IGNORED

Ian Ross

Tho i am in favour of Ian Ross and his reply to Benitez i often wonder if the chanting at Gerrard does us any good at all, i think it only helps to fire him up against us, maybe if you kept your mouths shut and didnt come out with the disgustingly embarrasing chants, he wouldnt put in such a good performance against us.

Just because Lescott and Neville got the same treatment does'nt mean its OK for us to sink to the same level.

My view is that we are better than them, or i think we are are'nt we. ??. But by the same token, well done to Ian Ross.

Interesting piece (from Sportingo)...

Spitting, abusing stewards and disgusting chants have turned the once-great Merseyside derby into a of hate-filled cauldron of bile. This Blues fan explains how the younger generation have brought shame on both clubs.

'Banter is all part of the game and I wouldn't have it any other way. But for the last 15 years or so things have changed between two sets of fans who follow two great clubs'I have been an Everton fan for almost 40 years now. I made my début as a supporter as a two-year-old carried on my dad's shoulders to a 1-0 win against Chelsea at Goodison Park.

I was born and brought up in Liverpool and I am as proud of my city as the next man, but I fear for the way in which the support for both clubs has degenerated over the last few years.

There are many reasons for the loss of respect between the two clubs and the sets of fans and I don’t suppose we’ll ever get to the bottom of it all, but I do think we need Hillary Clinton to wave her magic wand - as she apparently did in Northern Ireland back in the '90s - to put an end to hostilities.

For me, it reached a peak at Anfield at the weekend as in the space of five minutes two Liverpool fans spat on Phil Neville’s back when he was taking a throw-in.

That's just disgusting - plain and simple. I might be biased here but it's a whole lot worse than the songs sung by the Kop about Joleon Lescott, or the Evertonian one questioning Steven Gerrard's parentage of his children. I'd even say it's a whole lot worse than the ones Liverpool fans sing about the Munich disaster or David Beckham's wife - both of which I feel cross the line when it comes to banter.

Then there was the sight of a young Liverpool supporter with what looked like his grandad throwing the ball away from Tim Howard every time someone tried to give it back to him.

Now, that's just silly - but it got a bit more sinister as a steward tried to tell the lad to pack it in and, for his troubles, got a torrent of abuse from the grandad who looked ready to kill the poor bloke if it would waste a few more seconds.

Why is this happening? If I may, I'd like to give you an old Blue's point of view, one that I hope doesn’t come across as anything other than genuine and honest.

I love the banter of football, hence all my articles last week on the downfall of Liverpool FC and all involved. Any way I could find to crank up the pressure in the build-up to the game, I took it. Banter is all part of the game and I wouldn't have it any other way. But for the last 15 years or so things have changed between two sets of fans who follow two great clubs.

Set one are the young Evertonians. They are too young to remember what actually happened during the Heysel disaster. Those who do remember it will know that what happened that night could have happened anywhere in Europe with any set of fans.

If they actually knew what they were talking about, they wouldn’t sing their stupid songs about who’s a murderer and who isn’t. These younger fans blame Liverpool for everything that has gone wrong with their own club since the European ban.

Personally, although I do think it has affected us a club more than any other, I don’t feel the lack of investment in our team as we approached the '90s can be laid at the door of Liverpool fans' behaviour that infamous night. It has a lot more to do with Margeret Thatcher, who couldn’t wait to use it to attack a city she for some reason despised. Set two are the new Sky TV-fuelled Liverpool fans.

The older generation, who were mostly born and bred here, know the score and appreciate what Everton have had to put up with. They know that we haven’t had the fortune of multi-millionaires coming to help us get over a European ban. They respect what we have achieved has been done through hard work.

But now there is a new breed of fans. They come from far and wide and seem to crave the love of the local Reds more than anything. And how do they show their "loyalty" to the club? By hating all things Everton and Manchester United.

The truth is that most of the locals want them out of their club, hence the campaigns such as “Reclaim the Kop”.

These new fans spend most of their time on message boards and blogs talking about how they have won this and that. But what they don’t realise is that the real fans they are wanting to be accepted by are the brothers and sisters, the sons and daughters of the very people they are spewing their bile at.

It’s an irony that is completely lost on them. I for one hope both sets of these fans soon realise that the only thing they are actually achieving is the destruction of football on Merseyside, the football they claim to love.

I had one of the best days of my life at Wembley in 1989 at an all-Merseyside FA Cup final. It showed the football world what real Merseyside fans were like. That was only 19 years ago. It is so very sad to see how far we have fallen since then.

Last season, it was the game given the title "it's ladies day", the one against Blackburn!

Got off the train with my son as usual, walked out to the taxi rank, this particular day neither of us where wearing any Blue stuff.

Got in a taxi and asked him to take us to the hotel.........before our backsides had hardly touched the seats the driver was off on one!!!......."not hear for ladies day then"!!....when I pointed out that yes we were hear in fact to watch Everton......the next 10/15mins spent in taxi from station to hotel we endured a triad ao abuse, We have encountered Blue and red taxi drivers over the years and had had some good banter with them.....but this red was something else.Something was surly troubling the man, as violence was not far from view, if I'd wanted to stand my ground!

I had always told my son that banter between Blue and red was a good and enjoyable thing....

A mate at work a red, said he's seen it getting worse in the last few years also.

I got a funny look from a few Blues last week at the West Ham game, when I shouted at Arteta to get off his arse and get on with it when he was looking for a foul......if my son spat onto the back of Evertons opponents, I'd kick his arse and remove him from the ground!

The familes of the spitting red kids must need some kind of help!

Apparently the spitting was'nt done by kids, it was done by a grown up, well maybe not grown up in the correct meaning of the word but nontheless he was supposedly an ADULT. I question the description of adult, so lets just say he was at an age whereby you would call him an adult .... Disgusting low life.

Rafa didn't call Everton a small club, either. I guess that doesn't matter to Ian.

"Playing against a small team it is not always easy when they have nine men behind the ball." is what he said after the Anfield Derby last year. Who was he talking about if not Everton?

It's crazy that the club has made a statement over something a manager said in passing.

He said it in his post match interview when presumably he's acting as a spokesman for Liverpool. If he'd have said that both sets of supporters were out of order then fine, but he gave the impression that it came from one side only so it needed a response. No question you'd feel the same if the situation was reversed.

Took a taxi to a match this year from lime street. O think it might be Larissa I'm not sure. I got in the cab and said Goodison. I soon found out he was a red and soon the abuse started. From him asking me if I ment kirkby to abuse abount the 5 time european champions of the world best team in whole of univers bullshit. So we landed outside the megastore and it was £6 and I gave him a £20 poundnote and a quid thinking £15 change would be easier. Then came the most discusting abuse and language I have evr heard calling me all sorts of names that I didn't have the exact change and that he did not have any change. i'm sorry but how does a cabbie who's been out all fucking day have no £10 and a £5note?!!!! I was shocked tbh at what he was saying and felt threatened and so I had to part with my £20. On reflection I should have reported him but didn't get his cab no. I was a bit shaken. I am 18.

Seems this is what it has come to.

Edited by EFCfanatic

Needs someone making an effort to stop it getting worse.

I heard the Five Live piece on it, a Liverpool fan phoned in to say Phil Neville brought it on himself because of when, "...he ran 50yds to celebrate a goal and made an obscene gesture to Liverpool fans at Old Trafford." So he'd asked for it.

I made my wife jump by shouting, "That was Gary you prick!" at the radio....fortunately the Evertonian present put the record straight :) .

Ross was impressive again imo.

Edited by MikeO