IGNORED

Was Beattie The Worst No.9 In E.f.c History

Give him a break, he may have been crap 90% of the time, but i seem to remember him pushing for a world cup place not to long ago after a great streak for us. Plus at least he never once bitched or moaned about not playing.

Just because Moyes said Beattie would do a good job for England and Beattie himself said he was doing all he can to get into the England team at the time doesnt mean he was EVER going to make it. There were others way above Beattie in the pecking order.

Full marks for his attitude though.

FFS leave him alone, its people like you who done his confidence no good.

Beattie was his own worst enemy. He never had the talent, was far too slow, and i questioned his commitment on numerous occasions. Still i wouldnt begrudge wishng the lad well, we payed the over odds for him, not his fault.

BT scored a cracking header for Sheff U yesterday. Just highlights how it was a lot to do with our game why he didnt perform well here. He is not a target man, he thrives on crosses.

nearly all our goals come from crosses! Arteta's set-pieces and crosses in general, Cahill seems to score a fair few headers, Osman the odd one, even Arteta - yet Beattie couldn't seem to buy a goal. He had a couple of months were he looked quite decent, but he was an absolutely massive flop. To be honest, the fact he didn't bitch or moan I'm not entirely convinced is a good thing - he was below two youngsters in the pecking order and he never even bat an eyelid, doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that he was all fired up to play well for us. He looked out of shape ever since he signed. I have nothing against Beattie and when we signed him I thought it was a good move, but he was a waste of space last season - I'd rather play my dad up front than Beattie last year, at least he would have given it his best shot. I'm pleased he came out with good words about the club and I wish him the best, but he was a bona fide turkey.

No way was Beattie the worst.

Back in the 70s we signed a player from Walsall called Bernie Wright. He played about ten times, scored twice, had about four fights and got sent off twice. Should have been a BOXER cos he sure as fook wasnt a footballer, and he was soon packed off back to Walsall.

Edit..... have just googled him and come up with this piece.................

Bernie Wright, nicknamed Bernie The Bolt, was a professional English football player. He signed for Everton in 1972 from Walsall but only played 10 times for the club before having his contract terminated for 'serious misconduct'.

It is rumoured that this 'misconduct' occurred when he discovered he'd been dropped and he chased the club manager around the training ground.

Now he was much worse than Beattie. :D :D :D

that was the funniest thing i read all night ,thanks for that

Knew a lad Alan Wilson in the 70s played for the Blues (one game for the first team I think) Told us Bernie arrived for training one morning pissed wearing a ripped pullover,black eye carrying a half empty bottle of Ossy Whites.He certainly seemed a colourful character.Anybody know what happened to him after his return to Walsall? Would love to see him doing a guest spot on Sky Sports on Sat sitting next to Charlie Nicholas.

Anybody know what happened to him after his return to Walsall?

This is as much as i can find out....

Bernie Wright, possibly the worst player ever to pull on the blue shirt - How many games did he play & what happened to him after he (thankfully) left us?

Bernie Wright, nicknamed Bernie The Bolt signed for Everton in Feb 1972 from Walsall. He made his début against them across the park, but only played 10 times scoring 2 goals for the club before having his contract terminated for 'serious misconduct'. It is rumoured that this 'misconduct' occurred when he discovered he'd been dropped and chased the club manager around the training ground. He was also known to like a pint and a fight. :P

He returned to Walsall in 1973 where he became a favourite with the fans, scoring 48 goals in 196 matches before moving on to Port Vale in 1978. He also played for two years at Kidderminster Harriers during the early eighties.