IGNORED

Round Says We're Ready For The Opener.

This is called Coach Speak, which is defined in the sports fan's dictionary as:

1. A version of English that is designed to be polite, generally vague and overly positive for the the media and fans, and to not offend anybody in public, especially their own team or a rival team. Used by all coaches when talking to the media. 2. The verbal art of making even the worst situation sound like sunshine and daisies.

ex. of Coach Speak: Joe was a horse tonight. He worked hard and he made some really good plays for us.

Translation: Joe had a few good plays going forward, but mostly he played like he had the brains of a horse. He wasted too much energy chasing the ball around and got caught way out of position on their second goal.

Coach Speak isn't really lying and it has nothing to do with him being a prick or not (all coaches employ Coach Speak no matter if they're nice guys or complete a**holes). It's more akin to being polite and friendly to someone for the sake of civility when saying everything that's really on your mind would not be a very smart idea. Like having a mother-in-law who really gets on your nerves sometimes, but still being polite to her out of respect to your wife.

What the fuck do you expect him to say?

"We're really struggling for numbers and confidence and I expect us to lose."

Good grief.

Well he could have been truthful about what he is saying.

Maybe not the bit about the "expect us to lose bit" because nobody would say that when we are clearly on a low but even Moyes and Kenwright has said we are struggling for players and thats not lying :)

I agree StevO just getting the confidence up probably but still he could be truthful about some of what were saying. :(

Well he could have been truthful about what he is saying.

Maybe not the bit about the "expect us to lose bit" because nobody would say that when we are clearly on a low but even Moyes and Kenwright has said we are struggling for players and thats not lying :)

I agree StevO just getting the confidence up probably but still he could be truthful about some of what were saying. :(

clearly you are not in a managerial position in business as moral of your stuff would be shit.

He's not kidding anybody by saying things like that, we all know we are nowhere near ready and the players know it even moreso, when they see the squad has been depleted and no players have been brought in to replace them, having to resort to bringing 16 and 17 year old Kids in just to make up the numbers, they must think the same as us.

What a plonker, he would have been better keeping his mouth shut and saying nothing.

clearly you are not in a managerial position in business as moral of your stuff would be shit.

You obviously don't get what I am saying.

Say if I had a team and we were selling a product and it wasnt going well and morale was low I would say to them "The product ain't selllin well but we've got to keep are heads up and bring new ideas in to improve it"

I am not lying to the team I am trying to improve there morale but in this situation Round is doing both! Which I think is stupid.

You dont have to lie to get morale up.

You obviously don't get what I am saying.

Say if I had a team and we were selling a product and it wasnt going well and morale was low I would say to them "The product ain't selllin well but we've got to keep are heads up and bring new ideas in to improve it"

I am not lying to the team I am trying to improve there morale but in this situation Round is doing both! Which I think is stupid.

You dont have to lie to get morale up.

So what's he lying about?

It was a really good test for us and our yong lads stood up to it well. - PSV are a champ league team so our young team did stand up well to them.

It was great to get JY and Yak another 90 minutes. - It was.

I thought in the end it was a fair result. - I agree.

We had a lot of chances but they had a lot of possession in the middle of the field. - We had a lot of promise up their end without the end product (chances!) and they did have a lot of possession without really threatening on too many occasions.

The Everton boss has made no secret of his intention to add new faces to his ranks in the weeks ahead. - True.

But in the interim the Blues' young up-and-coming talent has been given a chance to shine. - Correct.

And the likes of Jack Rodwell, Dan Gosling, Jose Baxter and Lukas Jutkiewicz have impressed the coaching staff. - Well Steve Rounds in the position to say if he's impressed.

Our younger players have really given a good account of themselves in pre-season and given the manager selection problems. - We've had 16 year olds throughout the team all pre-season, so this is true.

Phil is calling himself Phil Jack-of-all-trades - he's got great versatility and is a great guy. - A bit cheesey but true.

He has great energy and enthusiasm and is a real presence. - Agree.

Sorry Josh, can't see too many lies here. You keep doing your job so Steve Round can relax that his jobs safe for now.

Think the breakdown here is that Josh read the headline, "Round Says We're Ready For The Opener" but neglected to read the article where he'd have found that Round didn't in fact say that at all.

If you'd had a go at the OS headline writer you'd have had no argument Josh ;) .

besides arsene wenger is a kiddie fiddler and that guy is always in the top 4, so we have a few 16/17 year olds, vaughan ring a bell? how bout rooney?

these guys broke records for youngest players to score in the league, whose says baxter can't....

its a bad situation but it's hardly the worst, we'll probably get knocked out of europe but that will let us focus on getting 4th. And CSKA and sporting and half the other clubs might feel differently in the next transfer window, up untilt hen we dont have too bad a run fo games that we cant keep up....

To add a little optimism. I don't think we were awful on sat against PSV. I know it was just a friendly, bt they are a CL side and we still managed to scrape a draw. I'd be satisfied with a point on saturday considering.

On the other hand I definitely think we need to get something from the game. If we fail to take any points, I think there will be some kind of backlash from the fans and demand for answers. It really is atrocious that we have taken backwards steps in terms of squad developement over the summer. Bearing in mind the achievements last year and buzzing expectation everyone had at the end of the season, I feel a little let down that the whole bubble has burst, and the brimming excitement I had has turned into troubled concern and fear. I'm looking forward to watching match of the day on saturday for the simple reason that I'm hoping they'll have an interview with Moyesy and he'll answer some of our worries as to what exactly is happening behind the scenes at Goodison.

Going back to the optimism I started with, well, it's difficult I know but, putting aside the bring your protest and such like, we still need to get behind our boys and ensure Goodison remains a fortress, and I'm sure that if we all get behind and play the twelfth man, than perhaps next week we'll be saying we have the best academy and set of youngsters in the league. Who knows but here's hoping...... the eternal optimist.