IGNORED

Aj

jofanon

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carl - the keeper should have saved AJ's second? :huh: Are you blind?

Looking at it again today I don't think Petr Cech on speed would have got close to it.

And there goal was a bit of a cock-up. For some reason Jags pulled out of clearing it....presumably because he didn't want to deflect it. Nice to get the mistakes out of the way in a game where we score six instead of next Monday :) .

don't think it was jags fault.... he shouldn't be clearing that ball, it's a comfortable gather for howard, if howard had done his job correctly he would have been prepared and taken it with ease...that wouldn't have happened with a top goalie.

Not blaming him entirely but he made the decision to leave it too late imo. He was briefly in two minds which caused Howard to be the same....maybe Tim should have called, dunno, but joint responsibility in my view.

in a situation like that IMO it always comes down to the keeper, that's why i don't think howard had a go at jags, because he obviously didn't call and regardless he should have been aware, it's what a goalie needs to do. straight down the middle of the goal, jags can't afford to kick it and send it our for a corner or risk slicing it in when it's a routine gather for the keeper. it's like in cricket when there's a runout or in work when there's a task manager kind of thing, as a goalie it was howards call and he failed to make it.

now i think tim was a good buy, but he does make mistakes sometimes, and i think he'd be the first to admit that he was at fault for that goal. unless there is a wicked deflection, a goalkeeper should never be beaten in that area, regardless.

unless there is a wicked deflection, a goalkeeper should never be beaten in that area, regardless.

Wouldn't disagree with that....

(actually I'm not allowed to disagree with you any more under section five of the "clique" rules that were sent to you when you passed 3,000 posts ;) )

Cant blame either of them really, if you look back and study it, the shot was a daisy cutter all the way until it bounced on the 6 yard line, then it shot up above and over Howards body. was probably a bad bounce/bobble call it what you want, but the ball ended up higher at the point of entry than it was when it left his foot, a freak goal. IMO. :)

Maybe it was his third then, the one where pienaar ran down thte wing and somehow it scrambled to the Yak at the back post.

He'd have looked pretty bloody stupid if it hadn't gone in, he was two yards out with an open goal.

What you mean is that he was lucky to get the ball in the first place which is something completely different.

Carl - the keeper should have saved AJ's second? :huh: Are you blind?

I thought AJ was excellent last night and the perfect foil for Yak to work with. Their defenders were scared of AJ's pace and that gave Yak the room he needed. A good partnership in the making.

I only saw the replays at the time but to me, AJ's first the goalie got two hands on and should have saved, the 2nd ended up virtually in the middle of the goal, albeit in the roof of the net. The goalie was well off his line and out of position, two brilliant strikes from AJ - you couldn't ask any more from him - all I'm saying is I would have been disappointed had Howard let them in. If I was mistaken then so be it, I'll have a watch on youtube when I finish work. But let's remember, Brann were diabolical (don't kid yourselves, they were a total shambles whenever we strung two decent passes together) even if they were game and deserved their goal. They were only just starting pre-season and looked a poor poor team, if AJ and Yakubu can do the same to City then AJ really will start to win some favour with me, but I have my doubts as Dunne and Richards are good players and against good players, so far this season, AJ has looked out of his depth. Nothing would make me happier than a repeat of Brann tonight, all the results went badly for us at the weekend, we NEED a result tonight so come on AJ and the YAK! :D

don't think it was jags fault.... he shouldn't be clearing that ball, it's a comfortable gather for howard, if howard had done his job correctly he would have been prepared and taken it with ease...that wouldn't have happened with a top goalie.

Howard IS a top goalie. I can't believe you'd have a dig at Howard, what goalie doesn't make mistakes? (just look at Cech in yesterday's cup final) In the year and a half Howard has been with us you could probably count the mistakes he has made on one hand, he has been absolutely superb for us, consistently and has been an inspired signing. How you can label him anything other than a top goalie is beyond me.

However, I do agree it was his fault against Brann, Jags could have done better but Howard has to save that.

He'd have looked pretty bloody stupid if it hadn't gone in, he was two yards out with an open goal.

What you mean is that he was lucky to get the ball in the first place which is something completely different.

Presicely(Spelling :blink: ) went past 2/3 defenders and a goalkeeper. shouldnt have even got to him, glad it did thou

Carl, i do think Howard is a good shot stopper, but when we are defending a corner he is hopeless! and crosses.

Edited by jacko1990

Presicely(Spelling :blink: ) went past 2/3 defenders and a goalkeeper. shouldnt have even got to him, glad it did thou

Carl, i do think Howard is a good shot stopper, but when we are defending a corner he is hopeless! and crosses.

I think he's just lost a bit of confidence on crosses at the moment, he'll get it back. I thought Nigel Martyn was absolutely abysmal on crosses, he very rarely came for them and when he did it was usually a disaster. I think Howard has been a brilliant signing, particularly as I would assume he was a fairly decent price.

Howard IS a top goalie. I can't believe you'd have a dig at Howard, what goalie doesn't make mistakes? (just look at Cech in yesterday's cup final) In the year and a half Howard has been with us you could probably count the mistakes he has made on one hand, he has been absolutely superb for us, consistently and has been an inspired signing. How you can label him anything other than a top goalie is beyond me.

However, I do agree it was his fault against Brann, Jags could have done better but Howard has to save that.

he's decent...not top...