Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Romey 1878

What Are You Reading?

Recommended Posts

Read so little nowadays but just finished Jenson Button's autobiography; not exactly taxing and it only took three days (started on the plane) but very enjoyable. Love the style it's written in, no doubt by a "ghost", but it's just the way I like to write. Comes across the way he does in person, a really nice bloke, and makes no secret of the fact that he likes a drink:); at the same time being a consummate pro when it's needed. Not a seriously bad word to say about anybody, Hamilton included; he talks about fall outs but then qualifies them by saying he understands or that he and "x" ended up friends. Exception being Jackie Stewart who was scathing in his criticism when JB got his first F1 drive,  ‘I don’t believe you can go straight from kindergarten to university’ he said; he doesn't get another mention in the book after that's quoted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am reading the riot act to the hospital and the dentist at the moment.  They have both cancelled appointments over the past two days and I am going to have a miserable Christmas as a result.

In the way it is meant, I am reading a few sci-fi novels as it is close to Christmas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished 'The Gigante'.  This is the story of John Charles transfer from Leeds United to Juventus in 1957.  Good read which covers the politics of the transfer and the difficulties faced by John Charles and his family in moving to a strange country. Second half of the book covers his first season in Italian football when Juventus went from relegation candidates to league winners. John Charles scored 28 goals in spite of playing several games in defence.  Well researched by author Robert Endeacott and published by Ockley books.

PS  I am not on commission!😀 (though I do get a mention in 'Acknowledgements')

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Dune.  Read the first one and now i'm on book 4 of 6 in the series.  wonderful books, i can see where star wars stole a bunch of stuff from this (it predates star wars)

I didn’t get past the initial trilogy but I was obsessed with it. Utterly stunning piece of literature. I’d love to see it remade as films 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Matt said:

I didn’t get past the initial trilogy but I was obsessed with it. Utterly stunning piece of literature. I’d love to see it remade as films 

It is, November is the first movie.  Honestly the dialogue and inner dialogue is so deep in the books (1000 pages!) I’m not expecting much movie wise.  

 

I dont think there was a trilogy.  It’s always been 6 books, that’s how many he finished before he died.  Like you say I am obsessed as well.  I started 2 weeks ago and I have been reading them non stop.  He is a wonderful writer that really takes you into the mind of each character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

It is, November is the first movie.  Honestly the dialogue and inner dialogue is so deep in the books (1000 pages!) I’m not expecting much movie wise.  

 

I dont think there was a trilogy.  It’s always been 6 books, that’s how many he finished before he died.  Like you say I am obsessed as well.  I started 2 weeks ago and I have been reading them non stop.  He is a wonderful writer that really takes you into the mind of each character.

There was an initial trilogy (Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune), which then got expanded. There’s a load of prequels written by his son (I think) too, doing history on the houses etc  

What impressed me most was the detail in that reality; languages, economics, ecology on top of the storyline... it’s mind blowing 

thanks for the heads up on the film. Cant be worse that the 80s one! The sci-fi channels series were quite good though considering a massively limited budget (if I remember correctly)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Matt said:

There was an initial trilogy (Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune), which then got expanded. There’s a load of prequels written by his son (I think) too, doing history on the houses etc  

What impressed me most was the detail in that reality; languages, economics, ecology on top of the storyline... it’s mind blowing 

thanks for the heads up on the film. Cant be worse that the 80s one! The sci-fi channels series were quite good though considering a massively limited budget (if I remember correctly)

Ah I didn’t know that.  For the record book 2 was not great but books 1 and 3 were excellent.  Book 4 is right up there with 1 and 3 so far I’m halfway through.  

 

Yeah im going to pass on the sons writing, just want to read the main series and then hope the movies are decent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

Ah I didn’t know that.  For the record book 2 was not great but books 1 and 3 were excellent.  Book 4 is right up there with 1 and 3 so far I’m halfway through.  

 

Yeah im going to pass on the sons writing, just want to read the main series and then hope the movies are decent.

The history of the Harkonnen was quite interesting, give a lot of insight. I’ll have a look for the 4-5th books :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, rubecula said:

my favourite pastime is reading  or it was when my eyes were ok  sadly after  the cataract surgery I can not do it now.

 

Audiobook mate. It can’t be the same but you could at least enjoy a new story

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oddly I can see well enough to read if the book is far enough away and the letters are big enough  lol  but the idea of audiobooks I  good  if I can try it out  I will let you know.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, rubecula said:

oddly I can see well enough to read if the book is far enough away and the letters are big enough  lol  but the idea of audiobooks I  good  if I can try it out  I will let you know.

 

i have a friend that loves to read but prefers audiobooks.  if it's a well known book they get famous voice actors to do the parts and they do all the parts in different voices so it sounds like different people.  supposed to be very well put together.  i haven't heard one myself, i still enjoy the tactile old paperback :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i have a friend that loves to read but prefers audiobooks.  if it's a well known book they get famous voice actors to do the parts and they do all the parts in different voices so it sounds like different people.  supposed to be very well put together.  i haven't heard one myself, i still enjoy the tactile old paperback :)

thanks for that info mjb

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i have a friend that loves to read but prefers audiobooks.  if it's a well known book they get famous voice actors to do the parts and they do all the parts in different voices so it sounds like different people.  supposed to be very well put together.  i haven't heard one myself, i still enjoy the tactile old paperback :)

I recorded loads back in their early days:). Very enjoyable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...