Ian

Longest Thread!

Grandson got his A level results today which got him into his first choice Uni - Liverpool! He's over the moon, particularly as he's got his season ticket at Goodison.

Great news John! What's he studying? Tell me it's not politics or journalism please :P.

Great news John! What's he studying? Tell me it's not politics or journalism please :P.

Business economics. Thanks for your good wishes guys, will pass them on. Been trying to get him on here for some time, just think he has been too busy. Will keep working at it.

Liverpool Uni. Thanks aaron, will pass your congrats on.

OOOOOO as a LJMU Alumni I may have to take back that congrats... :lol: Only joking. Hopefully he does well there and enjoys himself.

Heard today that my older brother (who is in the cloth mob) is moving back, permanently, to Liverpool on 1st September (after 66 years away). Hoping to get up there to visit him and get to Goodison along with son and grandson.

Just had a visit from daughter-in-law, she who takes Charlie to Goodison when son can't. She works for BSI and is flying out to North Carolina tomorrow and then down to Puerto Rico. All on business. She does get about a bit. All over Europe and India and China in the Far East.

Just had a visit from daughter-in-law, she who takes Charlie to Goodison when son can't. She works for BSI and is flying out to North Carolina tomorrow and then down to Puerto Rico. All on business. She does get about a bit. All over Europe and India and China in the Far East.

One of my wife's brothers lives in NC. Spurs fan, what a dope.

OOOOOO as a LJMU Alumni I may have to take back that congrats... :lol: Only joking. Hopefully he does well there and enjoys himself.

Me too, happy days spent in the Byrom street bar

Someone building a new house on a plot in my village, not a developer just a bloke on his own with the help of a mate as far as I can see; and you know what? He's built a shed at the back of it even before digging foundations, a man with his priorities sorted:P. Keep meaning to take a photo, love it.

9 hours ago, MikeO said:

Someone building a new house on a plot in my village, not a developer just a bloke on his own with the help of a mate as far as I can see; and you know what? He's built a shed at the back of it even before digging foundations, a man with his priorities sorted:P. Keep meaning to take a photo, love it.

Got to have somewhere for your tea break. 

What a day. Up at five and left home at 5.45 for a 7.30 appt for my four year old grandson in Bristol (see also Spurs matchday thread). Day case surgery, we were there for eight hours; then I had to take him and his mum home to Paignton, stopping off to pick up another grandson who was going over for the week-end. Motorway was crap, Paignton was flooded, been home about fifteen minutes; in the wise words of Counting Crows, "Pass me a bottle, Mr. Jones!"

Oh, and he went into complete meltdown when they tried to put the wristband on him! From there it was downhill.

Highly thought provoking and controversial article this, but personally (probably get flamed for this) I have sympathy for these people. In my opinion nobody makes a conscious choice as to who they're attracted to to, it's hard wired in the brain; I've always been attracted to shorter women for example (among other attributes) but I could just as easily have been gay. To have an attraction you have no control over that's illegal and to not act on it because you know it's wrong must be a difficult way to live. I have no sympathy for those that do act on it though obviously.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41213657

59 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Highly thought provoking and controversial article this, but personally (probably get flamed for this) I have sympathy for these people. In my opinion nobody makes a conscious choice as to who they're attracted to to, it's hard wired in the brain; I've always been attracted to shorter women for example (among other attributes) but I could just as easily have been gay. To have an attraction you have no control over that's illegal and to not act on it because you know it's wrong must be a difficult way to live. I have no sympathy for those that do act on it though obviously.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41213657

There was a bloke in This Morning saying similar. I can't find the clip though, saw it on fb. Must be horrible. 

Tablet's been playing up so I just bought one of these...

https://www.tesco.com/direct/hp-116-stream-11-aa000na-x360-intel-celeron-2gb-ram-32gb-storage-blue-laptop-with-office-365-and-1tb-onedrive-storage/537-3507.prd?skuId=537-3507

...in Tesco's. Could've got it a few quid cheaper if I'd got it online I've since found but it was an impulse buy. All set up now, clever little toy:).

