IGNORED

What Are You Reading?

Romey 1878

Just started Blindness by Jose Saramago. Very good so far, would recommend it to anyone else.

I wonder how it's translated.

you know, his style is curious, in portuguese, because he practically (if ever) never uses commas. Makes for some bloddy headaches sometimes, i tell ya. ;)

Anyways, i have a lovecraft compilation and Dune to read, atm.

oh, and I've read Jurassic Park, and it's WAAAAAY better then the movie. both of the books, actually.

I wonder how it's translated.

you know, his style is curious, in portuguese, because he practically (if ever) never uses commas. Makes for some bloddy headaches sometimes, i tell ya. ;)

Anyways, i have a lovecraft compilation and Dune to read, atm.

oh, and I've read Jurassic Park, and it's WAAAAAY better then the movie. both of the books, actually.

It sounds like the translation isn't great. I spoke with one of my friends (who is portuguese) and he read the translated copy looses alot from the original. Which is a shame really. I still really enjoyed the book but i always had in the back of my mind that i wished i could read it in its original form. I do see what you mean about his use of punctuation though, took awhile to get used to it but i do like his style of writing.

I have now just started reading "Seeing".

I always pull up, Josh up for not, using, enough comma's....maybe I should shut, up, and he may, become a famous, writer one, day.

Speaking of strange punctuation, anyone read The Exorcist?

William Peter Blatty uses a lot of short and one word sentences. Honestly. He does. I promise.

I probably shouldn't say this but, I've never seen any of the godfather films.... I can't for the life of me think why not. I guess I just haven't ever got round to it. Perhaps I'll try and get hold of a copy when I've finished the book; for sure I'm not going to before then.

The only place I've been in Italy is Naples, and around the bay. Naples is scary enough for me.

I probably shouldn't say this but, I've never seen any of the godfather films.... I can't for the life of me think why not. I guess I just haven't ever got round to it. Perhaps I'll try and get hold of a copy when I've finished the book; for sure I'm not going to before then.

The only place I've been in Italy is Naples, and around the bay. Naples is scary enough for me.

You're actually in a very good position then. I personally think its much better to read the book before seeing the film. The film is fantastic, but IMO the book is better. I wish i could have read the book before seeing the film though.

You're actually in a very good position then. I personally think its much better to read the book before seeing the film. The film is fantastic, but IMO the book is better. I wish i could have read the book before seeing the film though.

Me, for pretty much the same reasons, prefer the opposite. In my experience, all the books I've read that have been put into film are much better on page then on screen. What I've felt when reading 1st and seeing the film after is dissapointment, since the movie never lived up to the book. I've left the theater with a sinking feeling of "what if"...

In the situations where i've done the reverse, I enjoy both movie and book. The most clear example to me came when I saw "Hunt for Red October", one of the most compelling political thrillers I've ever seen, and ultimately the reason I began reading Tom Clancy. Afterwards, when I read the book i was completely amazes by how much more awesome the book is, and how, despite the film beeing so good, it didn't do it enough justice.

Edited by Sporting4ever

The thing I found is that when I read the book first, I have my own idea of the characters - how they look, talk, act, etc. When I see someone else's interpetation, they rarely live upto my expectations. That's saying nothing about the storyline and all the other stuff that you get from reading that just doesn't fit or come across on screen. Where I've read the book after seeing the film however, the characters I imagine are those same one's from the film, and the experience is slightly different. As a rule though I believe, that the book is better than the film, because you get a greater insight into the story an characters and it comes from your imagination, as opposed to someone else's. However, saying that there are several films that do come close to rivalling their silverscreened double. Shawshank Redemption is one that springs to mind, though I know there are others it's a little too late for me to recall them right now :tired:

Edited by wallwriter

• 4 weeks later...
Im just about to finish "Watership Down". You all must remember the film. It's actually a really good read, I haven't put it down.

Sorry to rumble the thread but yeah Watership Down is a great book. I read it when I was 8 and have read it about two or three times now. Excellent description in-volved. I enjoyed it especially because our school SATS at one time were questions based around Watership Down. I'm looking for something to read other than Kerrang! and OXM Magazine's so I might pick it up again. Has anyone read A Series Of Unfortunate Events?

Around about a month's time it will be my birthday and I'm thinking of picking up and new book for it. I saw Alan Carr's autobiography advertised yesterday and thought that that might be a good laugh. I like his humour on Friday/Sunday Night Project along with Justin Lee Collins so that could be heading my way early November. Would anyone recommend any good autobiographies that they have bought/read. Those are the kinda' books that I enjoy. So I would be interested to see which one's are the better of the pack.

Around about a month's time it will be my birthday and I'm thinking of picking up and new book for it. I saw Alan Carr's autobiography advertised yesterday and thought that that might be a good laugh. I like his humour on Friday/Sunday Night Project along with Justin Lee Collins so that could be heading my way early November. Would anyone recommend any good autobiographies that they have bought/read. Those are the kinda' books that I enjoy. So I would be interested to see which one's are the better of the pack.

I've just been given Al Murrays 'The Pub Landlord's Book of Common Sense' and its brilliant, I just sit and laugh out loud. Its worth a look.

• 2 weeks later...

Homicide by David Simon.

Very good book, by the creator of The Wire, which I must add is very very good show. I've recommended it highly to a few people and everyone should try and see it.

I read a brilliant review of the show the other day, one quote stuck with me. "There are two types of people in the world. Those that love The Wire, and those that havn't watched it yet". Made me laugh anyway.