Ian

Longest Thread!

I remember going to St. Thomas in the US Virgin Islands some years ago, you couldn’t land directly from UK due to there runway being too small. 

So had to fly into Antigua and get on a local plane called an Island hopper not much bigger than a 16 seater mini bus, you had no door between you and the two pilots just a red curtain and one stewardess with no refreshments 

When we got on we were the only white people so it was very much a locals service if I remember called Liat, there was an old guy with a wicker basket full of chickens 🐓, just before we took the off stewardess went round spraying everyone with this large aerosol can. 

It was my first time in a small prop plane with two pilots who looked and sounded like Bob Marley I was shitting myself, we were up and down four times before we got to our destination getting sprayed at every stop I couldn’t wait for it to end, then it sunk in we had to do the same trip going home what a nightmare, thank you British Airways’s. 

Been working on a family tree today after signing up to one of those sites where you can access all sorts of records going back hundreds of years, totally addictive! Back to great grandparents from the 1860's on one side of the family and found a first cousin twice removed (my grandfather's brother's granddaughter) and been chatting with her. Learnt stuff I never knew already, my dad virtually never talked about his side of the family because it "broke" when he was young. Had to drag myself off the computer with about twelve windows open to get something to eat, can't believe what the time is.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Been working on a family tree today after signing up to one of those sites where you can access all sorts of records going back hundreds of years, totally addictive! Back to great grandparents from the 1860's on one side of the family and found a first cousin twice removed (my grandfather's brother's granddaughter) and been chatting with her. Learnt stuff I never knew already, my dad virtually never talked about his side of the family because it "broke" when he was young. Had to drag myself off the computer with about twelve windows open to get something to eat, can't believe what the time is.

Sodding update lost my response. Which site Mike? Been talking about it with me mum

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

Sodding update lost my response. Which site Mike? Been talking about it with me mum

Sorry Matt, https://www.myheritage.com/ is the one I've been using. The DNA test gave me two close matches (along with a couple of thousand "3rd to 5th" cousins) and I upgraded this morning for full records access. Already found out that my grandfathers two brothers who were both younger than him died well before he did, 1935 and 1948 while he struggled on to 1957, I have a picture of the three of them in uniform going off to fight in WW1 and that Archie (my grandfather) and his brother Harry married women who were cousins. Also have an address where the family lived from the 1921 census which looking at streetview has been knocked down (or maybe bombed out in WW2, it was in Harrow).

The match on my mum's side I have to be cautious about, it's a lad in his twenties who's the grandson of my mum's brother, but I know his daughter had drug problems and had kids taken into care so he may not even know who his mum is for all I know; she's OK now and I talk to her occasionally but I'm trying to work out how to deal with that one.

Fascinating stuff though but time consuming, and I'm sure the further back I go the harder it'll be. Definitely recommend it though.

10 hours ago, MikeO said:

Sorry Matt, https://www.myheritage.com/ is the one I've been using. The DNA test gave me two close matches (along with a couple of thousand "3rd to 5th" cousins) and I upgraded this morning for full records access. Already found out that my grandfathers two brothers who were both younger than him died well before he did, 1935 and 1948 while he struggled on to 1957, I have a picture of the three of them in uniform going off to fight in WW1 and that Archie (my grandfather) and his brother Harry married women who were cousins. Also have an address where the family lived from the 1921 census which looking at streetview has been knocked down (or maybe bombed out in WW2, it was in Harrow).

The match on my mum's side I have to be cautious about, it's a lad in his twenties who's the grandson of my mum's brother, but I know his daughter had drug problems and had kids taken into care so he may not even know who his mum is for all I know; she's OK now and I talk to her occasionally but I'm trying to work out how to deal with that one.

Fascinating stuff though but time consuming, and I'm sure the further back I go the harder it'll be. Definitely recommend it though.

Cheers mate. My mums cousin did it for her side (going back 400 years to Ireland, with Scottish, English, Welsh and French thrown in along the way) but my dads side is a mystery 

Just sold my Audi😪. But I got a decent price and it was daft having that much cash tied up in the drive for most of the time, I only did about 2,000 miles in it in the last year.

I hate haggling, though on this occasion it was easier because I had a "red line" and was quite willing to keep it for another year if it wasn't met, and it was more than met:).

But still....:crying:.

I'm staying overnight at a hotel near Gatwick airport, having spent the week in Nice and flying to New York tomorrow. If ever you're in Nice, I recommend Le Frog restaurant. It's distinctive, and the food is great. It's not often you find a menu like this...

lFao9ix.jpg

you haven't been to new orleans then.  turtle soup, gator sausage, soft shell crab (you eat the whole crab), raw oysters, crawish, shrimps, redfish, turducken, and i read an article Dr. John loves raccoon and squirrel and has a private chef prepare them both.  

4 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

you haven't been to new orleans then.  turtle soup, gator sausage, soft shell crab (you eat the whole crab), raw oysters, crawish, shrimps, redfish, turducken, and i read an article Dr. John loves raccoon and squirrel and has a private chef prepare them both.  

German duck turd? I think I’ll give that one a pass. 

Last time I was in France a couple of years back I sampled oysters for the first time, last day staying with my brother (just me and him, no family) had them in a beautiful Bordeaux square with white wine with a superb busker playing Santana stuff in the background. Brilliant stuff!

Looks a decent menu that Steve, not a frog's legs fan but I'm partial to snails 

Read a long article on "prosperity theology" in the US on the plane today, about Joel Osteen mostly; fastest growing arm of Christianity over there according to the article with more traditional congregations falling. Be interested to hear what our American members views are on that, @Cornish Steve in particular. Sounded a bit frightening to me, but I've obviously only read the one piece, never heard of it before.

46 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Read a long article on "prosperity theology" in the US on the plane today, about Joel Osteen mostly; fastest growing arm of Christianity over there according to the article with more traditional congregations falling. Be interested to hear what our American members views are on that, @Cornish Steve in particular. Sounded a bit frightening to me, but I've obviously only read the one piece, never heard of it before.

people are attracted to what they want.  if you want to be rich, the prosperity gospel churches will appeal to you.  is it correct theology?  no, not at all.  all it takes is one read through the bible to see all the massive holes in the prosperity theology.  jesus himself was in his later years homeless and without any possessions.  hardly rich.  the early church in the book of acts sold their possessions and gave to those in need as a community helping one another.  but if you are greedy and want that big McMansion with the BMW in the driveway that doesn't appeal to you.  helping the poor sick widowed and imprisoned isn'tt "your thing".  so you go to the prosperity gospel church which tells you what you want to hear.

20 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

people are attracted to what they want.  if you want to be rich, the prosperity gospel churches will appeal to you.  is it correct theology?  no, not at all.  all it takes is one read through the bible to see all the massive holes in the prosperity theology.  jesus himself was in his later years homeless and without any possessions.  hardly rich.  the early church in the book of acts sold their possessions and gave to those in need as a community helping one another.  but if you are greedy and want that big McMansion with the BMW in the driveway that doesn't appeal to you.  helping the poor sick widowed and imprisoned isn'tttt "your thing".  so you go to the prosperity gospel church which tells you what you want to hear.

Another disturbing fact in an increasingly frightening World it seems then:(. I'd love to be 19 again but in many ways I'm glad I'm 59, the future is scary.