IGNORED

West Ham

MikeO

DWWWWL

efcbadge-1.gif v whfcbadge-1.gifWLLLWD

You'd have got fairly long odds before the week-end of us going into this game with the Hammers on the back of a good win and us coming off our first really disappointing league defeat in the best part of five months. The one thing the Irons fans seemed to agree on when I put some questions to them was that the result next Saturday would be 4-0 to us....they may have reconsidered in the light of this week end's results (although their equal worst ever defeat was 7-0 at Goodison Park in 1927).

Many thanks to them for the answers they gave, and to Stavy, their Admin, for allowing us to do it. This is a selection of replies, if you'd like to see the whole thread it's here..www.westhamforum.co.uk.

What were your hopes and/or expectations at the start of the season and how has the reality compared?

Suzanne Claret To avoid relegation by a country mile but I have been bored to tears.

Hammer Down Under I think mid-table with a good cup run would've suited me fine, providing we played well and we haven't.

Mambo a boring safe position- I got it in spades..

Who have been your best players this season, and who (if any) would you like to see the back of in the Summer (I'll take LBM as a given after browsing your site and seeing his "efforts" yesterday)?

Tony P Our most consistent players have been Green, McCartney, Upson and Mullins. I would like to see the back of LBM, Quashie, Spector, Davenport

MadTyrant Upson has proved many, including meself, wrong. Green has been good, but has gone off the boil. McCartney has done his best. Mullins has ben reliable (most of the time).

To go, barring the obvious LBM, and the wage-collecting reserve teamers such as Quashie and Davenport, not any really, yet. Just the manager...

spleeman87 I would say Green has been the best player along with Mullins and Upson. Neill, LBM & Carlton Cole need to go, they are not good enough simple as.

The perception Evertonians have is that we're not given decent media coverage in comparison to our neighbours (though in the last couple of weeks some sections seem to have finally noticed us). Do you think West Ham have the same problem in the Capital?

EssexLad We get lots of media attention - almost all of it bad. I think every club suffers against the "big four", but Everton have more of a case than most.

eastham75 "were you all born at the start of this season? we were never out of the papers last season, i prefer not to read about the side but to just go and watch them"

Just Like My Dreams Yes

What's your opinion of Everton's season so far, and (tying in with a discussion we have going on on our site currently), from a neutral perspective, which of our players do you think would make a "Merseyside" XI?

Nially Nooly A great season by your mob although I cant say I always enjoy watching you. Player wise Arteta and Cahill both very decent players.

Stavy I think you've been doing really great. I think you can really hold a top 4-5 place this season and next season who knows? You have a strong team without being flashy. Moyes is doing an excellent job with limited resources. (compared to the Prems big spenders that is) Compared to the red scouse, I don't know if you can compete, but maybe Arteta, I really rate him.

IronsRicardo I must admit i do not watch Everton on a regular basis but I think Andy Johnson is underrated, always w*rks the channels well, makes himself a nuisance a pretty good finisher... Arteta I also this is a very good premiership player.

What are your views with hindsight on the Tevez/Mascherano affair?

I know Tevez was immense for you in avoiding relegation, but, at the risk of usetting people, I said at the time they signed,

"West Ham are being used and belittled. Neither of the Argentinians has any interest at all in playing for them other than as a stepping stone to "bigger" things, I'd be horrified if Everton were ever involved in something like that." Was there ever the possibility/intention of them staying at West Ham or was the club just used by outside forces?

Suzanne Claret West Ham looked liked complete f**k-wits over the whole thing. We got the players because Kia Dodgybloke was going to buy the club, when someone else did it all went tits up. Neither players were going to stay any longer than they did. IMHO it was one of my clubs darkest days.

Hammer Down Under I think Tevez would've stayed if the board had paid that scumbag what he wanted by way of a transfer fee. I think it was 25 million?

Mambo We were a stepping stone for them, but it was worth getting stepped on to see Tevez in the claret and blue for half a season, financialy it was more than worth it...

