IGNORED

Why Can't We Win The League?

Yobo has said it's possible and although DM says he doesn't set targets I bet he tells the players they are capable of it. So after two games for most clubs no one is looking unbeatable. Chelsea have had two wins but not convincing Man U are lookng average at best. Liverpool were lucky at villa. I have to say having watched Man City at west ham last saturday they look a very capable outfit and could score alot of goals. I feel this season alot of teams are capable of going on a run and we are onje of them.

I think our first team back four as a unit could be second only to chelsea. I think we have the top playmaker in the league in arteta with some very good other players to support him. I think AJ is not far off worldclass and if we can bring in someone around the same value we would look alright upfront. I actually think between them JV and VA are capable of getting 15 prem goals this season. So if we get lucky with injuries and are able to field in and around our first team for most of the season why not.

Of course we can win the league!......So at the start of the season can anyone!

Reasons why we probably wont win the league:

1.Small squad,already without Cahill and Vaughan....What if we lost Arteta and Lescott?

2.Playing in Europe will stretch us a bit with injuries and amount of games!

3.Other teams are able to cope with the above better than us!

BUT....we have probably got a better squad than the one that finished 4th...AND if

we have luck with injuries and sign a couple of other players,we could be there again.

Probably best think about 4th and above after about 10 games.Then if we are in the top

4 with a full squad available.....start thinking big.

The Manchester City forums will be full of people just like us!

Bobby J if your ever feeling down by about half way into the season come back an read this an the fact at how stupid it sounds will cheer you up :)

we have played 2 games and are of to a good start lets just take it one game at a time.

finishing in 6th place again would be a fantastic thing never mind champions league or league there right up there

A run in europe an finishing back in europe would be like winning the league imo, in terms of setting realistic targets for the set of players we have.

i was looking at the betting oods before the start of the season and we was 250/1 looking at them now they have droped to 100/1

i cant see us winning due to the Small squad we have.. if we got injuries to key players u would say that would be it for us if we have some luck with that i think he could be pushing for a place between 7.4 placers

Thanks for your kind words guys but there are no drugs involved with this thread. All I am saying is with a strong defence and 1 amazing playmaker I think we can go far. we talk about stregth in depth but if Man U lost ronaldo (They just have) RS lost stevie G (they just have) then they would definatly effect the perfromance of the team. I understand it's unlikely on paper but if you put our first team out everyweek they would rival most teams.

Hey Bobbyj,nothing wrong with conviction and hope in your team,it's what fills football

stadiums up and down the country every saturday.

Like you've said if other teams suffer loss of form and lose playmakers,then the

unexpected can happen!

Tell you what,if Everton go to Reading and get a good win,which lets be honest isn't

really that hard to believe.By doing so going one better than Man utd and perhaps

even Chelsea(I did say a good win)...then a few more people will start to think this

could be a very good season.

But if we lose!..which is possible.What then,already top 6 will look good again.

Never underestimate confidence and what it does to a player and a team....think you

can do it,and you probably can.....think you can't do it and you probably wont!

I'm not saying win the league.......I'm saying win the next match.Isn't that what happened

the season we came 4th,it just seemed to roll on and on.

Enjoy the moment!

what we can do is after every game, get on TT and discus what we can do next. at the moment, yes, we can win the league, we can also get relegated. after each and every game we will go up and down in confidence accordingly.

but a little realistic optimism here; we have won our first two games, we have a very winable game coming up. so if after this weekend we have 9 points from 9, then bring in another exciting playmaker, our confidence will go through the roof. then if we manage to beat blackburn, again realistic, and get 12 out of 12, then i'm sure we will hear all the pundits coming out with "i really think everton can break the big four"

basically becasue we will have to play 38 games and not 2 over a whole season.

The best moment of last season had to be Fernandez scoring to take us 2-0 up against Man U. What did Man U do - Basically, took us apart at will for the rest of the game. That's an example of level we need to be at to even be challenging for the title - that's why we can't win the league.

But lests not get to down hearted as this applied to 15 other teams in the Premiership.

basically becasue we will have to play 38 games and not 2 over a whole season.

The best moment of last season had to be Fernandez scoring to take us 2-0 up against Man U. What did Man U do - Basically, took us apart at will for the rest of the game. That's an example of level we need to be at to even be challenging for the title - that's why we can't win the league.

But lests not get to down hearted as this applied to 15 other teams in the Premiership.

Agreed on all points, except I would amend that to say we'll have to play closer to 50 games (including the three cup competitions), and that's another reason why we're not going to win the league. The "never say die" attitude can be learned - but the squad depth that those teams have (and can afford to have) is an almost insurmountable advantage over a nine-month season.

We can win the league, it's just not very likely. Let's just enjoy setting the pace while we can lads, you never know it could go on for a good while longer yet.

As above we wont win, but we need every bit of luck to go our way with injuries goes and so on, when we finished forth lots went for us

And the longer we stay up there the more confidence and self belief and you go on a roll and it perpetuates itself (and all that)

This is what happened when we were forth, we had the "know-ones going to beat us attitue" then when we had done it, we had a big sigh of relief and arsenal twatted us

I think every1 is goin abit ova the top at the end ov the day are squad just isent big enough to win the prem neither is it experianced IMO.

This year top 6 should be our target but i dont see why not in 2 - 3 years after sum top class signings why we cant start 2 challange for the title

But as we stand we have sum top class players but not really enough for europe and the prem

I would be ova the moon if the blues could prove me wrong although i cant quite see it happening <_<

coyb!

Interesting thread. I think years of underachieving have left most Blues content with the club being back on the rise. On paper, and staistacally, I don't tink we will win the league this year, but we won't be far off, probably 4th. The way the league has started and some of the players that have been inured, Rooney, Ronaldo, Gerrard, a number of the serious title contenders are having a nervy start. Look at Tottenham, only a few weeks ago they were being tipped as surprise outsiders and to do very well this year, now Jol looks like he may be lucky if he's there next week. The season we won our last FA cup, I was in the pub on the day of the 3rd round and said Everton would win that year, I just had a good feeling about the team. I was laughed at of course, especially by the bookie when i put a £10 10-1 bet on. We all know what happened and I was very smug picking up my winnings. The league is obviously a different kettle of fish. However, as unlikey, although possible, that we will win the league this season, I do believe Everton will take their rightful place by the end of the 10-11 season. It's long overdue and I think the balance of power is now starting to shift.