IGNORED

Shane Duffy

Sources in Northern Ireland have informed NSNO that the Everton academy have completed the signing of 16-year old Northern Irish defender Shane Duffy from the Derry based Foyle Harps Youth Football Club.

After impressing in his country's recent Victory Shield match with England, Duffy was invited to England for trials with a number of clubs including Arsenal and Manchester United.

He has however opted to join up with compatriots Ryan Harpur and summer signing Eunan O'Kane at Everton.

http://www.nsno.co.uk/news.php?item.2915

The Foyle Harps wikipedia page says said he'd signed three days ago!

Shane_Duffy.jpg

Is that Jose Baxter as well?

Yeah that's Shane and Jose Baxter, playing against each other for the first time. Apparently when he was invited over, José was the first person he saw, haha!

The big guy has been looking promising and he has attracted the attention of loads of clubs, including Man U, Liverpool, Bolton, Tottenham, Celtic and Arsenal. I've watched alot of his games and watched him in the Milk Cup. He got awarded Man of the Match against Chelsea, when he played for County Derry. He got a good write up there in the local paper too!

Here he is during the Milk Cup:

4463360581a5181749816l.jpg

And here he is with David Moyes:

4463360581a5865644938l.jpg

6'3" and growing haha!

Edited by Noddy

Noddy, are you in fact Shane Duffy?

Haha!

I am actually his cousin, but it's all true!

He told me that the facilities were different class over there and he felt a sense of loyalty to Everton because they had been interested in him for quite some time, rather than just coming in after his performances on TV.

• 1 month later...

If it makes you feel any better Noddy (read the text beneath your name incidentally ;) ) I've requested him to be added to Football Manager (I help with research) so he should be in there with the new patch that comes out next month.

Does he have a pro deal?

Thanks Louis!

I've just sent an email.

However, back to the topic...

Shane is currently training with the Northern Ireland under-17 team and should hopefully be playing in their next few games. I think the next coming game is against Finland.

Here's another snippet of info:

Shane is actually also eligible to play for the Republic of Ireland, but he is keen on staying with the Northern Ireland team, because they have supported him all the way and also because the current group of players have a strong bond with one and other.

Yeah, that is the case, but Shane's father is from the Republic so, it's easier for him.

The whole fiasco with Darren Gibson annoyed me. It just seemed like the IFA were trying to hinder Darren Gibson's international career with the FAI.

The N.Ireland Victory Shield squad definitely did have a few good players in there. I'd say, if the IFA keeps them together, they'd be doing well.

Edited by Noddy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey guys!

Shane is now playing with the Republic of Ireland Under 17 squad. He has been training with them for the past few days and has impressed coaches. Rumours abound around the training ground that the young defender has been touted as the new Paul McGrath.