IGNORED

Central Defence Pairing.

MikeO

Picking up on a question from another thread, who would be your starting pair (if all three are fit)?

Question of keeping them all happy.

Lescott can play left back (but would rather not, and that would still cause a problem betting Baines into the team).

Joey can play at right back. (OS..."Yobo's pace and versatility (he can play at right back and in central defence as well as midfield) was also a factor in his switch from the French giants as the Blues boss sought to bring the best young talent to Goodison")

Jags can supposedly play in many positions but was decidedly iffy anywhere other than centre back last year....though maybe now his confidence is up he could be OK.

I think on performences from last season I would have to go with Yobo and Jags.... I guess Lescott will have a couple of games to change DM mind.... Lescott IMO is a better left back than Baines, defensively and attacking.... ok LB final ball into the box is better... maybe he just hasnt had a "good" run in the team to prove otherwise... Some tough choices ahead for moyes...... shame we dont have the same problem at right back urgh!!!!

Again.... slightly off topic but relevant to your post MikeO... Without Neville in the team who would provide are drive and passion.. I know hes frustrating alot of the time but we dont really have another leader in the team...

Take your point....I'm not one of the rabid anti-Pip brigade and I'm quite happy for him to play at right back for the moment.

TC maybe?

Yobo and another for me, he's been our best defender for 2 years running imo. He's the quickest, best in the air and isn't caught ball watching as often as Lescott at CB. Jags goes well with Yobo so probably get the nod ahead of Lescott for me, they have the perfect combination of grit and grace, pace and heart. Lescott doesn't look solid enough at CB on his performances so far. If Yobo could become more confident going forward he has all the attributes to be a brilliant RB, but he has looked uncomfortable there to date.

Edited by carlmc25

im with carl that yobo has to be there. but for me, as well as jags has played, lescott everytime. ive heard quite a few people say hes not been great at centre back, but i disagree, i think he has been fantastic every time hes been centre, just as good as when hes been left back imo

on reflection i think that jags an yobo at CB would be best bet, but why does everyone say yobo is the most reliable? i think he's a bit too casual on the ball at times, but he is a solid defender, and quick as f*ck. then lescott LB (well in steveo), shame bainsey doesnt break in cos he is a good attacking defender. Neville at RB who can then overlap arteta. Sweet. B)

I know it's a bit radical but what if we didn't go for a central pairing and went 3 5 2?

Lescott Jags Yobo

Baines playing left wing back

Bring in a right wing back

M'bia def mid

Sell Johno and bring in a centre forward.

Sorted. Done. Someone email Moyes.

I know it's a bit radical but what if we didn't go for a central pairing and went 3 5 2?

Lescott Jags Yobo

Baines playing left wing back

Bring in a right wing back

M'bia def mid

Sell Johno and bring in a centre forward.

Sorted. Done. Someone email Moyes.

How about Neville right back, Lescott and Jags in the middle and Baines left back with Joey playing in Carsley's old position. I remember we played Joey in midfield a few times down the years. Joey would then be our first line of defence....just a thought.

Edited by Mikels Left Tezzer

If Yobo was good in right back then i think we would be sorted. Moyes should be playing Yobo in right back for these friendlies an Neville in DM because if the defence went...

Yobo-Jags-Lescott-Baines

Neville

There would be no need to get a replacment for Cars... Thats if Neville was good in dm wake up Josh! It would be good if that could be our lineup though.

• 2 weeks later...

i agree with josh and heather, we should definately try joey at right back, if it doesnt work move him back to the centre and maybe even try jags at right back. im looking forward to seeing more of baines play this season, in the times i saw him last season i thought he was fantastic for us