IGNORED

Midfield Left And Right

does anyone else think we need a midfield right, reason I'm saying this is because arteta always seems to go wondering inside to his natural place center mid, if we had a midfield right hibbert would have someone in front of him to help as hes always been double up on and making him look bad. not that I'm blaming arteta hes just playing his natural game but if we had a right mid and moved arteta inside i think we would benefit from him there

what is everyone else's few on this

Arteta in the middle would not play to his strengths IMO. He would need to work harder on defending if he was played in the centre, I know he does track back when he plays on the wing but in the centre he wouldnt have as much freedom as he gets on the wing. Plus where does Cahill go? Because a defensive mid would be even more important if Spuddy was in the centre. I know Hibbert doesnt get as much support as he perhaps should, but whats wrong with just passing the ball to one of the central defenders? It's not exactly a difficult thing to do. Or even play the ball infield instead of down the wing. Baines manages it fine so why shouldn't the more experienced Hibbert be able to do it?

no to arteta in midfield, he gets roughed up a bit much, he does the damage out-wide... i would prefer a right winger, but one that could switch with arteta

Pienaar and The Art switched wings a lot v Boro and that seemed to confuse them.

How about doing the simple thing and move Neville from midfield and put him right back. 2 birds 1 stone.

personally I would let Arteta play where he wants to be honest - as long as the other player slot in as required. He is the dog's to be honest and can cause trouble left, right and centre.

Yes, he can drift in a little - But Hibbert has to make sure he is up to the task of bombing up and down the right wing. As long as the holding midfeilder/s has/have one eye on where and when they need to cover the full back it shouldn't be to much of a problem. Especially, with Jags and Neville in the middle of the park, natural cover for right back.

As long as our team in cabable of play 'around' Arteta - then it shouldn't be a problem - until Arteta is injured that is!!!!!

does anyone else think we need a midfield right, reason I'm saying this is because arteta always seems to go wondering inside to his natural place center mid, if we had a midfield right hibbert would have someone in front of him to help as hes always been double up on and making him look bad. not that I'm blaming arteta hes just playing his natural game but if we had a right mid and moved arteta inside i think we would benefit from him there

what is everyone else's few on this

I can understand he should be there infront of Hibbert to give him support and ask for the ball, something he doesnt really do much. Arteta is better on the wing! one of his best attributes is crossing thats why he's on the wing. We actually have a class winger who can cross and run at fullbacks, why move him in the middle?

Out wide he's our best player why change him?

I didnt know they played at Ajax together, thats rather intrigued my Louis. Sounds good to me though, its all up to VDM though, wether he can FINALLY live up to potentiel!! I supose when Timmy comes bak he would just slot in an almost Forward type role?? Take out one of the front men. Infact Id rather have Mc Fadden dropin off playin in that role, think he cud do an excelent job for us, perhaps like a missin link between midfield n upfront???

Edited by Dunny the Blue

When at Ajax. Van Der Meyde was on the left wing and Pienaar was usually was the support man with someone on the other wing (Victor Sikora - I think). They also played with Van Der Vaart who I wouldn't say no to... that's signing for Everton - not anything else!

if he can do so much with limited space, what could he do with a full pitch to play with?

i think people forget he was brought here to play in the middle anyway

I dont, just thinks he's better on the wing where he's less likely to give countless fouls away because defending isnt his best thing.

When at Ajax. Van Der Meyde was on the left wing and Pienaar was usually was the support man with someone on the other wing (Victor Sikora - I think). They also played with Van Der Vaart who I wouldn't say no to... that's signing for Everton - not anything else!

:lol: :lol:

I wouldnt say no either, for the club people, for the club!!!

arteta to stay on wing, he gets overrun when he goes infield, and besides he isn't a defence splitting passing kind of player

as for the confusing switching wings, it worked fairly well with arteta and osman, pienaar just isn't used to it...but it's a good way to keep defenders guessing, and arteta is comfortable on either side

Edited by CraccerC

i might get strung up for this, but would anybody be tempted to throw VDM a life line on thursday? give him from the start. "go out there and show what your made of andy! and we'll see if your still employed in a couple of hours time!"

VDM :o Have you always had Suicidal tendencies then Steve. Moyes Put Carsley on in the 90th minute rather than give VDM a run.

I've said it before, VdM WILL ONLY GET A GAME WHEN WE ARE DOWN TO A 10 MAN SQUAD. and rightly so. :)

I am with you licker - No way should VDM start him on Thursday - He has not done a single thing since his time with us that points to him getting a starting place in what is argubley our biggest single game since the away leg to Villareal 2 years ago.

Now if he is on the bench and we still need a goal in the last 10-15mins, then it may be all attacking players to the pumps - so to say. So nothing to lose by putting VDM on the pitch and that 15mins could make him a hero and possibley kick start his career. But, I would only give him 15mins if we are in the sh!t as thats about all 'second chance' he deserves to be honest.

Hope it doesn't come to us looking to bring VDM of the bench on Thursday (or any other) night to be honest!!!

i think hibbert was better on sunday, possibly because arteta was back to help him - he could simply pass to arteta knowing that something would get done, that there was someone there who was alert and skillful. fullbacks can be made to look poor or good depending on what the winger on their side is like, and vice versa.

I dont think Arteta is a defense splitter either tbh, the goal came from arteta coming in from the wing and putting the ball across the box, isnt that what wingers should do? If he was playing in the middle it might not have happend. Dont get me wrong that pass was fucking class! but I just dont think he would be as effective in the middle.

Edited by Blue4Ever

Can understand people thinking that VDM will never make it at the club but I really can't understand why anyone would hope that he doesn't. Why?

I didn't say I hope he doesn't make it at the club, I said I hope it doesn't come to us needing to bring him from the bench on Thurday night - As that is likley to mean that we are probabley in a position that means we are going out of the comp with 10-15mins to go.

If he does have to come off the bench with 10-15min left as a last gasp effort to get throguh- then I do hope he does make it at the club and becomes an overnight hero!!!! :P

The question in the thread was whether we need another midfielder for the right to play in front of Hibbert. I think not. Hibbert is a very defensive player and has never looked too comfortable going forward, although when he is on song he can do a good job. I think that Hibbert is having a 'mare at the moment nad could do with fighting for his place. I would move Neville to right back, as he has the best of both and at least links effectively with the runners, when he doesn't hit and and hope that is.

Team for Thursday, I would like to see:

Howard

Neville Stubbs Lescott Baines

Arteta Jagielka Gravesen (If Fit) Pienaar

McFadden Yakubu

Subs: AJ, Hibbert, Yobo, VDM, Anichebe, Osman, Wessels