IGNORED

Longest Thread!

Ian

I would if I were you. I'd go straight into work from 16 if I could go back. Degrees mean naff all nowadays, too many people have them. It makes it worse imo when people go to uni just to get a degree rather than go into uni to further there chance of getting into the profession they want to get into. And in all honesty, the return you get for being in uni isn't half as good as what I expected. I got mounting debts where as some of my mate (ok not that intelligent ones) are already on the property ladder with a nice car and making a nice little living. Where as I'm broke, by the time I finish uni I'll be 20 grand in debt, plus I've been told that to get anywhere nowadays you need a masters. Sod that off for fishcakes, I'm not doing 6 years in Journalism studies with three journalism qualifications, no sir, no thank you. Wouldnt' mind but the modules we are doing, over half of them are a waste of time as it';s nothing to do with the course I'm doing. Fucking ridicilous this university malarky, get yaself a nice job with a good company and your sorted...

thing is if you do what 1million other people are doing in uni's around the country there are bound to be people better than you at it.

thing to do is find a loophole where you know not many people will be doing that and make yourself the best at it.

what my uncle did, he's now the best in the country at laser surgery (so he says, but i know for a fact he is one of the best)

I chose my Uni degree on the basis of job prospects as opposed to a piss around. Fair enough a degree in Television and Radio isnt as strenuose as others, but the experience I am gaining and the oppertunities that have arisin is only due to me doing the degree. I tried for work experience at my local radio station and they allowed me to do it on the basis that I was doing a degree and so I wasnt there to arse around. I went in at 6 in the morning when it was my own tusing!!! Doing the course has made me realise my ambition and I hope over the next 2 years I can gain more experience and hopefully gain job offers. The debts are going to be crippling but at the rate you pay it back I'm not panicing yet. At first I wished I'd just gone into employment but Im now glad because when I go home and see my friends in the working world they are all depressed because money controls their lives, I dont have to worry for another couple of years :D, well almost lol. I'd urge anyone with ambition to seriously consider Uni.

It's not a question of ambition and I certainly weren't saying you were in uni to piss around, but majority of people at uni I've spoke to aren't sure what they want to do when finished at uni. I want to become a Sports Journalism, always have and so far always will, but in this day and age its not the same as it was a couple of years ago. The fact that people are being told to get masters now to distinguish themselves from the ever increasin average joe with a degree says it all. I did my work experience too but I can honestly say that the work experience was not that much useful. I never really learned anything from the 12 weeks I did (6 weeks per year) to what I already knew.

You have to admit people go uni just to escape getting a real job, if I knew that I could have got into journalism earlier if I did it another way I'd certainly preferred to do that.

Your friends may be working, but they're getting paid for it. A couple of my friends have already bought themselves a house, they never went uni but went straight into work at 16. Sure it was tough for them back then, especially when they saw us lot at college not doing anything all day, but I'm sure they're the ones laughing now. Especially when I don't think I'll ever be able to get on the house market and while paying off my debts the money which will go on rent will be dead money.

Oh no dont get me wrong, I didnt intend to have a go at you, I simply ment I always saw Uni as the logical choice becasue I wanted to do more than get a job. My dads a mechanic and he has drilled it into me (in a good way) that he wants more for me in life than to follow in his foot steps, that was the point of me getting a degree. My course and yours for journalism is probably more focused around experience in the industry, like most of my tutors never went to uni for it, they just got in the industry. But that was a long time ago and this industrys changed. I thought uni the best route. Although I do think sometimes it would have been nice, as you say, to be in the working world, although with no offensce to any one who has a hands on job, I just wanted more.

Can see your point and my dads a builder so he wanted me to go uni, but what I just think uni is so different from a couple of years ago.

One a seperate not what I find stupid is that there is a degree for anything, even heard of one studying David Beckham. But I don't see why you need a qualification these days so much. Take, for example, my mate. He works for the council going round on his tractor thing cutting crass etc. he loves it but they now have him doing a HND in something or other. When he gets it his wages automatically go up. Now he said that although he knows what to do it's finding it hard to put it in words and on paper. Now he's not the most academic person but he's still judged by a qualification like everyone else. All his bosses haven't qualifications as they learnt it through experience. Another prime example is my dad, he owns his own building company (albiet its on a max 3 man workforce) but he hasn't one qualification to his name yet is a successful builder. Yet there are courses now to become a bricklayer.

