dec 2007 - 10:47

I'd rather we got Zurich out of them probably

#183 Mac

Mac

Hang the Kopites one by one on the banks of the royal blue Mers

• Members
  • 4,308 posts

Posted 20 Dec 2007 - 10:51

I see why you said that Mark, but at the moment I feel we can take anybody on with a better than average chance of doing them. The way moral is at the moment it would be a great chance to beat anyone. Great days my Blue friends, great days indeed.

ATB

Mac

#184 MikeO

MikeO

• Admin
  • 39,429 posts

Posted 20 Dec 2007 - 11:45

Galatasaray is always a dodgy place to go, but they were extremely luck to qualify....0-0 home draw against Austria Vienna last night and only Bordeaux coming from 2-0 down to beat Panionios put them through on goal difference with four points.

Aberdeen is another interesting possibility, if they beat Copenhagen tonight :) .

#185 MikeO

MikeO

• Admin
  • 39,429 posts

Posted 20 Dec 2007 - 21:43

First potential opponents for the last 32 (draw Friday at 12.00) after groups E to H completed tonight are...

Zurich
Galatasaray
Anderlecht

Add...

Aberdeen
SK Brann
AEK Athens

#186 jofanon

jofanon

Kevin Sheedy

• Members
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 20 Dec 2007 - 21:57

How far can we go?

Can we really win it with Bayern Munich, Villareal, Marseille etc in it?

#187 Calico

Calico

Mick Lyons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 20 Dec 2007 - 23:41

Not sure if this Bayern team know each other well enough, and yes they have a season to do so, but there is also still the "Team Hollywood" atmosphere that seems to be there so I'm not sure they'd fancy it against our lads when we're up for it.

Villareal... They could lose sight of this competition and concentrate on the league, plus their better players can be injury-prone over a season.

Marseille... Not sure they have the quality to match our lads when we're having a good day.

Saying all that, and despite the fact that we have put ourselves in an excellent position, it is still a knock-out competition either way so luck will be a major factor.

#188 JD in DC

JD in DC

Mick Lyons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 20 Dec 2007 - 23:57

How far can we go?

Can we really win it with Bayern Munich, Villareal, Marseille etc in it?

Course we can. Friggin' Bolton played Bayern Munich to a draw in Munich, so why should we be scared of them? Villareal is losing Riquelme in January and we're a much better team than the last time we played them. Marseille is sitting in 14th place in the French League. I respect all of our potential remaining opponents, because they're all good enough to dump us out if we don't play well, but I don't fear any of them, simply because I believe in this team and what they're capable of.

#189 Zed

Zed

Dave Hickson

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 21 Dec 2007 - 07:30

Out of the list, the only one I wouldnt fancy is Galatasary, only becasue its a horrible place to go, dont think their team is up to much atm

Of course we can win it, but it will take a bit of luck and we have a long long way to go yet, but why not!!!

You mention Villareal and Marseille, come on we ve got to fancy our chances against them. But it could be the team you leaast expect who give you a game (REMEMBER METALIST) they were better than anything we faced in this group

As always REALISTIC BUT OPTOMISTIC

Lets not get all carried away though and concentrate on the next game

#190 jacko1990

jacko1990

Trevor Steven

• Members
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 21 Dec 2007 - 09:53

Out of the list, the only one I wouldnt fancy is Galatasary, only becasue its a horrible place to go, dont think their team is up to much atm

Of course we can win it, but it will take a bit of luck and we have a long long way to go yet, but why not!!!

You mention Villareal and Marseille, come on we ve got to fancy our chances against them. But it could be the team you leaast expect who give you a game (REMEMBER METALIST) they were better than anything we faced in this group

As always REALISTIC BUT OPTOMISTIC

Lets not get all carried away though and concentrate on the next game

I like that Sentance.

Munich have decent players but Without Ribery they are nothing. And that will be the hard bit, Lescott will have to be top of his game to keep him from getting the box.

not to fussed who we get, i think we will beat any1 we face, When is the Draws?

#191 Bill

Bill

Alex. Top player

• Members
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 21 Dec 2007 - 10:06

12 0clock for us, 11 oclock for the other fookers :D

#192 jacko1990

jacko1990

Trevor Steven

• Members
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 21 Dec 2007 - 12:14

Sk Brann Vs Everton

Will post full draw in a min

Edited by jacko1990, 21 Dec 2007 - 12:20.

#193 CraccerC

CraccerC

Simăo Sabrosa

• Members
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 21 Dec 2007 - 12:16

good result that

#194 Belfast Toffee

Belfast Toffee

Tony Hibbert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 Dec 2007 - 12:20

good draw if you ask me, best we could have hoped for.

my local club glentoran, who i watch every week home and away, drew sk brann in 2006 uefa cup qualifying rounds, and we ran them close, only going down 0-2 on aggregate, bear in mind they a full time team in full flight of their season and we were part-timers just starting pre-season, and throughout my years watching the glens, they were one of the worst european teams i have seen at the oval.

stadium in bergen was decent, bergen and norway as a whole is very expensive.

#195 Bill

Bill

Alex. Top player

• Members
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 21 Dec 2007 - 12:26

good draw if you ask me, best we could have hoped for.

my local club glentoran, who i watch every week home and away, drew sk brann in 2006 uefa cup qualifying rounds, and we ran them close, only going down 0-2 on aggregate, bear in mind they a full time team in full flight of their season and we were part-timers just starting pre-season, and throughout my years watching the glens, they were one of the worst european teams i have seen at the oval.

stadium in bergen was decent, bergen and norway as a whole is very expensive.

Brann Stadium capacity 17.000. :huh:

#196 jacko1990

jacko1990

Trevor Steven

• Members
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 21 Dec 2007 - 12:26

Here's the Knockout draw.

Unlucky Bolton.

Edited by jacko1990, 09 Jan 2008 - 14:28.

#197 CraccerC

CraccerC

Simăo Sabrosa

• Members
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 21 Dec 2007 - 12:27

Rosenborg/Fiorentina v Brann/Everton.

#198 Belfast Toffee

Belfast Toffee

Tony Hibbert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 Dec 2007 - 12:28

if we beat sk brann, could be another trip to norway to face rosenberg or maybe a trip yo tuscany to take on fiorentina.

#199 Belfast Toffee

Belfast Toffee

Tony Hibbert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 Dec 2007 - 12:29

Brann Stadium capacity 17.000. :huh:

i suppose when you compare to the premier league, but it seemed big to us at the time.

#200 Bill

Bill

Alex. Top player

• Members
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 21 Dec 2007 - 12:31

OOOH, Zenit vs Villareal and Nurmberg Vs Benfica, Glad we won the group.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users