IGNORED

Media Coverage

shetland

Now I know this has been mentioned many times before on this forum so I'll try not to go on too much, however the media bias towards not only the so called 'big 4' but also towards lesser teams is really starting to piss me off.

As I'm sure most people here have noticed MOTD only ever put us remotely near the start of the program if play the mancs or on the odd occasion when we put 7 past someone :), I've come to accept that this is the way things are but 2 things recently have made me have to write this.

1) When we were playing the CC semi-final 1st leg there was only a highlight show on the following night which lasted 55 mins of which 40 were of the arsenal-spurs game and a measly 5 minutes put by for our game (something which really pissed me off as I hadn't been able to watch the game on the night as I had to work). Then surprise surprise for the 2nd leg there was a highlights program dedicated to each game. Even this though was on at the ridiculous time of midnight, ideal when youve got work at 6 the next morning!

2) I usually read the Sun newspaper, granted it isn't the best paper for sport but there's usually a reasonable football section so it does the job. While reading yesterday's Sun of all the previews for the UEFA cup games involving English teams, Everton got a single column mostly taken up by a story irrelevant to the match whereas Notlob and Spurs got pretty much a whole page, once again this wasn't a massive concern as the game later on was far more important. However in today's paper it was pretty much the same again with our game in which we scored 6 goals against what looked like half decent opposition getting a paltry write up almost as an afterthought! Now I do accept the athletico madrid getting knocked out by an underperforming Notlob is impressive, I don't see how Spurs almost fucking up against a pretty dire slavia prague is a better story!!

Sorry for the rant I just needed to get it out, does anyone think this will change in the near future or are we stuck in a mainly London biased media world??

What pisses me off on MOTD is, after we've had our 5 minute highlights, the camera turns to Gary Linker and says "and a good result for everton there" THATS IT! No reaction! fuck off. We are 4th and deserve recognition not the shite coverage we get. Probs doesn't help that there's 2 redhsites on the panel.

Just like to add that the way commentators bum liverpool in the CL is absolutley pathetic. Inter game guy talking about carragher coming out and saying their performance against the all mighty barnsley was simply not good enuff, then he went on to say if only all football players were as honest as carragher. WTF?! If liverpool had an ass it would be red raw.

Theres my rant,

Edited by EFCfanatic

What pisses me off on MOTD is, after we've had our 5 minute highlights, the camera turns to Gary Linker and says "and a good result for everton there" THATS IT! No reaction! fuck off. We are 4th and deserve recognition not the shite coverage we get. Probs doesn't help that there's 2 redhsites on the panel.

Just like to add that the way commentators bum liverpool in the CL is absolutley pathetic. Inter game guy talking about carragher coming out and saying their performance against the all mighty barnsley was simply not good enuff, then he went on to say if only all football players were as honest as carragher. WTF?! If liverpool had an ass it would be red raw.

Theres my rant,

I agree if jamie carragher was so "honest" surely he would have been man enough to come out after the derby and say it was a penalty for my foul on lescott.

On the whole media thing perhaps it can be a blessing in disguise, i for one like it that we dont make the back page every week and take up the usual 5th spot on match of the day.

COYB

Now I know this has been mentioned many times before on this forum so I'll try not to go on too much, however the media bias towards not only the so called 'big 4' but also towards lesser teams is really starting to piss me off.

As I'm sure most people here have noticed MOTD only ever put us remotely near the start of the program if play the mancs or on the odd occasion when we put 7 past someone :), I've come to accept that this is the way things are but 2 things recently have made me have to write this.

1) When we were playing the CC semi-final 1st leg there was only a highlight show on the following night which lasted 55 mins of which 40 were of the arsenal-spurs game and a measly 5 minutes put by for our game (something which really pissed me off as I hadn't been able to watch the game on the night as I had to work). Then surprise surprise for the 2nd leg there was a highlights program dedicated to each game. Even this though was on at the ridiculous time of midnight, ideal when youve got work at 6 the next morning!

2) I usually read the Sun newspaper, granted it isn't the best paper for sport but there's usually a reasonable football section so it does the job. While reading yesterday's Sun of all the previews for the UEFA cup games involving English teams, Everton got a single column mostly taken up by a story irrelevant to the match whereas Notlob and Spurs got pretty much a whole page, once again this wasn't a massive concern as the game later on was far more important. However in today's paper it was pretty much the same again with our game in which we scored 6 goals against what looked like half decent opposition getting a paltry write up almost as an afterthought! Now I do accept the athletico madrid getting knocked out by an underperforming Notlob is impressive, I don't see how Spurs almost fucking up against a pretty dire slavia prague is a better story!!

Sorry for the rant I just needed to get it out, does anyone think this will change in the near future or are we stuck in a mainly London biased media world??

the times was just as bad. Bolton and Spurs and FFS Aberdeen got bigger write ups than we did. all we got was a small column and not even a single picture either. fucking dire.

Actually saw a bit of recognition for us in a couple of places today. A Soccernet article evaluating Avram Grant's performance at Chelsea to date included this aside:

"The questions over Grant's suitability for the job go further. Mourinho also had a superb record in games now dubbed 'grand slam' fixtures which also feature Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal; only time will tell whether the TV broadcaster in England will have to re-brand that to include Everton next season."

It wasn't necessary for the writer to mention us at all, so it was nice that he did.

Also, in the world club rankings on CNN/SI (a weekly listing of what they consider the ten best teams in the world), we've gotten a nod for the first time that I can ever remember seeing. Not quite up to the top ten yet, but they did put us in the honorable mention category. And that's only based on results through last Tuesday, so it doesn't even include the Brann game or yesterday's performance.