IGNORED

Beattie - What A Great Signing!

RuffRob

I want to know if there are any Everton fans out there who have not yet taken to James Beattie?

OK we all know he had a bad start with constant niggling injuries making him struggle to get fit. But that is history and just part of football.

But now he is fit and back to his normal game - I think he has been our most consistent player of the season so far.

Considering he missed the first 10 or so games his goal ratio of 7 in 18 Prems start is not bad considering he is playing a lot of the time as a lone striker.

His performance against Blackburn was superb, and typical of what he has given the team since he has been free of injuries.

I would say he has now earned the chance to wear our number 9 shirt next season.

Great buy Moyes, considering others are paying £6-7M for Crouch, Ashton and some young greek.

Now get a decent quality speed marchent to play off him this summer, and we will have a very good first choice forward line (Pull to stops out for AJ, if Palace don't come up - he has shown by staying with Palace for 12 months that he is also a decent charater with some integrety as well as a decent player)

I've certainly taken to him. Think he is really doing the biz now

Really hope he continues with his game and stays injury free

Certainly dont think he lacks the effort, but I would like to see one of those 30 yards he has produced in the past :)

I agree his work rate is second to none and his recent performances have made him one of our players of the season.

Defo need an AJ along side him or hopefully a Keane or Defoe.

Still needs to work on his finishing, he has missed a couple of easy ones this season. Wouldnt mind a couple of those 30 yarders he is famous for either ZED especially in front of the Kop!

i've been very impressed with his work rate and his strength. as well as that he's been very good getting down the wing and getting some good balls in. unfortunately it's at those times he (or someone else) n eeds to be in the middle!

still lacks some of those instinctive finishes. he's had a few where he's had very little time to get the right shot off and has failed.

i've been very impressed with his work rate and his strength.  as well as that he's been very good getting down the wing and getting some good balls in.  unfortunately it's at those times he (or someone else) n eeds to be in the middle!

still lacks some of those instinctive finishes.  he's had a few where he's had very little time to get the right shot off and has failed.

He's certainly improving but would like to see him drop a few more pounds and become more consistent but he's on his way....

Haven't consulted the stats but has he now scored more (or as many) Premier goals as Crouch, Morientes, Fowler, Pongolle and Cisse combined? If not, it can't be that far off! ;)

Playing better but still undecided.

His effort in the last few games has been second to none. Chasing the ball down all the time he is on the pitch.

Getting there though

he's getting better but he misses more than he gets and thats not a good sign. he puts in the effort and he's strong. the goal he got against chelsea he just seemed to walk thru defenders.

but 7 goals in 18 games is distinctly average. let see his total at the end of the season.

i still think andy Johnson of crystal palace would be a good buy. if palace dont get promoted this year i think he'll be available.

I don't think 7 in 18 is distincitiely average to be honest - 1 every 2.6 games is not a bad strike rate, especially in an Everton team who don't score many as a team, so I think he goal ratio also may suffer becasue of the the way the team play.

But strike rate to one side, its his all around work for the team that is helping us keep other teams out. He is working his socks off, there are plenty of forward out there who score more goals, but offer little else to a team. We may have a striker who scores more but as a conceqence to that we may conceed more.

With regard to missing more than he gets - I think that is the case for most strikers to be honest, its just we have a more microscopic critic of our own player. So we will always feel our player miss more chances than any other becasue it has a bigger impact on us personnally.

I also don't think Beattie get that many chances if front of goal either, as he plays up front a lot on his own - a lot of the time he is involved in making chances rather than finishing them. As a lone striker, defenders concentrate on keeping him out. So he draws defenders, giving the likes of Osman and Cahill more chances.

Sometimes you have to look at the whole picture to make a judgement on a player. Beattie offer so much more to our team than goals, and it would be unfair to judge him on that alone.

He has missed a couple of close range efforts that I wouldnt call sitters by any means, but he certainly doesnt miss more than he gets

Arent we all being too critical

Personally, I think in the past couple of months at the very least he has been playing really well if not longer

Agree and disagree, he is doing what bent done last season and perhaps more in his work rate and you cant faulter him for that he gives 110% each game, which is what we want.

Our expectation levels are higher given he is our record signing and he does miss some of the easier chances that come his way, I dont think we can argue with that. He shows great link up play and the midfielders score more from him (how many assists has he got this season) but he also breaks up play and pressurises opposition defenders must be frightening to see his man boobs coming towards you at full spead.

Current strike Ratio will provide 15 goals a season which IMO is good considering:

He is playing alone upfront

When was the last time one of our strikers score 10+ in a season

The work rate he puts in for the team

We just need a more clinical striker like the ones mentions above to play along side him and then we will see the benifits of Beattie, I for one am happy we signed him and am glad he is proving his critics wrong and im sure before he ends his Everton career Fozzie will say he is good aswell!

Fantastic Player, Especially now he's scored 5 goals at park end :P:P :P :P and 3 at glawdys hahahaaha :P:lol:

none away from home though, that needs resolving.

IMO he's been playing well since The Chelsea Game when he scored the pen, our 1st league home goal of the season, hes been putting 110% effort in ever since.

He has missed a couple of close range efforts that I wouldnt call sitters by any means, but he certainly doesnt miss more than he gets

Arent we all being too critical

Personally, I think in the past couple of months at the very least he has been playing really well if not longer

he has missed a lotta games and thats another bad sign, but it does make his goal scoring average better. every layoff is bad for a striker, he losed a bit of match sharpness.

no-one doubts that he's a hard worker, but he's paid for scoring goals and i think we're looking for around 20 a season from a top striker.

we'll have to wait and see how he finishes this season.

BT's workrate and scoring is coming good since regaining to full fitness.

Scoring 7 vital league goals for the Toffees this season, comparing to last season in which he scored only 1 league goal.

He might end up as Toffees top scorer end of this season, with 10-15 goals if he can keep himself out of injuries.

Keep it going, BT.

he has missed a lotta games and thats another bad sign, but it does make his goal scoring average better. every layoff is bad for a striker, he losed a bit of match sharpness.

no-one doubts that he's a hard worker, but he's paid for scoring goals and i think we're looking for around 20 a season from a top striker.

we'll have to wait and see how he finishes this season.

Is anyone old enough to remember a striker/player who scored 20 goals in the league for us.

My guess is that it was Tony Cottee, or may have even been before his time

What do yas think?