49 replies to this topic

#41 carlmc25

carlmc25

Trevor Steven

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 28 Nov 2007 - 13:21

Pienaar wasn't a flop. They way the two of you are looking at it is backwards. If you're just gonna look at the goal statistics then you could call a lot of Dortmund's players flops.

we're not just looking at it from a goals point of view, that was just added ammunition. I'm looking at it as he's only played 25 games for them and they're now loaning him out with a view to selling him pretty cheap, that's surely the sign of a flop in anyone's books?

#42 Everton_Worshiper

Everton_Worshiper

David Moyes

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 28 Nov 2007 - 13:44

Nope, its a sign a player doesn't fit into a particular teams plans.

#43 carlmc25

carlmc25

Trevor Steven

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 28 Nov 2007 - 14:05

Nope, its a sign a player doesn't fit into a particular teams plans.

which is the same thing, especially after only a year and a half.

#44 MikeO

MikeO

Scars are tattoos with better stories.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,424 posts

Posted 28 Nov 2007 - 14:21

So you buy an international player to replace Tomáš Rosický and he does well for you....doesn't flop at all, turns out to be the player you expected.

"I know," thinks Doll "I'll loan him out and then sell him, that's a good idea!"

Makes a lot of sense. Also (from AFP)...

"Slowly but surely, South African midfielder Steven Pienaar is recapturing the form that made him one of the most sought-after players in Europe in his early twenties.

The 25-year-old shone brightly in the Ajax side which won the domestic title in 2004, and reached the second round of the UEFA Champions League in 2005/06.

But he failed to show his true talent during a mixed 2006/07 season with German club Borussia Dortmund."

And my apologies for being backward <_< .

Edited by MikeO, 28 Nov 2007 - 14:22.

#45 Bill

Bill

Alex. Top player

• Members
  • 15,492 posts

Posted 28 Nov 2007 - 14:35

""So you buy an international player to replace Tomáš Rosický""

Sorry Mike but they got him on a free, and its not surprising he struggled after 4months out with a busted knee.

Borussia Dortmund Loans Midfielder Steven Pienaar To FC Everton

Borussia Dortmund has loaned midfielder Steven Pienaar to English Premier League Club FC Everton until the end of the upcoming season (2007/2008). Both clubs agreed not to disclose the fee.
The 25 year-old South African international joined BVB at the start of the 2006/2007 season from Ajax Amsterdam on a free transfer.

#46 carlmc25

carlmc25

Trevor Steven

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 28 Nov 2007 - 15:39

""So you buy an international player to replace Tomáš Rosický""

Sorry Mike but they got him on a free, and its not surprising he struggled after 4months out with a busted knee.
Borussia Dortmund Loans Midfielder Steven Pienaar To FC Everton

Borussia Dortmund has loaned midfielder Steven Pienaar to English Premier League Club FC Everton until the end of the upcoming season (2007/2008). Both clubs agreed not to disclose the fee.
The 25 year-old South African international joined BVB at the start of the 2006/2007 season from Ajax Amsterdam on a free transfer.

it may not be surprising he struggled and the reasons may be understandable, but the fact is, he had a fairly bad injury then came back and struggled for form, so they've loaned him out to us - basically that means, so far, he has flopped. Whatever the reasons and justification, that is the bottom line. Next someone will tell me VDM hasn't flopped! :D

#47 Bill

Bill

Alex. Top player

• Members
  • 15,492 posts

Posted 28 Nov 2007 - 16:03

Putting VD Meyde and Pienaar in the same bracket :o what-a mistake-a to Make-a, your a crazy man. :D

Both where very good players five years ago, one has had a bad injury struggled to recover Fitness, stamina and confidence but the dedication, determination and hard work has paid off, and he has once again become the very good player that he was.

The other went through similar problems but didnt have the same dedication to hard work, therefore did'nt regain any confidence or fitness, and would much rather throw the towel in and seek solace down the pub having a few Beers, so he has not become the very good player that he once was.

I'll leave you to decide which one was which. :)

#48 MikeO

MikeO

Scars are tattoos with better stories.

• Admin
  • 39,424 posts

Posted 28 Nov 2007 - 16:33

Substituting "acquire" for "buy" in my post changes nothing imo.

There you go with your nitpicking journalistic tendencies again Bill :lol: :lol: .

In the old fashioned TT tradition we shall have to agree to differ.....but you're still wrong :jerry: .

#49 Zed

Zed

Dave Hickson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 28 Nov 2007 - 21:03

Carsley is a one dimensional clogger, all teams need them, it helps the team tick.

Sometimes the best teams dont have world class players in all positions

Look at Makalele at Chelsea, Real Madrid were happy to let him go as they wouldnt give him galactico wages, but he was the one who let the galacticos play. They missed him big time when he was gone

Makalele would look shit in a 4-4-2 at Chelsea and Everton.

We do need a better central midfielder, but to be fair, moyes has been looking for the right one for years

If you look at anything in isolation, its easy to critise

Just my opinion at a poster on an Everton forum mind you

#50 Calico

Calico

Mick Lyons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 29 Nov 2007 - 02:17

Here is the problem.... "flop" and "player not working out" seem to be interchangeable to some people. In football, I personally think this is a backward way of thinking but there you go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users