Dreadfully sad this but I'm at a loss to understand something.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-41452014

Apparently the guy died saving his wife by jumping on top of her when he saw what was coming; but it was a "granite sheet measuring about 40m (131ft) by 20m (65ft)" falling from 200m up. How does a human body deflect that?

Just had a letter from the Department for work and pensions telling me when I can start to claim my pension; it's May 15th 2026 and they'll write to me nearer the time to let me know how to go about it. Eight and a half years away? What a waste of some minor civil servant's time and paper. Absurd.

OK indulge me here; tried to discuss this with the wife but she told me to bugger off because she's watching TV ("go and talk about it on your Everton site" is actually what she said:D).

So; saw on the news that for the first time ever a female nipple was shown on daytime TV today in an ad about breast cancer awareness. Then I thought that male nipples are on TV all the time; realise that the female boob has become sexualised so understand the distinction but it led me to wonder why us blokes had them in the first place since they serve no purpose'

Hit google.

"As embryos in the womb, males and females have similar tissues and body parts. In fact, all embryos start out as female, which is why nipples are present in both sexes.

In boys, the Y chromosome and the hormone testosterone bring about changes to the embryo, including the growth of the penis and testicles. However, because the nipples have already developed before the sex of the baby is determined, the nipples stay. These vestigial nipples have no functional use."

We were all girls once! Who knew?

Anyway, apologise for wasting your time with this trivia but my wife is to blame:lol:.

Find this really strange, guy suspended after, "...the first minister learned of a number of alleged incidents involving women..." kills himself and suddenly he's universally beloved.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-41904161

Is it not at all possible, or even probable, that someone who takes their own life after unspecified allegations does so because they realise that the truth is going to come out? Why kill yourself if you've done nothing wrong?

4 hours ago, MikeO said:

Find this really strange, guy suspended after, "...the first minister learned of a number of alleged incidents involving women..." kills himself and suddenly he's universally beloved.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-41904161

Is it not at all possible, or even probable, that someone who takes their own life after unspecified allegations does so because they realise that the truth is going to come out? Why kill yourself if you've done nothing wrong?

Just said the same thing to the Mrs. Give it a week or two until the full details come out and then see if they say the same things.

Guy has a case containing £1m worth of gems and he sticks it on a luggage rack on a train; it apparently gets stolen before the train leaves the station (Euston). He doesn't notice until his train reaches Warwickshire:huh:. I think in the circumstances I'd probably have kept an eye on it; actually more than an eye, I'd have kept on my lap. Numpty.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41971389

10 hours ago, MikeO said:

Guy has a case containing £1m worth of gems and he sticks it on a luggage rack on a train; it apparently gets stolen before the train leaves the station (Euston). He doesn't notice until his train reaches Warwickshire:huh:. I think in the circumstances I'd probably have kept an eye on it; actually more than an eye, I'd have kept on my lap. Numpty.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41971389

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has it's limits....

All set to do a week-ends babysitting while daughter and her partner go to London/Portsmouth tomorrow and Saturday and come home Sunday afternoon, daughter has just phoned to tell me she screwed the National Express booking so instead of being off at 9.40 tomorrow she's booked the 9.40 Saturday coach:rolleyes:. She's currently on hold on the phone seeing if she can make the change. Dozy mare takes after her mother:doh: (I never said that OK?).

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

All set to do a week-ends babysitting while daughter and her partner go to London/Portsmouth tomorrow and Saturday and come home Sunday afternoon, daughter has just phoned to tell me she screwed the National Express booking so instead of being off at 9.40 tomorrow she's booked the 9.40 Saturday coach:rolleyes:. She's currently on hold on the phone seeing if she can make the change. Dozy mare takes after her mother:doh: (I never said that OK?).

You sounded like Alf Garnett for a minute there, Mike0.:D

59 minutes ago, johnh said:

You sounded like Alf Garnett for a minute there, Mike0.:D

:lol:She's sorted it happily for her (not so much for me; thought I might have quiet time without a 2 and 3 year old; love them to bits but smaller doses are better:huh:).