Jump to content
Ian

Longest Thread!

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I watched EFC when Jimmy Harris was playing,  his Brother Brian Harris also played around the same time, Jimmy was a striker, Brian was a midfielder. Not bad players.

Funny enough he told me that he wasn't related to Brian.... loads of people thought they were related but they came from the wirral and had same surname and made debut together. 

Telling you bill... for his age he looked superb.  Really nice fella..... said he earned more money working for Vauxhalls when he retired than he did as a professional footballer.  How times have changed. He used to do a brisk walk round the top of the ferry on route to the game for the evening kickoffs to get focused and warmed up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

haf i love a good sauna session, i love talking to people in there and meeting people.  enjoying this story

You need something to keep you entertained whilst sweating ya balls off!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems his finest hours were after he left us!

"Harris was sold to Birmingham City for a fee of £20,000. He was the club's top scorer in each of his first two seasons at Birmingham City, and in four years scored 53 goals in 113 games in all competitions. He played in their 1960-61 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup campaign when they reached the final against A.S. Roma, and was largely responsible for them getting that far. In the semi-final against Inter Milan he scored three times, including the first goal of the 2–1 win at the San Siro, the only time Inter had lost at home to an English club until Arsenal repeated the feat over forty years later. He won his only major medal when he played on the winning side in the 1963 Football League Cup Final."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hafnia said:

Anyone recall a Jimmy Harris who played for us? JohnH I'm guessing will have done. 

The other day i struck up a conversation with a very fit looking older gentleman in the sauna... yes sounds dodgy but anyway.....  I was talking to the lad next to me about the red shite playing Bayern munich.... and this old fella mentions that he played near 200 ganes for Everton.   I asked him who he was and he told me.....

Very nice bloke.  He politely swerved my prompts to get stuck into pickford, lukaku, and any other figure of hate I have in a blue shirt.... and mentioned how he used to get the ferry over to the game.  Lives on the wirral and to be fair if anyone looks in the nick he is at 85 then they must have been some athlete in their day.  Really nice bloke and nice to talk to a good servantof the club who I wasn't even aware of. 

No Haf,  Jimmy Harris was just after my time.  I moved from Liverpool in 1951 and lost touch a bit as I couldn't get to games.  The only name I can remember which made an impression on me after we moved was Dave Hickson.  Often wished he'd played when I went to Goodison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hafnia said:

Anyone recall a Jimmy Harris who played for us? JohnH I'm guessing will have done. 

The other day i struck up a conversation with a very fit looking older gentleman in the sauna... yes sounds dodgy but anyway.....  I was talking to the lad next to me about the red shite playing Bayern munich.... and this old fella mentions that he played near 200 ganes for Everton.   I asked him who he was and he told me.....

Very nice bloke.  He politely swerved my prompts to get stuck into pickford, lukaku, and any other figure of hate I have in a blue shirt.... and mentioned how he used to get the ferry over to the game.  Lives on the wirral and to be fair if anyone looks in the nick he is at 85 then they must have been some athlete in their day.  Really nice bloke and nice to talk to a good servantof the club who I wasn't even aware of. 

Fair play mate amazing what can happen when you least expect it, did you mention you new a couple of blokes that don’t rate Gana 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hafnia said:

Funny enough he told me that he wasn't related to Brian.... loads of people thought they were related but they came from the wirral and had same surname and made debut together. 

Telling you bill... for his age he looked superb.  Really nice fella..... said he earned more money working for Vauxhalls when he retired than he did as a professional footballer.  How times have changed. He used to do a brisk walk round the top of the ferry on route to the game for the evening kickoffs to get focused and warmed up. 

Yeah I've just found its not true Haf, I and many others at the time really believed they were Brothers, both made their  1st appearance on the same day  and both came from the Wirral which added creedence to the thought.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a birthday card from my brother (tomorrow St Paddys day) It says  'For a Footy Fan, inside this card are 3 words every footy-fan wants to hear'    Inside the card it says:

                                                                                                                 MANCHESTER UTD NIL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, johnh said:

Got a birthday card from my brother (tomorrow St Paddys day) It says  'For a Footy Fan, inside this card are 3 words every footy-fan wants to hear'    Inside the card it says:

                                                                                                                 MANCHESTER UTD NIL.

