IGNORED

Everton Have To Beat Villa

You're assuming we lose all three and they win all three. Bit of a stretch?

We're still 2-9 for fifth place and 1-11 for top six with the bookies.

Three home games left, Arsenal will possibly have nothing to play for when we go there.

Ten day break after Chelsea to get a few back from injury.

Why is everyone panicking, calm down lads ;) .

You're assuming we lose all three and they win all three. Bit of a stretch?

I'm not assuming that, because if that happened, even a win against Villa wouldn't be enough.

I am assuming Villa beat Birmingham and Wigan, that results against West Ham and Newscastle repsectively are similar, and that Everton lose to Chelsea and Arsenal.

Its not difficult to overturn six points if one of the games involves us, they only have to win 2 and we lose 2 which is very likely the way we are playing at the mo. Ignore pompey cos we can still make Europe even if pompey finish ahead of us, but no chance of Europe if Villa catch us.

I'm not assuming that, because if that happened, even a win against Villa wouldn't be enough.

Could be. Villa take nine points, we take three. Down to gd.

Don't forget that before Villa beat Bolton and Derby they'd taken two points from a possible fifteen, so they've hardly been on fire themselves.

If Pompey and Villa overtake us we go into the intertoto.

If Pompey, Villa and Blackburn overtake us we (probably) get a place in the UEFA through the fair play league.

The fact remains that the bookies, the people who aren't affected by the in-built Evertonian panic mechanism and who are in it purely to make money, reckon we're near as damn it a dead cert for top six and very strong odds-on favourites for fifth.

We've equalled our highest ever points total with four games left, three of them at home. We've conceded six goals in the league in fourteen games this year. Also unbeaten at home in the league this year, and it's the middle of April.

Tough patch at the moment for sure, but I'm still confident.

For those that aren't the emergency exits are positioned over the wings, women and small children first, leave your optimism in the overhead compartment, there's no time to retrieve personal belongings before we crash and burn into the Mersey :P .

Edited by MikeO

At the start of the season i would have taken top 8 and a good cup run, but having got ourselves into such a good position its a shame to see it all fall apart, the new year we have gone out of the carling cup, the Euro cup, even tho we put up a good show, gone out of the FA Cup to a third tier nobody club, lost to Fulham when a win would have taken us 3 points ahead of Redshite before the Derby game and put the pressure on them to catch us, instead of the other way round.

"We've equalled our highest ever points total with four games left, three of them at home. We've conceded six goals in the league in fourteen games this year. Also unbeaten at home in the league this year, and it's the middle of April".

Its ok you giving us those facts Mike here's a few more, we have won only one of the last five league games and that was a very lucky win against Derby County, we have scored only 3 goals in the last five league games, We have played shite against Fulham, Derby, and Birmingham, 3 of the bottom 4 clubs in the league.

Nobody's looking for the Exit door, i for one am just pointing out how it all should have been over by now, EFC seem to have an inferiority complex about doing too well, they suddenly realise where they are, get the shakes and then blow all the good work.

The last time we finished 4th it was because all the other teams lost when we did, i think we didnt win any of our last 10 games, i think that could be the case again this time.

If we hang on to 5th place it will be because other teams dont want it, because we are doing our best to give it away.

Fair points, but...

"The fact remains that the bookies, the people who aren't affected by the in-built Evertonian panic mechanism and who are in it purely to make money, reckon we're near as damn it a dead cert for top six (1-11) and very strong odds-on favourites (2-9)for fifth.

You think the bookies are wrong? Not being flippant it's a serious question.

If so I suggest you get down to your local one and invest in Villa and Pompey because you could make enough money to soften the blow if we fail :P .

The chances of us not playing in Europe next year remain minute imo.

I still think we'll finish fifth. But for two refereeing howlers that cost us four points we'd be assured of it already.

Edited by MikeO

4 more points should be enough, maybe even 3, as long as either 1 or 3 of the points come against the Villa.

