Eveton is the team to folo

'cos their nobody better than Mikel Arteta

He's the best litlle spaniard we know

OR

2)Folo, Folo, Folo

Eveton is the team to folo

'cos their nobody better than Mikel Arteta

He's the basque litlle spaniard we know

i always thought it was number 1, but today ive noticed that sum1 has changed my Sig, because it used to be number 1, now its number 2, im taking it that number 2 is the correct one and an admin changed it?

Can someone expand on Basque anyway? i know its sumin to do with spain bt thats it.

Ta :D

Edited by jacko1990

Fair enough. Campo is definatly a Basque based player though

Studied this (many years ago). The Basque region takes in seven provinces, four in Spain and three in France....has one of the most difficult languages to learn in the World (there's some myth, can't remember the details, about the Devil trying to learn it). ETA...like Jamie said although they're on a cease fire at the mo I believe.

One of the problems Howard Kendall had when he went to Athletic Bilbao is that they only signed (still do as far as I know) Basque born players.

Edit, if anyone's interested..

What do you call a club that has never signed a player from outside its own local region? Not Arsenal, that’s for sure. But in the wake of EPL calls for all teams to include a specific number of local players, scrutiny of the Spanish La Liga team Athletic Bilbao has grown. Because Athletic’s entire identity revolves around the fact that it is made up completely of local players. And by “completely” I mean: Completely. They have never had a non-Basque player.

Athletic are the most exclusive club in world football and proud of it. If you’re not Basque, you can’t join. Their favourite saying is: Con cantera y aficion, no hace falta importacion. It translates as: With home-grown talent and local support, you don’t need foreigners.

If your geography is a little fuzzy, the Basque region is the area that spans the France-Spain border. The population is just over 3 million people. There is a strong ethnic identity, and a segment of the population would like to form their own nation. Barring that, they have the soccer team.

Former French international Bixente Lizarazu was the first non-Spanish player ever to play for the club, back in 1995-6, and he got in only because he was still Basque, if French. Even so, he didn’t play much for the team and left for Bayern Munich after one season.

The club has never been relegated, playing in the Primera División since its inception in 1928. It’s getting harder and harder to keep that up, though. Last year they just barely avoided relegation. This season they’re doing a little better, currently sitting in 14th* place, but they’re still just a couple of points out of the drop zone.

This doesn’t seem to bother the team’s followers, though. The majority seem to prefer the thought of relegation to giving up their identity. From the article’s comment section:

People who are not part of this team or at least don’t support it, cannot understand why it’s more important for us to maintain our policy rather than winning titles. Of course we’d like to play Champions League every year, but not in any price. I mean, we are the 9th richest team in Spain, so the best player are not available for us. Moreover, why to sign a normal foreigner when you have young local players willing to succeed with their team? This team is more than just a couple of colours. It represents almost a country (Basque Country), and when things are not going very well, local players’ implication is much bigger than any other’s. That’s why we believe in this policy, and support it.

* article published last Feb

Edited by MikeO

Think Real Sociedad are a basque based team as well. They had the same basque only strictures but have eased up in recent years

One thing about Atheltic Bilbao is that they were formed by english ex-pats, which is why they are called Athletic not the more traditionally spanish Athletico. Franco did force them to change there name to the traditional Atheltico for awhile, but after his dictatorship ended they changed back.