IGNORED

Longest Thread!

Ian

And I thought that song by Opeth went on for ages. The first notes in the longest and slowest piece of music in history, designed to go on for 639 years, are being played on a German church organ on Wednesday. The three notes, which will last for a year-and-a-half, are just the start of the piece, called As Slow As Possible. Composed by late avant-garde composer John Cage, the performance has already been going for 17 months - although all that has been heard so far is the sound of the organ's bellows being inflated. It was originally a 20-minute piece for piano, but a group of musicians and philosophers decided to take the title literally and work out how long the longest possible piece of music could last. They settled on 639 years because the Halberstadt organ was 639 years old in the year 2000.

Seems like it woulden't be a quick single and we've not even heard the ending of the intro. I doubt the song will finish, something will happen that destroys the organ and they will have to start again. <_<

Interesting man Cage, my favourite of his is 4'33". It's the one piece I can play proficiently on the tuba B) .

"4′33″ is an experimental musical work by avant-garde composer John Cage. It consists of just over four and a half minutes of silence. Though first performed on the piano, the piece was composed for any instrument or instruments and is structured in three movements. The length of each movement is not fixed by the composer, nor is the total length of the piece. The title of the piece should reflect the timings chosen, and could therefore be different at every performance. The modern performance tradition of 4′33″ is to keep the total duration fixed as at the first performance."

I went to see metallica in Sheffield last saturday and they were fooking awsome dude

Stayed over in sheffied and it reminded me that there are a couple of people who went to uni in sheff off here.

However, after spending one day and night in sheffield I have come to realise that it is quite a shite hole with no soul to speak of and pretty little else, luckily it does have the sheffield arena and it did have Metallica for one night only

The second best part of my trip was driving through the peak district, what a beautiful piece of the county, I will be visiting soon again

My friend went watching Metallica on Thursday, MEN Arena I think. He said that the gig was awesome, they have a large fanbase considering their music is poor. They're over-rated in my opinion and I turned down the tickets for Thursday. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the gig though Zed. Sheffield is a bit of a dump but you get that with most major cities don't you? It's not bad just for the night.

I had a similar experiance at Birmingham. I went there to watch Lostprophets, we pulled up and got parked before going onto the pavement to witness a scrap involving about thiry people, one guy was on the floor having hell kicked out of him whilst others had a scuffle between themselves. Not a good place from what I saw, nice enough for the night but I prefer my home.

B)

I went to see metallica in Sheffield last saturday and they were fooking awsome dude

Stayed over in sheffied and it reminded me that there are a couple of people who went to uni in sheff off here.

However, after spending one day and night in sheffield I have come to realise that it is quite a shite hole with no soul to speak of and pretty little else, luckily it does have the sheffield arena and it did have Metallica for one night only

The second best part of my trip was driving through the peak district, what a beautiful piece of the county, I will be visiting soon again

I was at that gig as well! Crazyness. I must admit that I share your feelings about Sheffield. Its pretty much a dive. I mean I have lived here for just under 18 months. I have been mugged twice, once at knife point, and had my house burgeled where they took all of my stuff, even my fucking clothes!

I'll be leaving in 2 months though and can't wait!

Whereabouts in Kent are you going to be Jamie?

Tunbridge Wells. The polar opposite of Sheffield. I'm not too crazy about it but my girlfriend lives there and it only takes 35 mins to get into London where I am looking for work. We will only be staying there for 6 months while she runs out the last part of her contract at her job and then we will be moving somewhere else. Not sure just where yet though. Not Sheffield.

Its a nice place in most parts Kent Jamie my missus used to live in Chatham her sister still does we bob down every so often its a nicer place then Preston <_< .

Im pretty bored myself Romey mate im on night shift for the next seven days so start work at 10:55 tonight till 06:55 tomorrow morning so im just trying to think of stuff i could be doing in the mean time which is not much really :P

Its a nice place in most parts Kent Jamie my missus used to live in Chatham her sister still does we bob down every so often its a nicer place then Preston <_< .

Im pretty bored myself Romey mate im on night shift for the next seven days so start work at 10:55 tonight till 06:55 tomorrow morning so im just trying to think of stuff i could be doing in the mean time which is not much really :P

Yeah, I lived in Canterbury for 4 years so know Kent quite well., its just a little bit dull. You have to travel to London to have a decent night out, and thats bloody expensive!

Oh and Mark, I am bored shitless as well. Have bits and pieces of work to do but keep finding mindless crap to distract me.

I'm joining this convo, as I am bored too.

It's been a day consisting of poetry, digestion, algebra, evacutation and computer work. Which has really got me in the mood for the weekend, I want it to come soon so that I can have a big lie-in. I've not yawned as much as I have today and I'm blaming schoolwork. It's terrible and boring, it's just good that I've finished most of it and got ten minutes to myself on here.

Edited by dark

It's a good day when your outside - which I'm not :angry:

Didn't even have a game of football today, I'm injured :( Just like Everton I suppose, everyone's getting the bug. It's bad indoors, the people from Health & Safety say that we have to keep the radiators at a certain temperature so that we don't get ill. They obviously didn't think about when its roasting! So the room is hot as ever with a radiator blasting out. Ridiculous.

Edited by dark