Mike is absolutely right. Yes, we're doing it the hard way, but this is a fantastic season for the club. We reached the semi's of CC Cup, had a good run in the UEFA Cup and showed we are on a par with Fiorentina (who are now in the semi's) and are in pole position to have back-to-back seasons in Europe.

The yearly development does still continue..

4 more points should be enough, maybe even 3, as long as either 1 or 3 of the points come against the Villa.

Mike is absolutely right. Yes, we're doing it the hard way, but this is a fantastic season for the club. We reached the semi's of CC Cup, had a good run in the UEFA Cup and showed we are on a par with Fiorentina (who are now in the semi's) and are in pole position to have back-to-back seasons in Europe.

The yearly development does still continue..

It could have been even better, a little outlay in january could have brought maximum rewards. :rolleyes: Chance missed.

We will beat Villa so we don´t need these discussions anymore!

Get your spade out and start digging that hole you might want to jump in and bury yourself next week.

Another 5 goals for Villa today makes it 11 in the last 2 games, is that more than weve scored in our last ten games. ??

They are right in form now and have turned the goal difference completely around in their favour, just waiting for Mike to come in with the Bookies Odds on us getting 5th, I'm assuming they have dropped alarmingly, a bit like our form. :)

....just waiting for Mike to come in with the Bookies Odds on us getting 5th, I'm assuming they have dropped alarmingly, a bit like our form. :)

Glad to oblige Bill. About 5-6. Villa about 5-2. We're still 1-10 for top six (at half time with Pompey 2-1 down and down to ten men).

I'm as worried as anyone :huh: . Just hoping they're right.

Villa's form has hit new highs just at the wrong time for us, fifteen goals in three games after scoring none and getting no points from their previous three (luckily for us)....actually they'd only taken two points from their previous five games.

Funny thing form :huh: .

Anyway was driving home from dropping off my grandson listening to the game getting more and more depressed :( .

Would be so fucking tragic if we blew it all at this stage. Hopefully the ten day break will give the lads the chance to recharge their batteries and get another couple of bodies (Arteta & Ossie) back.

Five man midfield possibly? Fernandes, Arteta, Carsley, Pienaar with Ossie pushing up. Neville, Yobo, Jags and Lescott across the back. Or is that a step backwards?

Glad to oblige Bill. About 5-6. Villa about 5-2. We're still 1-10 for top six (at half time with Pompey 2-1 down and down to ten men).

I'm as worried as anyone :huh: . Just hoping they're right.

Villa's form has hit new highs just at the wrong time for us, fifteen goals in three games after scoring none and getting no points from their previous three (luckily for us)....actually they'd only taken two points from their previous five games.

Funny thing form :huh: .

Anyway was driving home from dropping off my grandson listening to the game getting more and more depressed :( .

Would be so fucking tragic if we blew it all at this stage. Hopefully the ten day break will give the lads the chance to recharge their batteries and get another couple of bodies (Arteta & Ossie) back.

Five man midfield possibly? Fernandes, Arteta, Carsley, Pienaar with Ossie pushing up. Neville, Yobo, Jags and Lescott across the back. Or is that a step backwards?

Thanks Mike, and no i dont think thats a step backwards thats the team that got us where we are (Fernandes for Cahill) its only when the midfielders started dropping like flies that we've gone off track a bit, i still think we will take 5th but its proving a bit of a struggle to get there.

With the form of both teams we could get a right tonking next week :huh:

i disagree i think we're in for a classic..............moyes 1-0 victory (yipee)

Yakubu (no wait he dont score anymore) LESCOTT 24 Minutes BANG, thats it, no more chances we hold 1-0 for the 2nd half Absolutly bore the crap out of everyone there and watching on tv, making us overly tense and nervous after that we'll hear "its the win thats the most important" blah Blah.

if we beat villa we can lose at arsenal anyway as long as we beat newcastle! :)

Edited by Randomness