IGNORED

Government Watchdog Not Impressed

Louis

http://www.keioc.net/index.php?mact=News,c...nt01returnid=15

A recent report, commissioned by Tesco and Everton for Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council from the Government sponsored advisors "Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment" (CABE) has stated the following about Everton’s proposed stadium:

"It is our view that Design and Build contracts can produce successful outcomes only when high quality design is embedded in the process; we do not feel that this has been achieved in this case."

CABE, a Government sponsored think tank which advises the Secretary of State, Hazel Blears, and Andy Burnham’s department of Sport, Media and Culture, concludes their report with the following damning statement on the whole Kirkby development:

"Whilst we welcome the development of the proposed uses on this site we feel that this scheme is, at best, a lost opportunity. The scheme proposed will have a detrimental impact on the town and is not of a standard that Kirkby deserves. This scheme does not meet the criteria in terms of design quality set out in PPS1 and we do not think that it should receive planning permission."

This is yet another major blow to the project and brings the probability of enquiry and planning refusal ever closer. The cultural gulf of misunderstanding displayed by Tesco vis-à-vis the future needs of the current residents of Kirkby are apparent in the above statements. Tesco appear to have no concept whatsoever of a community based shopping facility, which the current town centre with its famous market represents, forming the basis of an evolutionary development for the benefit of the town and its residents as a whole. The promotion of organic entrepreneurial businesses within the proposed shopping facility is difficult to see, this is a core principle backed by the Government.

Read the full report at http://www.scribd.com/doc/2683560/CABE-Report.

"and is not of a standard that Kirkby deserves".

Tesco's only intention is to get their store built. They are using EFC to get the planning permission and its quite obvious that an expensive, or even a half decent Stadium is not part of their plans, 78 million pounds is just a cheap and nasty piece of junk.

C,mon Everton lets have a look at the different options, especially now that LCC are offering some alternatives and trying to be a little more helpful.

i read this and then read the daily post RSS just now and Stopped when i saw this.

Developers St Modwen have also lodged an objection to the major redevelopment of Kirkby town centre, fearing it will have a negative impact on the huge Project Jennifer, in north Liverpool, and another scheme in Skelmersdale.

masterplan.jpg

How the hell could Scotland Road Be Dismissed? :grrr: :angry2:

I know Technically its great homer street getting redone, but add a Stadium at Scotland Road and then Grosvenor Would Fill in the Gap to the City, Would Improve Liverpool Massively.

:lol: some people have more money then sense, and considering the everton board are skint. :o

Edited by Randomness

i read this and then read the daily post RSS just now and Stopped when i saw this.

masterplan.jpg

How the hell could Scotland Road Be Dismissed? :grrr: :angry2:

I know Technically its great homer street getting redone, but add a Stadium at Scotland Road and then Grosvenor Would Fill in the Gap to the City, Would Improve Liverpool Massively.

:lol: some people have more money then sense, and considering the everton board are skint. :o

Just at the right hand end of the plans you can just see the loop site coming into view, would'nt that be a nice gateway to the City and as you come out of the Tunnel.

The business investment and the naming rights would bring in more than the 78 million they think the other heap of scrap metal is going to cost them. Its bloody crazy not to jump at the chance.

With all latest grumblings regarding Kirkby, i'm not too convinced this project will see the light of day. I think Wyness is out of his depth at this level, which worries me ragrding the running of the club, but if the move falls flat on its face, i wont lose one moment of sleep.