Many Evertonians crave the arrival of an investor with deep pockets and see it as neccessary for the future of the club and the only way of breaking into the "big four." It's a couple of years since Björgólfur Guðmundsson took over at West Ham. Has he made a big difference and what does the future hold?

Tony P Well we will hopefully lose our record of having to sell our home grown talent to "bigger" clubs now we have rich owners. I think outside investment and a stadium to match the fan base is essential to even TRY to keep up with the likes of Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool. The balance is trying not to lose the affinity and identity of the club as you know it. Moving to Kirby which is effectively outside Liverpool may not please all Evertonians I suspect

MadTyrant Too early to tell, we've been in flux since the Icelanders took over. Their money helped keep us up last season, but we haven't yet been in a position for them to demonstrate just how committed they are. Whether or not they hang on to Curbishley, especially if things carry on as they are, will speak volumes about the lengths of their ambition, IMO.

speelman87 As Tony mentioned, I think we can keep hold of our talents that come through the acadamy. You just have to look at the past decade to see the players we have lost to "bigger" clubs: Rio Ferdinand, Joe Cole, Lampard *spit*, Defoe *spit*. I have heard Arsenal are sniffing around Mark Noble, hopefully we have the money to knock them back now. He is certainly one to watch for the future. In way of improvements, no. We were sucked into a relegation dog-fight last season and this year has been less successful than our first year back in the Premiership (9th and an FA Cup Final). I do believe we can push on for a couple of years in the Uefa Cup, attract some quality European players and maybe in the next 4-5 years try and break the "big four.

Any memories of previous Everton/West Ham encounters?

Essex lad No good ones! I remember being up there when we lost 6-0 once and also when Di Canio caught the ball after your keeper (Gerrard?) injured himself.

eastham75 1980 FA cup semi final replay at Elland road great night, as an old git my other memories of Everton that stand out was when ever you came to Upton park i knew it would be a dull game.

Just Like My Dreams First game I saw was West Ham 1 Everton 1 last day of 1967 season. Tonka's last min pen in FA Cup 1/4. Lamps SENIOR semi winner 1980. Di Canio saving your goalie's life.

Predictions for the match....score and scorers?

Nially Nooly Probably 2 or 3 nil to you lot, with that in mind I dont think it willbother who scores really.

Stavy As has become traditional I have to say, 27-0 nil to the mighty hammers.

Irons_Ricardo 3-1 Everton (Lescott, Johnson x2 | Ashton)

And finally, would you like to buy Andy van der Meyde?

Hammer Down Under Andy van der Mayde is Pele' compared to Boa-Morte...

Suzanne Claret Only if you take LBM in exchange.

Mambo I would have 3 seasons ago....

One more....I just got this pm so from one of our members so...

Talking to a Hammers fan in the pub last night, if you havent already put your questions in, it might be worth adding one about if the manager is doing a good job for them, which is very topical after their 3rd 4-0 defeat on the trot, Apparently everybody wants him out.

Tony P No comment !

speelman87 I want him out NOW. We need to get a new manager in, I personally would like Martin Jol. Give him the next 8-9 games to fiddle about with the squad, get to know the team, bring some youth players in, see who he wants to keep and get rid of. Then he can make the changes he needs this summer. We have nothing to play for, therefore nothing to lose.

Stavy I don't think he is doing a good job, but I don't want us doing a barcodes and getting rid of him already.

Thanks to everyone who took the trouble to answer and good luck to West Ham for the rest of the season (after Saturday), particularly against Villa on the last day if we're in need of some help!

We really need to pick up a result for this game to stop us from slipping. Im going to reserve judgement until I see what the squad situation is going to be. If we have AJ, Cahill and Vic available then we should easily see them away. If not then we could really struggle, though having the players more rested than they have been for a while will be good, also having a full weeks uninterupted training should be a real benefit.