Happy birthday John🎂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, johnh said:

Thanks Palfy.  Had a really great day in spite of managing to stay sober!  A win for the boys as well.

Glad to hear, old man :P happy birthday!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matt said:

Glad to hear, old man :P happy birthday!

Thanks Matt.  Son-in-law (also Matt) sorted out some Computer issues for me.  Had super lunch with my two daughters and their families (oh, and her indoors!) Got a lovely bottle of single malt and a couple of bottles of red.  All topped off with a nice win for the lads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, johnh said:

Thanks Palfy.  Had a really great day in spite of managing to stay sober!  A win for the boys as well.

Pleased to hear it mate a double celebration birthday and a win, bit disappointed you stayed sober must be getting sensible in your old age or do I mean boring😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Palfy said:

Pleased to hear it mate a double celebration birthday and a win, bit disappointed you stayed sober must be getting sensible in your old age or do I mean boring😀

Must be boring Palfy!  I have never been drunk in my life, don't want to break the habit of a lifetime.🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/03/2019 at 11:24, johnh said:

Must be boring Palfy!  I have never been drunk in my life, don't want to break the habit of a lifetime.🙂

 

8 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Me neither. Many happy returns, John. 

How does one define "drunk" though? John you've mentioned on several occasions that you've had gifts of malt and wine and partaken so you have plainly at times been "under the influence" of alcohol to some extent, Steve I don't know. When does one become the other? I know when I've had long periods off "the sauce" that the smallest amount can make me daft; not challenging or looking for an answer, just thinking out loud.

For me now the "evil" is caffeine, I stopped any intake not for health reasons but because I can't tolerate hot drinks any more. On Zakynthos last year I had a (cooled) Greek coffee to try to wake myself a bit after early morning/long drive and flight and it completely destroyed my head; had to sit for well in excess of an hour as we were several miles from our accommodation and there was no way I could drive until it had worn off. Hated that feeling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, MikeO said:

 

How does one define "drunk" though? John you've mentioned on several occasions that you've had gifts of malt and wine and partaken so you have plainly at times been "under the influence" of alcohol to some extent, Steve I don't know. When does one become the other? I know when I've had long periods off "the sauce" that the smallest amount can make me daft; not challenging or looking for an answer, just thinking out loud.

For me now the "evil" is caffeine, I stopped any intake not for health reasons but because I can't tolerate hot drinks any more. On Zakynthos last year I had a (cooled) Greek coffee to try to wake myself a bit after early morning/long drive and flight and it completely destroyed my head; had to sit for well in excess of an hour as we were several miles from our accommodation and there was no way I could drive until it had worn off. Hated that feeling.

I've swapped alcohol for caffeine.... alcohol was becoming a problem for me.  Not in the sense that I was drinking in mornings and stuff but I was drinking to get through stress- then when I had a hangover I would have a few hairs of dogs.  I actually tried something I seen in menshealth - naltrexone.   Take one an hour before drinking..... completely cut my drinking down to a point where I'm not arsed anymore.  Anyone who knows anyone who is interested in it... it's called the Sinclair method.  It will work for people who wanna just cut down or people who have a bigger problem.

Drink related depression was getting tough for me so it was the right step at the right time. Add in the fact that work is tough with a fuzzy brain and 2 toddlers don't understand hangovers and it was the right call. It would take me 4 days to recover from a night out 

I enjoy waking up rested now.   I enjoyed my 20's and 30's and all the social side but drinking is not without its pitfalls.... dangerous drug. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am very much a binge drinker can go without a drink for over a month and then I go with friends and get hammered, not with the intention of doing so it's like I have that one to many then I have no thought process to control myself.

It's probably the only thing that causes an argument between me and the wife, that I'll go out with mate's 6 or 7 times a year and get home at 3 or 4 in the morning not knowing from about 10 were I've been and what I've said or done until I'm told not good a to be honest quite dangerous on a few levels.

