IGNORED

Rhys Jones Memorial Trophy

Louis

After hearing the news of the tragic and senseless murder of 11 year old Evertonian Rhys Jones, we at ToffeeTalk decided that as an Everton community we have a responsibility to pay tribute to the young boy. In late August we asked people how we could commemorate his life in a unique and tasteful manner.

The most popular suggestion that we received was to donate a trophy to the league that Rhys' team participated in and allow the teams to take part in a tournament where they could win the trophy.

We have been very busy behind the scenes of late to see whether our gesture would be achievable. We have contacted the relevant associations and received nothing short of a positive response; both Liverpool County Football Association and Tuebrook Junior Sports League have all stated their approval.

"As a county we symphasise the family's loss and approve of a Trophy being named in his honour." - David Pugh, Liverpool County Football Association

"The League Committee have said that they will gratefully accept your offer." - Joe Butler, Tuebrook Junior Sports League

Rhys' family also approve of the memorial trophy.

Tuebrook Junior Sports League has confirmed that the trophy will be used in May 2008 for one of two competitions, the trophy will be given to either the Cup Final Winners or the Knockout Cup Winners.

If you would like to make a donation to the cause, it is not too late. If you would like to make a donation then please send any amount using www.paypal.com to gt4dd102@hotmail.com. Any amount you can afford would be greatly appreciated, we understand everybody has differing levels of expendable income and please do not feel bad if you cannot afford to.

This collection is on behalf of all members here at ToffeeTalk in memory of a fellow blue whose life was tragically cut short by mindless violence.

I would also like to thank Mike and Liam for all their hard work and making this possible.

Louis

www.toffeetalk.com

Why would we get Everton involved?????

This is a collection on behalf of ToffeeTalk.com us and theres been alot of hard work put in behind the scenes so we could put a lasting memorial for little Rhys in place instead of the usual flowers or shirt etc.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far and the collection is still open should anyone else want to contribute.

On behalf of all the ToffeeTalk team thank you all for your generosity so far :thumbsup_still:

Liam

• 2 months later...

We have now had confirmation of the date of the final. It will be played on Sunday 4th May at noon. The venue will be the Dockers Club, Townsend Lane, Anfield, Liverpool 6.

It was announced earlier this week that another competition in honour of Rhys is to take place The Rhys Jones Memorial Cup, organised by Rhys' father is also taking place in May.

I just wanted to state that these are seperate competitions to avoid any confusion.

• 2 months later...

There were tears, tantrums and obscenities but that was just the parents on the touchline! ;)

There was a one minutes applause prior to the game.

A team called Millers won the trophy (playing blue), beating Simon Mckie Transport (yellow and red!) 2-1 in the final. Liverpool Echo were there and they took several photos of the game and the presentation (I asked the photographer if he could email me a photo, if I recieve it, I'll post it on here). Rhys' father presented the winners' trophy and runners up shield.

There's a report on the game here http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/junio...00252-20868068/.

No photos on there unfortunately and no mention of the fact that we donated the cup and the runners-up shield, but for those that donated and anyone who's interested these are the trophies we gave them...

tropy1.jpgtrophy2.jpg

Many thanks to everyone who gave us some money or made a contribution to the initial decision making process. We collected £200 in all.

No wider recognition but I think we can be very proud of ourselves.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone at toffeetalk

My name is john and along with Ste we are the manager and coach of SMT who played Millers in the cup final of the Rhys Jones Memorial Trophy. I just wanted to thank you for donting the cup and the shield for the kids to play for.

I was very surprised toffee talk did not get a mention in the echo, but you were congratulated on the day of the final by the Tuebrook league committe.

I want to thank you on behalf of the kids, their parents and the coaching staff at SMTJFC for the cup and shield and i will make sure the Rhys Jones Memorial Cup is the cup for every team to go for in the coming years.

Once again thanks guys and girls your efforts are appreciated by me and my lads at SMT.

(by the way ignore the toffee lady bit !! i'm new on this and dont know how to gt rid of it!!)

There's a report on the game here http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/junio...00252-20868068/.

No photos on there unfortunately and no mention of the fact that we donated the cup and the runners-up shield, but for those that donated and anyone who's interested these are the trophies we gave them...

tropy1.jpgtrophy2.jpg

Many thanks to everyone who gave us some money or made a contribution to the initial decision making process. We collected £200 in all.

No wider recognition but I think we can be very proud of ourselves.

Edited by armo

• 3 months later...

I'm only new round here but I must say well done to all of you who contributed to that trophy, a remarkable tribute when more affluent sites did far less. You lot are really TRUE BLUES and I'm pleased to be associated with you.

The death of Rhys still brings a lump to my throat as does sight of his parents who's grieving will continue long after those dreadful events are forgotten by the majority. Rest in peace youngman, you are now part of our clubs history and we all hold you and your family close to our hearts

• 3 months later...

This is real late I know but who actually played in that Rhys Memorial? Just teams from Liverpool? Because I play for Garswood, who arn't from Liverpool but whenever we get a cup match we are put in the draw with teams from Wigan, Manchester and Liverpool so I was wondering why we never heard anything about it. Just a quick question to find out who actually played and what people had to do to enter...will there be one in 2009?

Just a quick question to find out who actually played and what people had to do to enter...will there be one in 2009?

It was given to the Tuebrook Junior Sports League, which were the league that Rhys' team played in, and they used it as a new trophy for their existing knock-out cup for their Under 12's.

As far as I know it'll carry on being played for every year, I'm sure it will be.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Im also those, who wil get their eyes wet everytime, readin about Rhys and hes destiny. This whole memorial trophy is anyway so good thing that anything like this wouldnt never ever happen in Finland. Ppl would just talk about it a week and then others than family would forget about it. BUt this cup hopefully will run forever, and people in Liverpool and Britain and whole world should never forget cruelty of these kind of things.