IGNORED

Fiorentina (away) 1st Leg

Bill

I personally think that on paper we have the better advantage for this tie as a whole. We are going to your place with a great run of form and then take the 2nd leg at home. IMO we have much better attacking players than yopu do. Yakubu is a better striker than mutu, and mutu isn't even playing.

Oh and i didn't predict a win in florence, i would be very happy for a scoring draw. I think people predicting us beating you by a big score at your place is silly, but I have confidence that we will see you away at Goodison.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

on paper our defence is better in my opinion, and upfront we have Yakubu, I don't see where Fiorentina are supposedly stronger? They have a good goalie, midfield isn't really better than ours, arteta pienaar, cahill. I'm not saying we'll beat Fiorentina, but for you to say we're not as good on paper? We're both in similar positions in our respective leagues (ours being arguably harder) and we've both done well in europe. It should be an interesting affair, but I think we can win.

Capello said it himself, Fiorentina need to be cautious about us.

Edited by CraccerC

on paper our defence is better in my opinion, and upfront we have Yakubu, I don't see where Fiorentina are supposedly stronger? They have a good goalie, midfield isn't really better than ours, arteta pienaar, cahill. I'm not saying we'll beat Fiorentina, but for you to say we're not as good on paper? We're both in similar positions in our respective leagues (ours being arguably harder) and we've both done well in europe. It should be an interesting affair, but I think we can win.

Capello said it himself, Fiorentina need to be cautious about us.

i THINK this is a "clash" of giants in fiorentina play my countrymen Kuzmanovic this is good player and very team work player, but we(everton) have yakubu, arteta, cahill. Everton must play strong in midfilder and i think everton have better defensive line

I personally think that on paper we have the better advantage for this tie as a whole. We are going to your place with a great run of form and then take the 2nd leg at home. IMO we have much better attacking players than yopu do. Yakubu is a better striker than mutu, and mutu isn't even playing.

Oh and i didn't predict a win in florence, i would be very happy for a scoring draw. I think people predicting us beating you by a big score at your place is silly, but I have confidence that we will see you away at Goodison.

I agree with all of that, including the thought that it would be silly for anyone to expect another Brann-like blowout in this game, especially when nobody's scored more than two in any game against the Purple all season. I'd also be quite happy for a scoring draw. But it's not like the Fior. defense is impregnable at home...visitors who have scored two goals there and won this season include Udinese and Lazio, and with a healthy midfield (which we finally have again) we're more dangerous going forward than either of those teams.

Also worth pointing out that even though F. never yield more than two, they usually give away at least one. They've played 38 matches this season and kept 11 clean sheets (29% of their games), whereas we've played 42 matches and kept 17 clean sheets (40% of our games). They've scored 14 in their last 10 games in all competitions, but they've also surrendered 10 goals. We've scored 17 in our last ten games and surrendered only 4, and that includes the stretch of 3 or 4 games where we barely had enough midfielders to put a team together.

Well, Roma managed to pull the upset, although as I noted in another thread, Real and Barca aren't the unbeatable juggernauts of previous seasons either. Hopefully if there's any other Italian upset in the next two weeks it comes courtesy of Inter.

Anyway, here's an interesting "meet Fiorentina, and take them lightly at your peril" article

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story...os1&cc=5901

Edited by JD in DC

He's not listed as injured on the OS.

it did say in the Daily Post that he had a groin strain, personally I'm just happy that he can't play, whatever the reason - we have too many big/crucial games coming up and we just can't risk playing Fernandez unless we physically have to.

Probably only paper talk so they just name the whole squad but fernandes is in this squad. ..........

Midfielder Mikel Arteta is Everton’s only doubt for tomorrow’s UEFA Cup last-16 tie against Fiorentina in Italy.

The Spaniard travelled to Florence after receiving treatment in Spain but manager David Moyes admits he is by no means guaranteed a place in the squad.

However, with the rest of his players available Moyes must decide whether to change his winning line-up from Sunday’s success over Portsmouth.

Provisional squad: Howard, Hibbert, Neville, Yobo, Jagielka, Valente, Baines, Lescott, Carsley, Cahill, Osman, Pienaar, Fernandes, Arteta, Johnson, Yakubu, Anichebe, Vaughan, Wessels.

Tho none of the fringe reserve players are mentioned, although they are named in the EUFA SQUAD.So basicly its just a guess.

How do you know that manny isn't a squad? I havn't seen it released anywhere. According to BBC he has travelled.

The squad from the OS...

Everton squad: Tim Howard, Iain Turner, Stefan Wessels, Tony Hibbert, Phil Neville, Joleon Lescott, Joseph Yobo, Phil Jagielka, Leighton Baines, Mikel Arteta, Leon Osman, Lee Carsley, Tim Cahill, Steven Pienaar, Yakubu, Victor Anichebe, Andrew Johnson, Dan Gosling, Jack Rodwell.

I'm just happy that he can't play, whatever the reason - we have too many big/crucial games coming up and we just can't risk playing Fernandez unless we physically have to.

what a load of shit, its like saying we cant risk neville in midfield, or hibbert at rightback, manny is a class player but certain fans are against him since he joined valencia over us.

Edited by Blue4Ever

what a load of shit, its like saying we cant risk neville in midfield, or hibbert at rightback, manny is a class player but certain fans are against him since he joined valencia over us.

no it isn't, you can rely on Neville and Hibbert to give 100% and usually not let anyone down. Ok Neville may not be the best passer of a ball in midfield (and ditto Hibbert at RB) but he can tackle and leave the passing to others (and we now do have others who can pass the ball). Fernandez looks a liability at the present time, I personally don't want him to play and cost us either the UEFA cup or 4th place in the league just because he's 'talented.' On present Fernandez form I'd probably stick Hibbert in midfield ahead of him. We don't need him on the bench either, if Neville is RB he can come into midfield if needed, if Neville is in midfield then we can change to 442 and bring on AJ/Anichebe/Vaughan. If a footballer doesn't have the right mentality then he's virtually useless. He's been a total waste of space, just deal with it rather than slagging off the likes of Neville - a guy who does put his best in and shows some pride.

no it isn't, you can rely on Neville and Hibbert to give 100% and usually not let anyone down. Ok Neville may not be the best passer of a ball in midfield (and ditto Hibbert at RB) but he can tackle and leave the passing to others (and we now do have others who can pass the ball). Fernandez looks a liability at the present time, I personally don't want him to play and cost us either the UEFA cup or 4th place in the league just because he's 'talented.' On present Fernandez form I'd probably stick Hibbert in midfield ahead of him. We don't need him on the bench either, if Neville is RB he can come into midfield if needed, if Neville is in midfield then we can change to 442 and bring on AJ/Anichebe/Vaughan. If a footballer doesn't have the right mentality then he's virtually useless. He's been a total waste of space, just deal with it rather than slagging off the likes of Neville - a guy who does put his best in and shows some pride.

totally agree with you there carl.

i was well excited when he came back, i dont care if he went to valencia or not, the point is he has been garbage since he came back! on current form i really hope we dont sign him, id love nothing more than him to play tonight and run the show, but i doubt it