IGNORED

Do You Consider The Capital Of Culture To Be Anti-everton?

Louis

I thought this may make an interesting debate.

• You'll Never Walk Alone has been adopted as the unoffiical tune for the event.
  • The likes of Paul McArtney are set to play at Anfield whilst Goodison Park seemingly has no events planned - there may be some, but I can't find them on the Everton site.
  • Bill Shankley is to have a play performed about his life - deservedly so but there is no Everton equivalent, there are some guys who want to make a film celebrating 80th anniversary of Dean's 60 goals but I don't think they've been able to acquire the funding.
  • Phil Redmond compared the opening event to Liverpool winning the Champions League
  • During the opening show people were encouraged to chant "Liverpool" in the same fashion as the Liverpool supporters would.

If you think the events are slightly biased, what could be done to redress the balance?

Difficulty is the lack of knowledge on an international basis that Everton is in Liverpool. People know of the city of Liverpool and of Everton FC but frequently don't realise the geography. Similar thing applied to Wimbledon where I used to live....everyone around the world has heard of Wimbledon and of London but they don't have any idea that Wimbledon is in London.

It's wrong though I agree to push the red football clubs association without mention of Everton. Mentioned elsewhere Alexei Sayle suggesting you're only a "true scouser" if you're born within the sound of Anfield. It's crap and needs addressing, but it won'y be.

I don't know if I'm just being dozey but the whole thing seems odd to me, theres all these events and the only time I hear anything about them is as they're happening or after they've finished. At the moment my opinion is the capital of culture is anti scouse, the only scousers they actually want spotted around the events are the token school kids who play a part in everything and the well spoken ones reading a script who they shove in for interviews etc!

Cynical? I don't know but I don't feel part of Liverpool08 that's for sure.