And probably the worst thing is I never get a hangover so I don't repent, the wife says if I had a hangover that equated to what I drunk I wouldn't do it again and she's probably right, yet I tell myself it's a great when really I know it's not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hafnia said:

I've swapped alcohol for caffeine.... alcohol was becoming a problem for me.  Not in the sense that I was drinking in mornings and stuff but I was drinking to get through stress- then when I had a hangover I would have a few hairs of dogs.  I actually tried something I seen in menshealth - naltrexone.   Take one an hour before drinking..... completely cut my drinking down to a point where I'm not arsed anymore.  Anyone who knows anyone who is interested in it... it's called the Sinclair method.  It will work for people who wanna just cut down or people who have a bigger problem.

Drink related depression was getting tough for me so it was the right step at the right time. Add in the fact that work is tough with a fuzzy brain and 2 toddlers don't understand hangovers and it was the right call. It would take me 4 days to recover from a night out 

I enjoy waking up rested now.   I enjoyed my 20's and 30's and all the social side but drinking is not without its pitfalls.... dangerous drug. 

Well done Haf credit to your sense of responsibility to sort your self out and have the conviction to do it.👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Well done Haf credit to your sense of responsibility to sort your self out and have the conviction to do it.👍

Cheers palf. It was all about looking where I used to be drinking wise..... young lad, going out on the pull having beers with mates and bettering the gym in the week... drinking 2 or 3 days a week.

 

To where I was -  drinking in men's pubs in middle of week after a shit day at work, drinking cans in house... sweating all day on a Monday and feeling the boost blues till Thursday.  I then projected my future trajectory and didn't like what I seen.  Alcohol for me is a progressive trap.  Bloody expensive too!

It's glorified. Very taxing on the body.  I'm the type of person who is full speed or stop so moderation isn'tt a characteristic of mine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something I’m coming out of too, but caffeine is not the answer for me either with my metabolism. I coffee in the morning for me, a glass of fruit juice and then only milk and water for the rest of the day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a year of commuting weekly to New York, my doctor gave me a right rollicking for eating out every lunchtime and microwave meals for dinner. My bloodwork showed the impact on cholesterol, fat, blood pressure, etc. I went on a strict diet. 

What. A. Difference. 

Now, if I eat anything processed or generally unhealthy, I feel it weighing heavily in my stomach. I had to buy a new pair of jeans because of a dramatic reduction in waist size, and I may have to do the same again soon. I feel much better and also try to get to the gym most days. I should have done this years ago!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, MikeO said:

 

How does one define "drunk" though? John you've mentioned on several occasions that you've had gifts of malt and wine and partaken so you have plainly at times been "under the influence" of alcohol to some extent, Steve I don't know. When does one become the other? I know when I've had long periods off "the sauce" that the smallest amount can make me daft; not challenging or looking for an answer, just thinking out loud.

For me now the "evil" is caffeine, I stopped any intake not for health reasons but because I can't tolerate hot drinks any more. On Zakynthos last year I had a (cooled) Greek coffee to try to wake myself a bit after early morning/long drive and flight and it completely destroyed my head; had to sit for well in excess of an hour as we were several miles from our accommodation and there was no way I could drive until it had worn off. Hated that feeling.

I seldom have more than a small dram of whisky, or a single glass of wine, or one pint of beer.   Never drink sufficient that I can't drive the car.  I think I am a bit of a control freak and getting drunk means you lose control.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, johnh said:

I seldom have more than a small dram of whisky, or a single glass of wine, or one pint of beer.   Never drink sufficient that I can't drive the car.  I think I am a bit of a control freak and getting drunk means you lose control.

Always a good move that. Remember though many decades ago when drink-driving didn't carry the stigma that it (rightly) does now; my dad and my brother regularly drove well over the limit, as did I on my motorbikes. More than once I got up for work in the morning and found my bike lying down in mum's rose beds with no memory of how it got there, and she was more worried about her roses than my drinking habits!