What I'm getting at is why is everyone so fussed about qualifications? It's fair to say that most people who go into the building trade or gardening path are not academic people and left school at 16 so why do they need a qualification to do a job that for so long hasn't needed one. In my dad's opinion the only experience is important to become a good builder, even he doesn't agree with all these courses.

Spot on that. My dads been doing his job for 40 years but as soon as someone comes into the garage having done a course on it, there automatically up the pecking order. Unfortuantly for us I think we are now faced with getting qualifications and the experiecne that we acieve with them in order to succeed.

What year and what Uni are you at True Blue??

Im finishing up my fourth year and still am not done yet with university. Its going to take me another year to get my undergrad degree than I plan on going to grad school. Looking at atleast 3 more years of school, which is fine with me at the moment.

It has been a long time. I am 22 at the moment but won't be finished with my undergrad degree until I am 23. If all goes well it won't be until atleast 25 or 26 until I finish grad school and finish university completely, if I do decide to go. I started first grade elementary at 5 years old or so haha. I can't remember not being in school. Although it is becoming more common for people to take longer than 4 years to graduate university here in the States. I don't know if it is similar there or not but it seems like you guys start university at a younger age.

i went to unifor 4 yrs until i was 22, and only just finished off paying the feckin loans last april!

oh yes..i just turned 30 today,so am in depression!

BG, wait until the grey pubes kick in, that is real reason to become down in the dumps.

Many happy returns for the day BTW.

ATB

Mac

meant to be going a beach party today, doesnt look like im going atm, no one to go with to it. i dont know anyone whos there except one person, so i got told to bring mates, and they have all pussied out. one even said he is revising today instead of going. felt like slapping him like.

what you all upto? seeing as a few are off this week

meant to be going a beach party today, doesnt look like im going atm, no one to go with to it. i dont know anyone whos there except one person, so i got told to bring mates, and they have all pussied out. one even said he is revising today instead of going. felt like slapping him like.

what you all upto? seeing as a few are off this week

iM IN WORK, stop trying to wind me up :D

Anyway, it wouldnt be much of a beach party, its freezing

freezing my arse its bloody hot where i am. blue skies and warm weather! lol

it was shite anyway, no ale (i started walking when i heard that!) no music and i only knew one person there.

Still better than being in work, today was what seemed the longest day of my life, cracking headache all day, moaning customer, moaning coleages and moaning me :angry:

Antway, mustn't grumble :angry:

Ello peeps I'm back :D did you miss me?? Notice I was absent?? Even give a fook??? :unsure:

Well I'v been offline at home and we just moved offices to a brand spanking building so my days of internet surfing are a thing of the distant past but I'm happy to say I'm back up and running at home and glad to be back within the walls of my favorite corner of cyber space.

Much love TT, Liam xx

Am sure in good given time one will work a way around the Net surfing thing mate ;) Always nice 2 be back up & running isnt it :)

P.s Zed, Did I mention I had another shitty winters day 2day. Deep Blue sky, Gloriuos sunshine, Gorgeous long white cloud & 28 Deg Cels. Damn, another year wifout the thermals. :baaasmiley:

:upsidedown: <- Should that be the official Oz Smiley face ?

overcast, cool and forecasted for rain...frickin brilliant.

I just know when my annual leave finished no 11th June, the weather will be at an all time best. On the plus side though, after a midwife visit, my parents have taken my 2 week old boy for the day...silence is golden...!

:)

Am sure in good given time one will work a way around the Net surfing thing mate ;) Always nice 2 be back up & running isnt it :)

P.s Zed, Did I mention I had another shitty winters day 2day. Deep Blue sky, Gloriuos sunshine, Gorgeous long white cloud & 28 Deg Cels. Damn, another year wifout the thermals. :baaasmiley:

:upsidedown: <- Should that be the official Oz Smiley face ?

Sounds like the summer we had

1 day in late april :angry: