IGNORED

Is It Time For Nev To Take A Back Seat?

milky71

I dont think our return to form co-incided with Neville getting back. I think it returned because Fellaini stepped his game up and grew into the DM role and Nevilles return was more of a sub plot of the Fellaini main story. It was also the start of whn we could play players in their natural position as opposed to filling a gap.

I like Neville and I thought that when he was paired with Arteta last season, he played the best I have ever seen him play. However with the resurgence of Fellaini he shouldnt be playing in midfield (unless injured like he is now). Defensively I would say he is similar to Hibbert at RB. They both make mistakes and they both do some good stuff. Going forward they are similar their passing is average and they are a liability if pressured on the ball. However Neville is more of a leader and is more organised than Hibbert so he gets my vote in that battle. Coleman on the other hand is a completely different kettle of fish and I think he should be thrown in more. Maybe not in the big games, but where we need to attack and should be winning he should get a shout. The only way he and we will learn how good he can be will be through playing games.

yes he's a leader but like Mark says, his performances havent been great. i dont think he should be an automatic choice just because hes the captain and at the moment, yes i wouldve dropped him. But with Felli injured he gets to play in his preferred position so i imagine he will start to pick up again and id still have Pip over Rodders for now...

This "Pip playing coinciding with our recent performances" doesnt fly for me. Our form is made up of Screech finding his feet, Donovan giving us an option down the right and Pienaar back down the left giving us attacking options down both flanks. Not to mention Skippy playing well again and the defence settling down, Johnny being immense, even in the poor games and having more than teenagers to come off the bench.

If Pip doesnt pick up, he needs to be dropped. We've seen many times from the sidelines that he can be a captain on the line so his influence wouldnt be entirely lost. Also, sends a message to the rest of the team; if your not playing well enough regardless of who you are, you will be dropped.

Its a difficult one! There's no question that Nev is a good captain but at the expense of Coleman who looks good and will only get better with games, it's no coinsidence that our good run last season started when Nev established himself in the middle but when Fella is fit he will be in there, it will be interesting to see what Moyesie does as i don't think he will drop Neville (it makes a nice change having selection problems, i can't remember the last time we had such a strong squad)

I agree with Blue Nose. This is a difficult decision but a major positive that I haven't seen in awhile. Options. There are people that we can put in. Our bench doesn't have an average age of 18 anymore. I think Neville hasn't been playing the best, but he is a captain so we will see. I trust Moyes as he usually knows what's best and his opinion is the only one that matters

Is Phil Neville good enough for this team?

I think he isn't. I mean, he's good for team-spirit and motivation, but there is NO creativity or pace in that man. Which, in my opinion, a right-back should have. His crosses are not that good either.. so.. will Heitinga take his place as soon as Jags is back? Cahill for captain!

The one thing I will say is that Heitinga will not take his place. He has earned a full-time CB position for us. Him and Jags will be paired together with Distin losing out. I would love to see Cahill as captain but don't see him being the best for us on the pitch in terms of voice to the team and to the ref. I see arteta as a great captain.

Based on last night. He should be dropped, but who (with experience in mind) do we play? Everyones gonna shout Coleman, but would you really put him in against United? The only positive is the fact that Coleman, unlike Neville, will probably not forget who he plays for (again) and puts one in his own net (again).

Based on last night. He should be dropped, but who (with experience in mind) do we play? Everyones gonna shout Coleman, but would you really put him in against United? The only positive is the fact that Coleman, unlike Neville, will probably not forget who he plays for (again) and puts one in his own net (again).

Mind you it was Neville and " That tackle ", where he cut Uniteds nancy boy down to size that seemed to get Everton up for the fight.

BUT...Yes, he hasn't been that great in the last few games, maybe against United he will be fired up....... let's hope so, because HE WILL be playing.

Tbf, for Coleman to get experience against top opposition like Manure he has to play against them, and that's the only way we're going to know if he's up to the task.

nev had a lot to do with our return to form he just puts confidence into everyone with his leadership i mean when he was out injured there was moaning about who can lead us?? he comes back and does well i think i dont see where this bad form is he made a mistake or two against chelsea and we won so cant have been that bad..the guy is the best man by a country mile to be captain and is great on the pitch to you won't get him shying away from a tackle or the ball!

Tbf, for Coleman to get experience against top opposition like Manure he has to play against them, and that's the only way we're going to know if he's up to the task.

ease him into it with games against the likes of spurs etc like we did...cant just toss him in against someone like giggs or valencia or even evra for that matter..he did well against spurs but it was krank and bale...not a patch on the utd players...he needs more time before he plays against the likes of utd

The one thing I will say is that Heitinga will not take his place. He has earned a full-time CB position for us. Him and Jags will be paired together with Distin losing out. I would love to see Cahill as captain but don't see him being the best for us on the pitch in terms of voice to the team and to the ref. I see arteta as a great captain.

The issue with this is lack of height. Heitinga and Jags aren't the tallest and Jagielka last season struggled against players like Drogba, Crouch, Carew et al. I think Heitinga has really grown into the role but I would still like to see Yobo in there, as long as he recaptures his best form. When playing well Yobo is pretty much the complete defender, tall, VERY fast, excellent tackler and a very good header of the ball. I know he was WAY out of sorts early this season but I'm hoping he may now get a run in the team and play like he is capable of. It wasn't long ago that Moyes was calling him one of the best CB's in Europe.

I think we need the committed Dave Watson type - Heitinga/Jagielka - but that we also need the pace and height that Yobo brings. Obviously if Yobo blows his next chance then it'll definitely be Heit & Jags. I still think Rodwell will end up back there anyway.