Would never drink/drive now though, and with speed limiter/cruise control I never break speed limits either. What annoys me intently is people (who I come across all the time in the lanes and villages of Devon) who do 40 mph in 50/60 limits and then carry on at 40 when they hit 20/30 limits. One minute they're annoying the hell out of you for their pedestrian pace and then they disappear into the distance; and where are the police? Doing paperwork (not that I blame them for a minute, not their fault):rolleyes:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s zero tolerance here in my canton(county), I think in the country, but there are cantons famous for drink driving here. If I see a licence plate from one of several cantons on the motorway, I always give them a wide birth. 

My biggest concern is mobile usage while driving. It’s not like most don’t have cars with Bluetooth here, but it’s insane the number of people who text and drive 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know anything about the CeeVoo HDTV antenna and if they are any good apparently they are very big in the USA, thinking of buying a few but not sure if there just a gimmick and a waste of money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was about fifty yards from one of my daughters place this morning. Also meant that my lad's train home was cancelled after he'd been down for a few days, train company sent a coach but there were more passengers than seats so him and three others got taken to Taunton for an onward connection by one of the station staff in his car; I'd have thought that's definitely dodgy insurance wise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my DNA results back and I'm 45% Scandinavian, so by rights I should be a Liverpool fan😂. Rest is 24.8% Welsh/Scottish/Irish, 18.2% English and 12% East European.

Can't stop, got a night of rape and pillaging to plan so as to channel my inner Viking:P!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, johnh said:

Regarding the wall that that guy Hadrian built.   Have the Scots paid for it yet?

And did it ever come close to working?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I've been mixing these two on toast and in sandwiches for fifty odd years, finally the manufacturers catch on!

 

Always knew there was something wrong with you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matt said:

That cancer really did screw up your sense of taste, didn’t it?

Funny enough Marmite is one of the few things that still tastes the same as it did before, what I miss most is a nice hot curry; used to love them but now they do nothing for me😪. I still eat them occasionally and my brain knows when it's a good one but my taste buds disagree:(.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MikeO said:

I've been mixing these two on toast and in sandwiches for fifty odd years, finally the manufacturers catch on!

 

I do not like peanut butter (I have some in the house now, but no matter how hard I try  I can not get on with the stuff.  Have you tried this stuff  though? https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/heinz-yellow-honey-mustard-220ml only £1 from Morrisons at the moment  and it is wonderful  to eat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, rubecula said:

I do not like peanut butter (I have some in the house now, but no matter how hard I try  I can not get on with the stuff.  Have you tried this stuff  though? https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/heinz-yellow-honey-mustard-220ml only £1 from Morrisons at the moment  and it is wonderful  to eat.

We do have some of that in the fridge but I'm a Colemans fan, preferably the powder you mix yourself as it's stronger than the pre made jars. Love mustard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MikeO said:

We do have some of that in the fridge but I'm a Colemans fan, preferably the powder you mix yourself as it's stronger than the pre made jars 

me too mike  but that Heinz stuff tastes  good enough to lick off your fingers  lol lol

and it is very mild too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, MikeO said:

Funny enough Marmite is one of the few things that still tastes the same as it did before, what I miss most is a nice hot curry; used to love them but now they do nothing for me😪. I still eat them occasionally and my brain knows when it's a good one but my taste buds disagree:(.

Shit will always taste like shit mate 😛 

i do have some weird taste preferences. I love peanuts but can’t stand peanut butter for example, or I love basil but hate pesto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matt said:

Shit will always taste like shit mate 😛 

i do have some weird taste preferences. I love peanuts but can’t stand peanut butter for example, or I love basil but hate pesto

There is only one thing that I hate, and I mean HATE.  'Garlic'😝.  Must be descended from Dracula.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

agreed.  charlotte is awful as well.  laguardia too.  

You've not lived, I flew in and out of Banjul airport in The Gambia in 1989 (bad enough) not to mention communist era Sofia in Bulgaria a few years previously (where I lost my boarding pass coming home and was last man standing surrounded by armed military, convinced the plane was going without me and I was going to a cell).

My father in law used to tell us the story of when he was flying home from Alderney in the Channel Islands many moons ago and the door fell off the plane as they started the take-off run:lol:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...