IGNORED

Moyes Unsure Of Future

I think its a question of what you're realistic goals are, to judge your relative success. It's no good comparing Everton and Liverpool on an equal footing, because they have access to much more cash through Champions League revenue, and a larger fanbase.

For Liverpool, they have spent large amounts of cash for years, under Houllier and Benitez, and have gotten no closer to the Prem. In those terms, although they've done well in Europe, they have failed in their main objective. You won't get many Liverpool fans arguing with that. They don't like it when an Everton fan points it out, but its the sort of thing they say to each other.

For us, considering the massive financial gulf between us and the top 4, 5th is realistically the best we can do at the moment. It's a fantastic achievement, and a credit to Moyesy and the players. Also looking at the money spent by Spurs, Newcastle, Man City, West Ham, Pompey it shows again how much more difficult it is to get in the Uefa. So realistically, given what we can aim for, we are a happy club with fans who are happy, knowing we have finished pretty much as high as we can at the moment.

The overall point I think, is to be honest with yourself and your ambitions. That's why us finishing 5th is a real success (and I believe we weren't at all far away from winning the Uefa), and that's why Liverpool have failed again to match their ambitions and aims. If David Moyes was given the money that has been given to Houllier and Benitez over years and years, you can absolutely guarantee we would be closer than Liverpool are to the title.

Good post except you carnt really say it'a a guarantee................. to many ifs and but's...

The big four what does that mean anyway, not so many seasons ago it was the big five, then it was the big two?

In my view there is just a big one, because bar Manchester United who make a profit every year theres not a club in this league who isn't running at a defecit.

Yes breaking into the top four is lucrative because of the revenue from the champions league but who knows what will happen there. Platini wants to reduce all the number of clubs from one country to three by 2010, To spend millions now to break into the top four could be suicidal for any club including those already in the top four.

Everton have made huge steps in the right direction and god willing will continue to gain valuable experience in the Uefa Cup, season after season. Best learn to walk before you learn to run.

In my view there is just a big one, because bar Manchester United who make a profit every year theres not a club in this league who isn't running at a defecit.

Well, I'm willing to bet Derby had a profitable season, seeing as they got a 50 million pound windfall and hardly spent anything on new players. Think Arsenal might be turning a profit too, with all the extra money from that new stadium of theirs, but then they're another club who's usually smart enough not to break the bank trying to sign people. While missing the Champions' League would hurt them in the pocket, of course, they probably wouldn't be in any danger of going into a Leeds-like death spiral from it. Chelsea and Liverpool, on the other hand...

We have to remember Everton have come on leaps and bounds in the last five years both on the pitch and with regards to the financial situation. I would rather be secure financially, or to use a political term 'prudent' than be taken over by some foreign billionaire buying people with no credentials left right and centre, who has the ability to undermine the manager and the club as a whole. Look at Man Citys situation, spent loads last summer, made no footballing improvements, now the Chairmans going against the manager and perhaps most importantly, the fans.

Well, I'm willing to bet Derby had a profitable season, seeing as they got a 50 million pound windfall and hardly spent anything on new players. Think Arsenal might be turning a profit too, with all the extra money from that new stadium of theirs,

EVERY YEAR! I wouldnt expect Derby to make 50 mil every year JD, but I agree Arsenal are a good model for the rest of the league however with an initial lay out of 400 plus million for their lucrative new stadium it may be a couple more years before they feel the full benefit of that revenue. In the meantime they will struggle to keep key players, who can earn twice as much in wages at other clubs than they can at Arsenal.

Well, I'm willing to bet Derby had a profitable season, seeing as they got a 50 million pound windfall and hardly spent anything on new players. Think Arsenal might be turning a profit too, with all the extra money from that new stadium of theirs,

EVERY YEAR! I wouldnt expect Derby to make 50 mil every year JD, but I agree Arsenal are a good model for the rest of the league however with an initial lay out of 400 plus million for their lucrative new stadium it may be a couple more years before they feel the full benefit of that revenue. In the meantime they will struggle to keep key players, who can earn twice as much in wages at other clubs than they can at Arsenal.

er... didn't Man Utd make a huge loss (again) over the last year or so? It was on the back page of the Daily Mail the other day.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1779

We have to remember Everton have come on leaps and bounds in the last five years both on the pitch and with regards to the financial situation. I would rather be secure financially, or to use a political term 'prudent' than be taken over by some foreign billionaire buying people with no credentials left right and centre, who has the ability to undermine the manager and the club as a whole. Look at Man Citys situation, spent loads last summer, made no footballing improvements, now the Chairmans going against the manager and perhaps most importantly, the fans.

thats the problem claire, minus the rooney money we are no better off, we are actually worse.

we are far from financially secure. and the current credit crunch could cause everton serious problems.

and with city, i read in the papers before that they are putting the whole squad on the transfer list so a new manager can start from scratch! madness! petrov, elano, johnson, richards, all for sale!

er... didn't Man Utd make a huge loss (again) over the last year or so? It was on the back page of the Daily Mail the other day.

Yes Carl they did lose money as a club but this doesn't take into account merchandise, these are the figures for the football club alone. Tv rights, ticket sales what have you. When Manchester United start crying poverty we're all up chitty creak.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest once-a-blue!

Yes Carl they did lose money as a club but this doesn't take into account merchandise, these are the figures for the football club alone. Tv rights, ticket sales what have you. When Manchester United start crying poverty we're all up chitty creak.

I am confused - not difficult I admit! Man U are £700m in debt (£114m to a Hedge Fund ffs at a 14.6% interest rate! THAT SHOULD TELL YOU SOMETHING ABOUT THE STATE OF THEIR FINANCES AND THEIR ABILITY TO BORROW MONEY AT COMPETITIVE RATES?) and they lost nearly £70m in year ending 2007 and £140m in year ending 2006. Just Google Manchester United losses if you don't believe me. These figures have been taken directly from their accounts so why do you think they don't include merchandise sales. Somebody else suggested that they don't include payments from Sky! I think the SPIN DOCTORS are at work.