Its more likely Hibbo will score than put a decent cross in!

Thats a stupid comment, tony has improved alot in his crossing lately, just because he has a bad reputation with crossing doesnt mean to say it will always be shite, just look at Nevilles crossing against Fiorentina in the first leg, Hibbert with 1 leg would have done better :)

You're lucky to get one good cross a game from Hibbert, he's shocking.

Look at the Fulham game, put into a wonderful position and crosses right into the keeper which then leads to their winning goal because he's up the field. It's a waste giving him the ball to cross it in if it's going to put him out of position for no end product.

Edited by Romey 1878

Thats a stupid comment, tony has improved alot in his crossing lately, just because he has a bad reputation with crossing doesnt mean to say it will always be shite, just look at Nevilles crossing against Fiorentina in the first leg, Hibbert with 1 leg would have done better :)

Thats a stupid comment, He'd fall over trying to cross with one leg! :lol:

I think Moyes would love to get the result against West Ham without risking Cahill, AJ and Anichebe!!.............with next week in mind.

Can we beat West Ham with the same team that lost to Fulham?

I think so!........The difference would have to be fresher legs than they had after the european game, Hibbert doing what he does best, defending!......Osman and Arteta getting one or two more shots in........OH and a few less balls to Yakubus HEAD!!..........and more to his feet or chest, where he can at least do something with them!.....and Pienaar geting as much ball as possible.Not much to ask for is it :unsure:

On paper you would say West Ham have less to play for than Fulham, plus the Hammers don't usually get anything from Goodison...long may it continue!

Thats a stupid comment, He'd fall over trying to cross with one leg! :lol:

I was being sacastic, but really, how bad was Nevilles crossing against Fiorentina 1st leg he had at least 10 crosses and all of them the 1st defender headed away. it pissed me right off that because Hibbert would have been slaughtered for it an because it was wonder boy Neville no1 said fuckall.

I hope fernandes plays, him an ossie in the middle would be class, playing carsley these days is just like having 3 centerbacks, he doesnt do enough in the opposition's half to be in a 4 man midfield imo. I know moyes is always going to play him like but thats why we lack creativity in a 4 4 2 because in 4 5 1 we have 2 midfielders driving through the middle instead of 1 when we go 4 4 2 because Carsley's there.

Edited by Blue4Ever

"Everton are without midfielder Steven Pienaar and defender Joseph Yobo for the visit of West Ham, whilst Andrew Johnson has failed to recover in time.

Victor Anichebe, Tim Cahill and Manuel Fernandes have provided the Blues with a boost though, overcoming their respective injury problems in order to be included in the squad for the contest with the Hammers.

Yobo's place in defence is taken by Leighton Baines, with Joleon Lescott moving across to central defence.

In midfield, Pienaar is replaced by Tim Cahill, whilst Victor Anichebe takes his place in attack alongside Yakubu in place of Johnson.

Fernandes has to settle for a place on the bench alongside Nuno Valente, Thomas Gravesen and Stefan Wessels.

Cahill is expected to play in the centre of midfield, partnering Lee Carsley with Mikel Arteta and Leon Osman providing the width."

24 Howard

18 Neville

16 Jagielka

05 Lescott

03 Baines

06 Arteta

26 Carsley

17 Cahill

21 Osman

22 Yakubu

28 Anichebe

Substitutes

33 Wessels, 02 Hibbert, 10 Gravesen, 19 Nuno Valente, 23 Fernandes

Defence should still be sound, Nigerian strike force could be interesting. Should be good enough though...2-0 for me.

Edited by MikeO

Well sports aint fair sometimes. We were absolutely fukin shite today, just like last weekend. Players seems to have holiday now when uefacup is over. Just starting to worry about next weekend vs rs. We gonna get raped with this kind of perfomance. Manny surprised me positive today. He at least looked for trying to do something, every1 else looked like they would just been waitin for something, final whistle perhaps? :suicide_anim: