IGNORED

Everton 4 - 0 Ventura County Fusion

STEVEN PIENAAR today set his sights on winning an extended stay on Merseyside after Everton helped fulfil a long-standing ambition.

The South African international officially became a member of Everton’s first team squad yesterday after his work permit application was approved and wasted little time in drawing attention to his talents.

Having seen his loan move from Borussia Dortmund rubber- stamped in the morning, Pienaar got on the scoresheet as Everton beat Ventura County Fusion 4-0 in a behind- closed-doors friendly in at Home Depot Center.Though it was only a glorified training session, Pienaar showed enough to suggest he will add something to Everton’s squad next season and the former Ajax flyer hopes to convince Moyes in the next 12 months to make the arrangement permanent.

“I’m looking forward to it because the Premier League is a much bigger competition than in Germany or Holland,” said Pienaar.

“I will have to give my best for the team and fight for my place.

“At this moment, that is my goal. I want to get into the starting eleven.

“Coming into a club that had such a good time last season is going to be very difficult for me in terms of getting a starting place.

“But every player must fight to get into the team and I am certainly up for the challenge.

“Then, hopefully, if I can do well there is a chance for the transfer to be made permanent.

“That would be perfect if that happens but first I must fight and show that I am capable of playing in the Premier League.

“I had a couple of other options. Manchester City were keen, even before I went to Dortmund, but I thought personally that it was bit too soon to move over here.

“I’d had a difficult year with a lot of injuries. Now I feel I am ready.”

What the elfin Pienaar lacks in stature, he more than makes up for in determination and ability and has built up an excellent reputation – he was runner-up to Arjen Robben in the 2003 Dutch Young Player of the Year award – thanks to the consistency of his displays.

Last season, however, was difficult for him in Die Bundesliga as Dortmund struggled and he believes a change of scenery will help him recapture his sparkle.

And now he wants to repay the faith Moyes has bestowed in him.

“Spending a season in Germany was good preparation, as the league was tougher than it had been in Holland,” said Pienaar.

“I got regular football from the start and played the first eight games for Dortmund. Then things were difficult.

“But this is a fresh start for me. You don’t just want to come here to be a number.

“I’ll be fighting for my place and giving my best for the team and for the supporters. They are the people who really matter.

“They pay their money for tickets and they want to enjoy it.”

Leon Osman, Joleon Lescott and James Beattie were the other men on the scoresheet as Everton – who are in the hunt to sign Wigan Athletic’s Leighton Baines – barely had to get out of second gear to win in a canter.

Osman, in particular, caught the eye.